RMweb

Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

It's the mention of anything else would be taken to watchdog I felt was unnecessary ;)

I'm quite calm as I know retail law quite well after working with it for years in a previous career, that's why I highlighted the fact they'd offered a solution already that would be cheapest for them. I'm sure they'd upgrade it if it was too much for anyone to do, there's only an issue if they refuse to fix it.

Having a vent knocked off and a worksplate off too was all the problem I had and fixed in seconds, if I have the spare cash in time then another will probably join the first one too.

I agree with Matt though that altering the packaging for this batch would have delayed it a lot but it is an issue they need to look at for future models. The foam Ixion use is much better at evenly supporting a model than large vac form pieces. The vac form could be supported by a second smaller and stiffer vac form insert though underneath the wheels which is where it flexes most and I suspect as a result causes the vents to get bashed off because they are so close to the plastic on their side. Double inserts are quite common in vac form packing to sandwich certain items securely before being secured with a card backing.

Hi Paul,

But its true though aint it, I have seen lesser issues end up on the box, Watchdog et al. Besides we are all friends here so no offence taken from my POV and none intended.

I too have worked with SoG Act and UK contract law, its surprising how many retail shop staff dont seem to be trained in such and some managers seem to be unaware of the key facts, the same for some SME's too. True as modellers we can often fix it, yet what about the target audience, the newbies to 7mm, perhaps such a person would be a 'box collector' and thus not capable? And then there is issue of material or financial inconvenience which might mean that a professional modeller would be within his/her right to charge for their time and services. 

I think that Mike's story pretty much sums up modern business, after its sold, they dont really want to know. As I said before I know of traders (shop retailers) who are having a nightmare with getting hold of Dapol spares - for a myriad of reasons. As I say its a two way street.

The fixes on mine are in the area of seconds or minutes too, so no dramas, but the sanding pipes touching the wheels could fool some if they shorted.

I think that vac-formed plastic isnt the best option for these models to be packed in and I believe that it is a major contributor to the damage, whether that be in transit or on the packing line.

As another Poster said Dapol had taken so long to get this model to market (four years?) that there would have been a riot with more delays, from my POV, I was in no hurry, and just wanted it to arrive safe and sound, damage free.

I am hoping that future releases will be good for the scale, gauge and hobby, with lots of 7mm layouts based around them, which will help Dapol too.

I agree with you that the Ixion packaging seems much more appropriate.

Back to model-making and playing trains now :mosking:  ;)  :yes:  :imsohappy:

ATVB

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Does anyone know the answer to these two questions, please...

1) Was 2636 painted unlined black during the war or did it remain in lined green until 1950 when it was painted in BR livery.

2) Were any of the Terriers painted in unlined black with Bulleid “Sunshine”  lettering and numbering, if so which?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

2) yes - 32644 with the condensing pipes and tank vents also removed - loco scrapped in 1951- there may have been others. I think that there might be a photo of it in this livery on Flickr.

post-6951-0-26084100-1447229306.jpg

post-6951-0-76245600-1447229306.jpg

my version - on a San Cheng model.

cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

2) yes - 32644 with the condensing pipes and tank vents also removed - loco scrapped in 1951- there may have been others. I think that there might be a photo of it in this livery on Flickr.

attachicon.gifDSCF2364.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2366.JPG

cheers

Mike

There is also a photograph of 32644 in BR black with sunshine lettering on P71 in the Tom Middlemass book 'Stroudley and his Terriers'

Does anyone know the answer to these two questions, please...

1) Was 2636 painted unlined black during the war or did it remain in lined green until 1950 when it was painted in BR livery.

2) Were any of the Terriers painted in unlined black with Bulleid “Sunshine”  lettering and numbering, if so which?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't think I have ever seen any photos of 2636 in lined green, I think it stayed in unlined Maunsell black livery until repainted by BR in 1950. This livery was non standard though as it had LBSCR style numbers.

As for unlined black with sunshine lettering;

(3)2678 with IOW bunker.

(3)2646 with IOW bunker, in early BR days this had it's lettering (British Railways)high on the tank sides but with standard BR numbering on the cabside.

2640 with IOW bunker and combined splasher and sandboxes.

2661 as per standard Dapol.

There may have been more, I have a feeling I have seen 2655 in unlined black with sunshine lettering but can't find it at the moment,

Here are a couple of pics of my 32655.

post-7006-0-03130500-1447253159_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-24255000-1447253257_thumb.jpg

With her apple green sister.

post-7006-0-33963400-1447253354_thumb.jpg

Hope this hepls with your questions.

Cheers for now, Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Ian, that's really useful. All my mate needs now is for his engine to arrive!  He's ordered one in BR black so he can repaint is fairly easily into the black with sunshine lettering, and it's likley to be 2644 as that was allocated to Ashford and his layout is set in Kent. 

