Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

The  two  IOW  terriers  have  doors as  per  the  Stepney  photos  but  without  the  latching  device  shown.

The  island  ones  have  a  metal  strip  rectangular  loop  handle  here.

The  door  is  held  up  by  means  of  a  chain  which  is  secured  to  a  hook  fitted  on  the  cab  backsheet  above  the  sliding  door.

Pete 

• Like 1

The  two  IOW  terriers  have  doors as  per  the  Stepney  photos  but  without  the  latching  device  shown.

The  island  ones  have  a  metal  strip  rectangular  loop  handle  here.

The  door  is  held  up  by  means  of  a  chain  which  is  secured  to  a  hook  fitted  on  the  cab  backsheet  above  the  sliding  door.

Pete 

so basically, every terrier is different  :blind:

Lots of good stuff about Terriers in this thread, but has anyone come up with a solution to the problem of the ghastly chimney on the BR version?

post-27939-0-43594400-1451853481.jpg

The rest of the model is so nice, this seems like a terrible clanger on Dapol's part. So far I can't think of any simple solution. Any offers?

John

• RMweb Premium

Take the chimney off and file down whatever is preventing it seating properly? Its not a problem on the A1 version so I can't be more  specific.

Dava

Hmm, if you look carefully it's a bit more tricky than that. The OD of the upper part is in fact slightly larger than the lower part, and the lower part curves inward at the join. I agree that the A1 version looks fine, the problem seems to be with the A1X and the different smokebox.

John

Guest Isambarduk

"So far I can't think of any simple solution..."

To a rather lesser degree, I found the same problem with my Ixion Hudswell Clarke; although I turned up a replacement Robinson chimney, I retained the lower saddle and it was necessary only to countersink the hole in it for the new chimney to sit down nicely.

GCR278Sandboxes.jpg

David

Lots of good stuff about Terriers in this thread, but has anyone come up with a solution to the problem of the ghastly chimney on the BR version?

attachicon.gifTerrier Chimney.jpg

The rest of the model is so nice, this seems like a terrible clanger on Dapol's part. So far I can't think of any simple solution. Any offers?

John

I was hoping, as I heard on the grapevine that someone would do a super-detail kit, that a new chimney would become available. 32661 seemed to have a lot broader chimney in reality, as far as I can tell from photographic evidence (also spark arrester fitted)....

Take the chimney off and file down whatever is preventing it seating properly? Its not a problem on the A1 version so I can't be more  specific.

Dava

The A1 version has a different smokebox, thats why it fits better??

Hmm, if you look carefully it's a bit more tricky than that. The OD of the upper part is in fact slightly larger than the lower part, and the lower part curves inward at the join. I agree that the A1 version looks fine, the problem seems to be with the A1X and the different smokebox.

John

Agreed.....

"So far I can't think of any simple solution..."

To a rather lesser degree, I found the same problem with my Ixion Hudswell Clarke; although I turned up a replacement Robinson chimney, I retained the lower saddle and it was necessary only to countersink the hole in it for the new chimney to sit down nicely.

GCR278Sandboxes.jpg

David

Very nice David any suggestions as to who supplies similar for the Terriers? Thanks in anticipation.

I was toying with the idea of filing the plastic base down until the two parts matched at the joint, see 'artists impression' image below:

attachicon.gif1a1a1a chimn.jpg

Not sure how much it will lower the chimney, I'll find a file and have a go tomorrow (money where mouth is...)

That was my only other solution too...

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

No gap on the A1? Nowhere near as bad, but it's a good thing they're not fitted with a smoke unit!

attachicon.gifDSCF7754.JPG

Oops sorry, most of the ones Id seen were neigh on perfect, so perhaps its a QC issue then, one that can be rectified???

Why didnt Dapol make them with the 'saddle' as part of the chimney, then it would have fitted better, or even as part of the smokebox??

The one on my A1 sits better now I've taken it off and cleaned the paint off the OD of the spigot on the chimney. It'll probably be better still once I've done the same to the base. The chimney and base ODs are pretty much the same diameter though. I'd have filled the joint on mine before repainting the smokebox but I want to fit a different chimney at some point.

The one on my A1 sits better now I've taken it off and cleaned the paint off the OD of the spigot on the chimney. It'll probably be better still once I've done the same to the base. The chimney and base ODs are pretty much the same diameter though. I'd have filled the joint on mine before repainting the smokebox but I want to fit a different chimney at some point.

