The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

have seen it in person and the engineering sample is already the quality of our long established brands, it even has the warning active tilt safety labels on.

it was nice chatting with the guys even asked them to do the APT-P as there second model they are really connected to there customer better than other manufactures.

I can't wait to get mine now. last time I was looking forward to a model like this was the blue pullman.

It was great meeting so many of you!  These are indeed very rough first castings.  Our biggest concern is that UK modellers are used to seeing unpainted test samples that they might think this is "final" when they see it in the magazines or online.

The stripes were painted using masking tape and are not remotely straight!  So please remember these are first test shots.

All that being said, Bill and I are delighted with how these turned out and now we're going to concentrate on finishing the tooling in time for the York show.

-Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The stripes were painted using masking tape and are not remotely straight! So please remember these are first test shots.

;) yes noted they were a bit wonky in places but having the other rapido models in the cabinet should alay any fears in that dept :)

I wish I had the spare space and money but with so many models that will fit on my short layout I will remain an admirer despite temptation. Very impressive guys!

I'm vainly trying to post pics of how 'straight' the real thing's stripes were, but the site just WON'T let me do it! :nono:

We had a tremendous day at Warley and I don't think I stopped talking to people from the time I arrived to when I left! I hope my voice recovers before tomorrow......

While Jason and Bill were talking to other potential customers standing in front of the tall 'APT-E' poster, the same one that's been standing in front of the train at Shildon since the 3D scan day, occasionally I'd hear a voice raised in my direction which ended '..... and that's him there!' followed by people's heads turning and staring at me! This was almost always followed by an intensive question and answer session with the head turners and I was pretty impressed with the level of the questions. So many people knew LOADS about the train already, which restored my faith in the average Brit Railway Modeller I must say.

I never thought I'd live to see the day that anyone made an RTR model of E-Train and seeing one THAT good was awe inspiring, the level of detail on the bogies, for example, is incredible. You guys have done an amazing job Jason and Bill, hats off to you.

• Like 11

From Warley today, photo heavy. For the first test shot its a stunner and well done to Rapido for leading the way. They promise and deliver!
15237983454_77eac9a172_c.jpg
S1730011 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr
15859631192_ec7c6d961a_c.jpg
S1730012 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr
15858273371_983cdea523_c.jpg
S1730013 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr
15834442146_4bb2fd8989_c.jpg
S1730025 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr
15240602083_fc152920ac_c.jpg
S1730026 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr
15672913400_f47ddb1bcc_c.jpg
S1730027 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr
15858260231_ea45ee5c6f_c.jpg
S1730028 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

You were all a very friendly bunch and didn't look remotely bored by the questions.  Rapido have bought a breath of fresh air to the British modelling scene.

More than can be said of a few of the attendees of the show. :O

• Like 6

Today was the day for my annual trip to the Warley show.

As the doors opened at 9.15, I made a beeline straight toward the Locomotion stand and was met by Bill in a very fetching APT-E Branded turtle neck. After revelling in what can only be described as an astonishingly good example of a 'rough draft' model for several minutes, I started chatting with Bill. Having followed the assorted APT-E/Rapido threads on here, I had the impression that both he and Jason would be very approachable and I was not disappointed on this front. After a short period of pleasant banter with Bill, we were joined by Mr. Tilt himself, who then joined in with the conversation and got his 'ongoing project' N gauge APT-E out for show and tell. 

A slightly worse-for-wear Jason then showed up. Not quite sure whether it was the late night or the Indian food that did him in. He did seem to perk up somewhat after I (the first person on their visit to do so) shouted "GO HABS" in his general direction.

After much discussion about APT-E, the company's performance and philosophy and an upcoming project that they can't say too much about as it might upset one of the other manufacturers (sshhh!) and pressing my nose against the glass of the cabinet housing the model, I shook hands with the 3 stooges and and walked away from the stand, 45 minutes after I arrived and extremely comfortable with handing over a large chunk of money to them, knowing I will not be disappointed with the end result.

The level of information the guys at Rapido are constantly drip feeding us is phenomenal and in my eyes very important as without us the consumer, they would not survive, but also I feel that by being involved in every step of the journey, you get a deeper understanding and appreciation of the amount of time, effort, blood and sweat that goes into the development and production of what some people still view as a toy. Not only that, but the way that Bill and Jason interact with their public means that instead of dealing with a large, faceless company, you see the human side of it all which in my eyes is undervalued by a lot of people.

Mr. Spackman was very friendly and was more than happy to regale me with various stories of his days working on the various tilting projects. I particularly enjoyed when he was looked down upon for being in first class in mucky overalls whilst carrying a rather large spanner, the occasion of alighting from APT-E to go to a Rod Stewart concert and the communications headset that was modified to play the Three Degrees throughout the train.

Today was a good day.

• Like 8

Today was the day for my annual trip to the Warley show.

After much discussion about . . . an upcoming project that they can't say too much about as it might upset one of the other manufacturers (sshhh!)

