Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Both of mine ran very nicely straight out of the box. One has just had 30 minutes in each direction on the rolling road, as recommended, and I'll do the other one later. Hanging about watching out for it, in case something happens, is similar to watching paint dry, and I can see the benefit of a continuous run!

It looks like the packaging problem hasn't been resolved. One has the bunker lamp bracket broken off, while the other one has both tank vents broken off, the front screw coupling is broken, and so is the front vacuum pipe.

But apart from that, they look very nice.

Thats a great shame - so short sighted not to have decent packaging, sorry to see that yours were damaged.

Mine should be here next Tuesday or Weds - fingers crossed.

Further exploration of the packaging (after I took the photo) showed that the coupling had fallen apart rather than being broken. I'm planning to replace them with Dinghams anyway. The brake pipes appear to be the wrong type, as all the relevant photos I've seen show upright pipes on the opposite side of the coupling. So they'll have to go too.

attachicon.gifDSCF7746.JPG

So the main annoying fault is the broken tank vents. Have other people with this problem fixed them themselves, or got new parts?

attachicon.gifDSCF7747.JPG

I think I can fix the missing lamp bracket myself, although I wonder if it existed. The photos I've seen so far show there should be brackets on the footplate behind each rear buffer, that have been omitted from the model. So maybe the bad packaging has helped to remove things I'll want off anyway (apart from the tank vents)!

attachicon.gifDSCF7748.JPG

Sorry to see the damage - perhaps an opportunity to use LWB parts and make some improvements in that regard? Just trying to stay positive.

I hope that you can get it sorted soon - any other product and I suspect that most of us would return it for a replacement or refund...

Did think of making them, but for the price decided on a couple of Roxey Mouldings Westinghouse Pumps, just ordered....

Good idea! BTW did you get around to taking a lot of photos on the Bluebell visit?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thats a great shame - so short sighted not to have decent packaging, sorry to see that yours were damaged.

The other thing about the packaging is that it's no use for storing the loco in. The box and foam bits are fine, but messing about putting it in the folding plastic bit, then sliding the plastic sleeve over it, is pretty irritating and time consuming. It would be quicker without the sleeve, but then it catches on the foam lining the box, and is difficult to get in. I think the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, which is all foam, is much better.

Sorry to see the damage - perhaps an opportunity to use LWB parts and make some improvements in that regard? Just trying to stay positive.

The plastic parts are a bit worrying, as the locos need to be handled very carefully on a working layout. I think I need something like the Peco Loco Lift, but I'm not sure it work work with my Hudswell Clarke, as I think it could damage the plastic handrails.

The other thing about the packaging is that it's no use for storing the loco in. The box and foam bits are fine, but messing about putting it in the folding plastic bit, then sliding the plastic sleeve over it, is pretty irritating and time consuming. It would be quicker without the sleeve, but then it catches on the foam lining the box, and is difficult to get in. I think the Ixion Hudswell Clarke, which is all foam, is much better.

The plastic parts are a bit worrying, as the locos need to be handled very carefully on a working layout. I think I need something like the Peco Loco Lift, but I'm not sure it work work with my Hudswell Clarke, as I think it could damage the plastic handrails.

Sorry to hear that too! 

I think this is a problem in 7mm full stop. Even the Heljan diesels, with great packaging, will be problematic when all the pipes and dangly bits are fitted - ie they wont go back in the box! Before I got into 7mm, storage of the locos and stock as an issue didnt occur to me (our SM32 stock is fairly robust)- now its an unsolved problem! The Heljan boxes for their tank wagons are also as much use as a chocolate fire-guard too.

The Ixion Fowler fits back in its box a real treat - but of course there is no pipe work on that loco - but even so the packaging is well thought out in terms of transit and storage.

I always wondered why reviewers in the GOG Gazette went on about a kit being able to fit in its box after being built - because its important as 7mm takes up a lot of space and locos and stock can be fragile and expensive/hassle to repair (after paint has been applied).

ATVB

CME

The Bigbee Line, on 06 Nov 2015 - 18:59, said:snapback.png

Did think of making them, but for the price decided on a couple of Roxey Mouldings Westinghouse Pumps, just ordered....

Good idea! BTW did you get around to taking a lot of photos on the Bluebell visit?

ATVB

CME

Took a few pictures  https://www.flickr.com/photos/55938574@N03/albums/72157660985737241

Hmmm,  I've had a blue Terrier on pre-order from Tower Models for what feels like years and they haven't been in contact yet.

I'm trying to decide whether to ring them or not.

The thing is that the LBSCR examples looked amazing in IEG and really made me want one but the blue ones just aren't doing it for me for some reason.  A catalogue photo showed an N gauge model and it looked really nice in bright blue but for some reason the production version looks duller but still just puts me in mind of Thomas the tank.

Not sure what to do,  I don't need one for my freelance Colonel Stephans style line but I always intended to get one.

The photos can be rather misleading, Bodiam's blue looks rather light in the Hattons pictures but a lovely deep blue on Dapol's Facebook page. Looking at online photographs of the 'improved engine green' versions I thought they looked too yellow but when I saw the actual model at a show it looked the right colour.

