Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

An A1/A1x at 60mph must have been a terrifying experience.

Perhaps it was our inferior colonial perway here, but similar 0-6-0s here couldn't manage 40mph, and a similar-sized 0-6-0 tender locomotive (also with 4'0" wheels) were formally restricted to 25mph because of problems with derailments. (Mind you, that "speed limit" was occasionally consider a "speed suggestion.")

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks,

I have a friend with a large basement O scale layout (its about 30' x 50', double folded dogbone configuration).  He has a 1% grade that runs about 100 feet to get one end of the dogbone above the other.  The other day, I brought my terrier over to see how it peformed.  It was able to pull 5 Slaters P.O. open wagons and a Stanier brake van up the hill.  When I added 3 more wagons, it couldn't make it, got about 10 feet with the wheels spinning before it came to a halt.  Each of the wagons is weighted to about 6 ounces, so it could pull about 3 pounds, but couldn't pull a little more than 4.

Not sure this matters to most of you, as I get the impression that long grades aren't very common on UK layouts.  I gotta admit I was surprised that's all it could pull as it seems pretty heavy for its size.  Has anyone tried adding additional weight to one yet?

Mike

I took my KESR one visiting yesterday evening, thanks to all at Exeter O Gauge Group for your hospitality. 

After a few circuits of their (level, approx. 10' radius curves) test track, running light engine, she was coupled up to a train of 11 kit-built (mainly Parkside and Slaters) wagons which I would guess averaged about half the weight of each of your friend's.

She walked off with that lot and cantered round happily at a scale 20-25mph. After a few minutes, seven more wagons were added (all that were on the premises) including a lovely (and heavy) all-metal tank wagon. This increased the deflection of the ammeter a bit and produced very slight slipping on starting but she soon found her feet and repeated the previous performance without requiring more than slightly over half throttle on the Gaugemaster controller.

Under those conditions, and with a bit more running-in, I think 25 will be well inside her capabilities and 30 not unreasonable so long as I don't make a habit of it. Obviously, if gradients and/or tighter curves were involved, that would reduce both numbers. Overall, though, this grand little loco exceeded my expectations. Well done Dapol.

John

I finally gave in to temptation last night and came home with a blue 'un. For such a sweet runner "out of the box" I couldn't resist.

Need to decide what colour to paint it now.Currently leaning towards very dirty black. I'll be representing an A1 sold off into industry early on so looking to make some detail changes to show that. Not exactly typical but it'll make a good spare loco.

• Like 1

Hi All, :)

Re the electronic components issues on the Terrier it seems that some on the GOG site have reported issues too (I have never had much luck at accessing the GOG site :derisive: ).

I have to say that from the POV of friends and family, that Dapol have offered to repair and make good any problems with our Terriers - although I havent seen any official press releases in regard to the problem from them - Dapol have thus far promised to adhere to their no 'quibble warranty', with several repair options open to customers - so one cant say fairer than that, even if having something that is faulty is a little bit of a chore.

If a Terrier runs well now on DC, then more than likely there wont be a problem on DC, unless converting to DCC of course. Im not sure if all locos are affected by the suppression PCB/Capacitors. I think Dapol are concerned with folk removing the suppression PCB and then perhaps eg selling the loco on with the decoder removed and thus without suppression the loco wouldnt be EU compliant, yet I have to say that such wouldnt be Dapol's fault. Having said this, it seems that Dapol want to make good so that all eventualities are covered which, is noble and correct on their part.

I dont think this is a Dapol problem per se but one of the product being produced in foreign climbs and mistakes being made (ie its not a design fault but a QC issue), but of course Dapol have to 'carry the can' for such QC issues regardless - I for one still have concerns over models and products being made in China or Pacific Rim countries....but I have little say in the matter over all and the prices are good, but its a dilemma for sure, in every walk of life these days. In terms of the loss of UK steel production, a problem the country and UK industry will come to regret. :help:   :fool:

Im also trying to get my head around Peter's issue with fitting a decoder with the suppression PCB removed ala the Hornby Mag article etc. If adding a decoder to a eg. kit built loco, one would have wires to/from the decoder to the pick-ups and motor and the decoder's suppression circuit would take care of all things suppression, and the loco would run okay, of course there are a few variables when it comes to reliablity, but maybe on Peter's loco there is a problem with the other PCB with the 21 pin socket?

Dapol are playing fair with several of us to date, with several options for remedial work left open to us, so one cant say fairer than that thus far.