Thanks for that. I dont know if I will bother as mine really needs a new chimney?

Note than mine's an A1, the A1x looks like it may be a bit trickier to get right. Mine still springs up (not glued in yet) but sits better if I push it down- I'll have to hold it while the glue sets. I suspect the split is where it is for ease of moulding- I think the chimneys are actually fabricated as there's no mould lines, I suspect it'd be difficult to make in one piece.

Must be a good reason for doing it that way as the Ixion HC is exactly the same.

Guest Isambarduk

"Very nice David ... " 
Thank you.  (In case anybody is interested in the transformation of this loco and didn't read about it here on RMWeb, I have written it up in captioned pictures at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm). 

"... any suggestions as to who supplies similar for the Terriers?"
I am sorry, I have no idea but, given a decent drawing (or a photograph taken at near mid height to make a drawing) I think it would be an easy enough turning exercise for somebody with even a small lathe if the saddle is retained (if a new saddle in required, then it becomes a completely different level of challenge).

David

"Very nice David ... " 

Thank you.  (In case anybody is interested in the transformation of this loco and didn't read about it here on RMWeb, I have written it up in captioned pictures at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm). 

I am sorry, I have no idea but, given a decent drawing (or a photograph taken at near mid height to make a drawing) I think it would be an easy enough turning exercise for somebody with even a small lathe if the saddle is retained (if a new saddle in required, then it becomes a completely different level of challenge).

David

Years ago i had a unimat lathe and turned a couple of chimneys, never got as far as flaring the bases, but the chimney part was fairly easy.  With the unimat I think you swung the whole thing to make the taper.  A very long time ago...

Guest Isambarduk

"With the unimat I think you swung the whole thing to make the taper."

Yes, that would be a long time ago - it sounds like the original Unimat with two round bars for the bed; the headstock is angled in relation to the bed to turn a taper.  The more modern (but long since out of production) Unimat 3 and 4, and their derivatives, are more conventional with a fixed headstock and a topslide that may be angled to turn a taper.

UnimatLathe.jpg

A Unimat 3 set up as a conventional centre lathe (but without the topslide)

David

"Very nice David ... " 

David

Hi David,

My Dad has a small metal turning lathe waiting for me for when the layout is finished in the garage (ie space/room) - so frustratingly I cant even get my hand and eye back in..

ATVB

CME

• 2 weeks later...

"I was hoping, as I heard on the grapevine that someone would do a super-detail kit, that a new chimney would become available. 32661 seemed to have a lot broader chimney in reality, as far as I can tell from photographic evidence (also spark arrester fitted)...."

Quite a few Terriers, especially ex IoW were fitted with Drummond chimneys which were wider and tapered out at the top. This was the same chimney as that fitted to the B4 0-4-0 and, as far as I know, is not available from the trade.

"I was hoping, as I heard on the grapevine that someone would do a super-detail kit, that a new chimney would become available. 32661 seemed to have a lot broader chimney in reality, as far as I can tell from photographic evidence (also spark arrester fitted)...."

Quite a few Terriers, especially ex IoW were fitted with Drummond chimneys which were wider and tapered out at the top. This was the same chimney as that fitted to the B4 0-4-0 and, as far as I know, is not available from the trade.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Kind regards,

CME

Guest Ruler x 3

I really like that, nice one , it looks very much at home, who needs the warranty anyway :O) mine here, not as an elaborate a change but warranty discarded in favour of extra weight, 150 gms, 100 sealed in the smoke box and 50 in the bunker, now runs on my less than perfect track 100%.

post-28245-0-29734300-1453924759.png

• Like 12

Getting there...

20160126_211022.jpg

20160126_211036.jpg

Frames and bufferbeams are still untouched and a few detail bits missing, most obviously the smokebox handrail. Not completely happy with it but it looks the part when viewed on the layout even if it doesn't bear close scrutiny.

Wonderful work, just charming especially with the consistent theme.

I really like that, nice one , it looks very much at home, who needs the warranty anyway :O) mine here, not as an elaborate a change but warranty discarded in favour of extra weight, 150 gms, 100 sealed in the smoke box and 50 in the bunker, now runs on my less than perfect track 100%.

Again superb work, I hope that mine comes out half as good as these two, my weathering and fettling will be akin to yours.

I still want to change the chimney and add things like a spark arrester, I also noted from old footage that 32 661 had a 'hammer' or something similar fitted to the cab/bunker side circa 1962/63 - I shall probably start this work after fitting a decoder.