Interesting post, but I thought I'd highlight the above in case anyone glossed over it!  Where's the froth icon? :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Mr. Spackman was very friendly and was more than happy to regale me with various stories of his days working on the various tilting projects. I particularly enjoyed when he was looked down upon for being in first class in mucky overalls whilst carrying a rather large spanner, the occasion of alighting from APT-E to go to a Rod Stewart concert and the communications headset that was modified to play the Three Degrees throughout the train.

Likewise, I had a short conversation with Kit - I'm sure he could write a book on his experiences/stories/anecdotes.

I nearly succumbed to a second APT-E after seeing the samples yesterday/today.

Congratulations to Jason and all involved on such a whirlwind project.

Cheers,

Mick

Interesting post, but I thought I'd highlight the above in case anyone glossed over it!  Where's the froth icon? :mosking:

Maybe a reference to N gauge 390's by any chance?

Cheers,

Mick

Seeing as Warley is a bit of a trek for me I'd like to thank Richard w and Wolf27 for posting those photos.

I'd also like to thank Jason and the rest of the team (again!) for going ahead with this model. Looks so good as it is, I'm really pleased to have pre-ordered it and can't wait for it to arrive.

Hat's off to Rapido as you've put your money where you're mouth is and are delivering on what you say, something that often seems to be missing from so many aspects of our lives.

Keep up the good work, haven't been so glued to one particular thread for a long time.

Martin

Seeing as Warley is a bit of a trek for me I'd like to thank Richard w and Wolf27 for posting those photos.

I'd also like to thank Jason and the rest of the team (again!) for going ahead with this model. Looks so good as it is, I'm really pleased to have pre-ordered it and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks and you're welcome!

I was about to comment that nowhere in the UK is too far from Warley until I noticed you are in Korea. OK - you win!  

It was great to meet so many of you at the show. Bill will be at York and I'm sorry I will miss it! But I will be back at Warley next year. Between now and then we'll be busy doing all sorts of 3D scans, most of which you guys will find about only afterwards. Sorry! (I'm Canadian - I apologize a lot. Sorry about that.)

But talks are already under way about the possibility of another 3D Scan Railway Party somewhere in the UK for 2015. I will keep you well teased about that....

Best regards,

Jason

• Like 3

I'm very disappointed that Rapido have chosen not to present the much promised and eagerly anticipated scale model of the very excellent Mr Tilt at Warley this year. I understood that this was to be an integral part of the APT-E complete with British Rail Engineering sandwich?

Guest CPRAIL3000

Having been a Rapido customer since they started I have got to say it was a pleasure to meet Bill and Jason at Warley.  The quality of the Canadian models have improved with every model release and the APT-E will benefit from this experience.  

Right Jason after are little chat go get that scanner running, find an RS23 and make a CP Rail modeller very happy!

I'm very disappointed that Rapido have chosen not to present the much promised and eagerly anticipated scale model of the very excellent Mr Tilt at Warley this year. I understood that this was to be an integral part of the APT-E complete with British Rail Engineering sandwich?

While various people have suggested that in the past, it wasn't a serious possibility on Rapido's part.

Having said that others HAVE suggested that a suitable crew, not just me, would increase the interest of looking inside TC2, but it would need a 3rd party operation to produce such figures.

It ought not to be just me, other notables of the crew should include Hugh Williams in Train Control, Alan Goodley at Turbine Control, the late Ray Coleman on Power Control, Martin Collins monitoring the Brakes, Malc Wilson overlooking Instrumentation, Barry May running the Redcor computer. Photos of all of us still exist as we looked then but the figures would need a VAST amount of resin in order to reproduce our flared trousers and kipper ties of the period, and that's not counting my hair back then!!  :no:

If we included the cabs there should be figures of Brian Porter in the leading cab and the late Alan Rimmer in the rear cab, not to mention some of the office staff 'riding the cushions' in the VIP compartment of TC1, perhaps my wife Mary being one of them?

There were also many numbers of people just monitoring proceedings as well, it could get VERY crowded in there at times, see below.

5r5RcO.jpg

Of course it got REALLY entertaining if the tilt system failed.........

IIzD4H.jpg

As for the cheese sandwich, it surely WILL be included in the final mouldings, correctly jammed under the door. Bill and I were discussing if it should be a 'square edged bread' or a 'rounded edge bread' sandwich at Warley as photos of both versions are available, however it's likely to be the square version as it's slightly easier to mould. 'Round Edge' version shown below.

qPQGBe.jpg

As you can see in the detail pic of the TC2 interior below, the door is already correctly moulded but the fine detail like the sandwich, my table and the Tilt Control panel aren't yet cut.

yMUeKb.jpg

Oh yes, it's not a BR Engineering sandwich, it's a Mrs. Williams sandwich.  :no:

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 9

I presume that the sandwich will be white bread back in those days before we all started to think about brown bread en masse :sungum:

Indeed it will, and Bill wanted to know if it had to have the crusts cut off or not too, but I assured him that all door stop sandwiches came with crusts attached.

We did ponder on the type of cheese to be depicted and I came down on the side of 'Standard British Moustrap', and definitely sans such enhancements as mayo or any sort of sauce.