I dont have any business relationships with Dapol et al and the usual caveats apply (and I dont speak directly for Dapol et al).

I hope that helps everyone, in terms of info received from Dapol and others directly.

Kindest regards,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

Been looking, with a spare 5 mins here and there, at 32661 on DVDs and in books and the chimney seems to be a lot thicker/chunkier on the prototype in its last few years - I know the Terriers had different chimneys fitted, but I am not sure if its an optical illusion on 32661 or not and I cant find written evidence of a different type being fitted - apart from the spark arrestor.

Does anyone know anything of this?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

CME

Going back to the topic of robustness of the loco and the packaging. I manage to bounce my loco of the floor from a height of 3ft. The chimney fell off  one of the wires to the speaker dropped off but with in 5 minutes and the use of a soldering iron the loco was back on the tracks and running around with no sign of any flying. Not sure why other peoples arrived damaged if one can be dropped  with out any packing and it suffer no real damage.   

• RMweb Premium

Need to decide what colour to paint it now.Currently leaning towards very dirty black. I'll be representing an A1 sold off into industry early on so looking to make some detail changes to show that. Not exactly typical but it'll make a good spare loco.

BTS Sand?

• Like 1

I'm intending to buy another soon which should sum up how I feel about the models despite the niggles I've had. 

Peter

I'm glad I'm modelling a railway that only had two, and I've got them both already! Although I suppose there could be one on hire from the Brighton. No, I mustn't go there :O.

Fair enough- I'll leave the electrickery "as supplied" and make sure I test run with the decoder before sticking speakers etc in, and if I have any problems I can get it across to DCC Supplies.

As I sad I'm not Dapol baiting, far from it- I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to reduce the risk of problems before fitting sound.   

Fair enough- I'll leave the electrickery "as supplied" and make sure I test run with the decoder before sticking speakers etc in, and if I have any problems I can get it across to DCC Supplies.

As I sad I'm not Dapol baiting, far from it- I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to reduce the risk of problems before fitting sound.   

I think that Dapol and DCC Supplies will stand by you. My only concern was that there could be an issue with the 21 PIN PCB as well (judging by Peter's model)?!

Maybe DCC Supplies will make good on both aspects for Peter's loco - they have told one of my friends that they will warranty the repairs for the life of the loco - cant say fairer than that.

Kind regards,

CME

Indeed. I ordered one load of bits from them the other day, including a set of A1X brake gear- the side tank assembly is so cheap I bought a spare just to experiment with.

Having taken it to bits I've now put an order in for several more bits that I've broken (they seem to have been very generous with the glue ration for mine and a number of bits were very well stuck), unfortunately they haven't listed a smokebox handrail (and I didn't think to ask) but it'll be easy to make a new one. My fault for taking it off too early, ironically to try and avoid damaging it during handling... would have been better to poke the handrail knobs out from behind.  

I've just discovered, via another topic not entirely unrelated to the photo in the previous post, that DCC Supplies have a variety of spare parts available:

http://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-7442/terrier.htm

According to this news item, they may have other parts too.

many thanks for posting this link - I have just spoken to DCC Supplies and ordered the condensing pipes that are missing from 2644.

cheers

Mike

Indeed. I ordered one load of bits from them the other day, including a set of A1X brake gear- the side tank assembly is so cheap I bought a spare just to experiment with.

Having taken it to bits I've now put an order in for several more bits that I've broken (they seem to have been very generous with the glue ration for mine and a number of bits were very well stuck), unfortunately they haven't listed a smokebox handrail (and I didn't think to ask) but it'll be easy to make a new one. My fault for taking it off too early, ironically to try and avoid damaging it during handling... would have been better to poke the handrail knobs out from behind.

Matt,

I've just ordered some more parts. I have a long handrail, that should allow me to make a couple of smokebox handrails. My next task is a visit somewhere to get some paints to mix up a 'yellow' to patch up my '32635' Brighton Works.

many thanks for posting this link - I have just spoken to DCC Supplies and ordered the condensing pipes that are missing from 2644.

I'll have a surplus set one of these days, when I start converting my Bodiam into Rolvenden.

Are these, that currently don't have a picture, the sticky up above the footplate pipes that Bodiam should have, but doesn't?

• Like 1

i have just spoken to to tower models re my order of over two years for a late crested sound equiped terrier only to be told that they are unable to fulfill my order due to non delivery by Dapol so if you have one on order you may want to contact them asap :nono:

Edited by houseman