I think the real thing could look black in some lights. Dapol originally got the colour too bright, and it was changed at the last minute, which is why there were no photos of the final version available until a few days ago. The blue takes a bit of getting used to, as it's unusual for someone used to locos being green or black. It's nowhere near as striking as IEG must be, although I haven't seen one (might get too tempted if I did!). Whether the colour is right or not, I think it looks about right, but from the photos I've taken, it's challenging to get the colour accurate. I'm certainly happy with the colour, and think my two should look pretty good on the layout I'm planning for them, set in around 1905/06. I think the world at the time was a far more colourful place than black and white photos lead us to believe, but possibly rather odd to modern eyes, and they'll fit in well.

I think I read on Tower Models web site that they were expecting them last Friday, and sending them out this week. I bought mine from Hattons, and when I phoned them last Tuesday to double my order, they hadn't heard anything about them having arrived at Dapol, so it was pretty impressive that they delivered mine on Friday! I'm guessing that Tower Models may not have such a fast and efficient warehouse as Hattons, so will take longer to deliver them.

Edited by BG John

I'm thinking about making a new "inner" for mine. Does someone cut foam to order?

The other option is to make the inner from foam sheet. Does someone sell suitable foam?

Never thought about replacing the horrible plastic inner - good call. For my loco and coach boxes I usually get case foam cut to size from

https://www.efoam.co.uk/packaging-foam.php

but they tend to be strips cut to my specific width and thickness requirements, however the 'pick and pluck pre-cubed' may be of use for a loco?

I tend to think that as long as there's a layer above the chimney, dome and roof it's not going to move much, the strip foam is easy to cut with a serrated blade such as an Exacto Saw, but cutting out the shape of a loco is a bit harder.

Peter

The box is huuggee! It's big enough for two Terriers without the plastic bits. It would be fine for storing both of them with a bit of extra foam. I think the best way is to stand them upright, and lift them in and out by the chimney and roof.

I think the other box could be used to hold several wagons.

Had my Late crest terrier today, superb. Packaging is naff though.

Scott

Photos please (mine arrives tomorrow) - what does the chimney look like?....

The box is huuggee! It's big enough for two Terriers without the plastic bits. It would be fine for storing both of them with a bit of extra foam. I think the best way is to stand them upright, and lift them in and out by the chimney and roof.

I think the other box could be used to hold several wagons.

The modern world, wasteful, ineffectual packaging.

ATVB

CME

I think there's enough foam in the two boxes to pack them safely into one box. It just needs a bit of cutting down, with no fancy shaping:

post-7091-0-61724900-1447108738.jpg

post-7091-0-76003800-1447108755.jpg

Room for four vans or eight open wagons in the other box, with some foam packing:

post-7091-0-75493700-1447108766.jpg

• Like 1

Hi CME

It looks super I'm very happy, ill try to get some pictures. As for the chimney didn't really look, the cab detail drew my attention more and the fine coupling rods. Very happy with the loco

Hi EB,

Glad to hear it.

I think that the model has hit the mark in that it can almost be all things to all men (and women) in that it looks nice to run out of the box, as its, overall accurate and looks right, yet can be fettled by those of us that which to.

Just interested to see if the chimney sits right on the smoke-box.

Kindest,

CME

I think there's enough foam in the two boxes to pack them safely into one box. It just needs a bit of cutting down, with no fancy shaping:

attachicon.gifDSCF7757.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF7758.JPG

Room for four vans or eight open wagons in the other box, with some foam packing:

attachicon.gifDSCF7759.JPG

That box is madness!

Not only is it too big for the loco, but its bigger than it needs to be and thus will take up more storage space at home (shipping space too if one wants to get all logistical/cost analysis about it). Very strange. Unless of course the box is designed for larger, later releases, such as the 08 et al. With a box that big it requires the right type and shape of foam packaging within to stop the model from rattling around within.

I have to say again, without wishing to be/or sound sycophantic, that the packaging on the Ixion Fowler box is spot on.

Tower models were in contact today for delivery Tuesday

Dava

Likewise Dava.

My better half took a phone call Friday to say as much. An email today indicated that Tower had been working very hard to get the models out on time, in good order (sounds like a fair amount of extra work had to be undertaken by Tower so as to overcome the various packaging issues?). Time will tell, let's hope that they get here - and there - safe and sound!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Even easier than I thought. A couple of bits of fairly hard foam in the end, some soft foam that slides between the tanks and rests on the footplate, another bit of soft foam on top, then the Dapol foam goes on top of that. I've just used one bit of foam from the other box, although if I'd had a bit more soft foam I could have used that instead. I'll probably put one bit of hard foam at each end, but didn't think of that until I'd taken the photo! It holds it all nicely in place. To put them in, I compressed the buffers against the foam at one end, and slid them down, so the buffers are slightly compressed. They don't move, but are held gently.

post-7091-0-90135500-1447110011.jpg

post-7091-0-56924400-1447110019.jpg

• Like 2