Peter

I have just downloaded the December edition of Hornby Magazine, it contains a two page step by step article on how to fit sound to the Terrier using a Zimo decoder and speaker. If you are planning to add sound to your loco it might be worth looking at the magazine next time you are in WH Smiths.

Cheers to everyone who has put up photos of their models. I am very tempted to acquire one.

I was the fireman on 32678 for the sound recordings on the KESR earlier this year. It was a great morning running around for the guys to record it.

Andy

I've now had a response from Dapol asking me to send the incorrect rods to DCC Supplies who will send replacements. Lets hope their response is reasonably fast!

Replacement rods arrived from DCC this morning. Many thanks to Dapol for sourcing them and to DCC for their fast return service. Overall, quite pleased with the service I've received despite the earlier 'glitch' over communications.

My impression is that Dapol are doing their best to overcome the problems which bedevilled them, many of which should, maybe, have been forseen. I say maybe because hindsight is always more acute than foresight and often as not requires a lot of luck, as well as ability, to achieve. I hope the experience doesn't stop Dapol producing more models of this standard, or modellers from buying them.

• RMweb Premium

Received my blue one today, it had been  delivered to  work whilst I was away. Very happy, super little loco with no damage or other problems and can be seen on Coxheath Sidings

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96750-easy-low-cost-micro-layout-baseboard-ideas/page-4&do=findComment&comment=2088402

Dava

Hi All,  :)

As promised a couple of photos of my off piste adventure into Southern steam, 32661 on Down Ampney Sidings, it looks right, looks very nice in fact and with a little light fettling and some light weathering it will be seen on my micro-shunting layouts or on a backdated Down Ampney branch with a rail-tour headboard and maybe,one day,a pair of suburban MK1 coaches.

I hope that the photos are okay - I cant tell at the moment as the screen on this PC is a bit below par and I had to try and get some extra light on the loco and Down Ampney Sidings (as it was pretty dark today without much natural light) and that may mean that the photos are not as good as I would like (ie the cab looks darker than the tank-sides but in reality that isnt the case for the MK1 eyeball), but I hope it shows the loco in its natural habitat as well as can be expected.

Kind regards to all,

CME  :)

Photographs in this Post  are the copyright of the author/photographer 2015

post-11256-0-23654800-1447368066_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-02624500-1447368079_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Peter,

attachicon.gifDSCF2364.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF2366.JPG

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Lovely weathering, really nice looking loco - how do you think they compare to the Dapol versions?

ATVB

CME

Just got an email from Hattons to say the early BR Terrier has been cancelled and no sign of my preorder from them either. Does anywhere have any left? (Presumably no longer at the original cheaper price)

I am sorry to hear that.

I would suggest Tower too as a first port of call, Rails might have stock, so may Antics, but at a higher price - sorry if this Post is too late. Hattons are usually fab, yet of late they seem to have done this sort of thing with 7mm Heljan models too, perhaps theyre only allocated a limited amount of models (or buy in what they have pre-orders for or know that they can sell).

ATVB

CME

Thanks gents, Kernow now have my money! Should have gone with them from the beginning. Live and learn.

Ah yes of course Kernows, sorry, its been a long day. Hope that you get your order okay, BTW Hattons did that to me too (on some wagons) and Rails got my business instead. Not sure if Hattons are operating a new system or not?

I would suggest Tower too as a first port of call, Rails might have stock, so may Antics, but at a higher price - sorry if this Post is too late.

Antics have stock of both BR liveries and are the same price as Hattons are showing for Bodiam. Have to admit a slight bias here as I'm in the same model railway group as several employees. I know they've all been out of the boxes and checked for damage too...

Antics have stock of both BR liveries and are the same price as Hattons are showing for Bodiam. Have to admit a slight bias here as I'm in the same model railway group as several employees. I know they've all been out of the boxes and checked for damage too...

Matt,

Thanks for that information, I had been hesitating about purchasing another one due to the ongoing damage reports.  Order now placed with Antics.

• Like 1

I'm not sure but they don't seem to be as good as I remember them. Shame really.

No that's what I am wondering/afraid of too!

Antics are good, friendly bunch down at Hardwicke when demoing there, sadly I have not had the opportunity to purchase much from them, sounds like they're pretty diligent and conscientious too (which helps seller and customer alike).

ATVB

CME

Has anyone tried removing the small supression circuit board as detailed in the article in Hornby magazine? I've taken it out of my two Terriers and as instructed soldered the grey and orange wires from the motor directly to the circuit board. The result....my Terrier without sounds is dead, and the one with sound has just set fire to the decoder!

Can anyone help?

Peter

• RMweb Premium

I ve just taken delivery of my BR E/E Terrier which l ordered on Saturday from Antics. I am happy to say not only did it arrive promptly , but there is no damage and the model runs beautifully as well. As a bonus the chimney joint issue is minimal on my example, if l d not known about it, l would have not even noticed it. So well done Dapol..

Now all l need is an extended bunker version in BR livery, and l d be a very happy bunny. So come on Dapol how about adding that version to your next releases?