Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Hello CME bottlewasher

50% damaged and all other problems huh not good this fact. i think you are brave you know much about Dapol so i guess work there?

Good stuff I hop you make them fix broken company. so many people here know truth. Dapol do not admit like dj models? very busy, very great man. perhaps yo soon work there no?  :superman:

Hi Zaab, :)

I have no business connections with either Dapol or DJM.

Just an enthusiast with a passion for 7mm model railways.

Dont quote me on the 50% damage as that could be a +/- figure. :)

From my POV I would like to see Dapol suceed, but results for their 7mm scale models have been variable thus far. Also DJM have yet to release any models in 7mm that are appropriate to my needs so their performance is an unknown, yet hopefully they will hit the ground running, with acurate and successful models.

Let us hope for better from Dapol's second batch of Terriers :) .

Kind regards,

CME :)

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

Someone has posted on the Colonel Stephens e-mail group that there was a pre-production Bodiam on display at Telford. Apparently the colour is wrong and Dapol were asking for advice on what it should be. Isn't it supposed to be delivered at the end of this month? If so, are the painters locked in a container on the high seas waiting to finish them off when they get the details?

If the blue is too bright then a large 1 on the tankside & a smiley face will sort it - THOMAS!

With all this talk about colour, I'm glad I've ordered a black one. The 'improved engine green' versions look a bit too yellow to me but that could just be my computer monitor or the fact that I am used to the Hornby 00 and Dapol N colouring which may be wrong.

I like the story of the 'improved engine green' coloring which legend has it came about because Stroudley was colour blind and chose what he thought was a pleasant shade of green, being a bit of a Victorian tyrant, no one dared to mention that his green was actually ochre.

• Like 1

I picked up a 'Waddon' at Telford and initially I was bit underwhelmed by the colour vwhich is not the same as on the pre production model in the showcase. However a coat of satin varnish helps, the factory finish is very flat. An hour of detailing it and it ended up looking like this...

21029276630_60535d3722_c.jpg

Oddly enough the colour looks much better in the pictures than it does in the flesh, yet they were just taken in natural light. 

21217390045_09fbdebca2_c.jpg

I'm just taking the view that any differences in colour between my loco's is down to time since the last overhaul, the browning effect of the varnish and the atmosphere in the loco shed.

The water staining on the tank side and smokebox is correct, a lot of pictures show that on otherwise spotless loco's.

Peter

• Like 5

Guest Isambarduk

"I like the story of the 'improved engine green' coloring which legend has it came about because Stroudley was colour blind and chose what he thought was a pleasant shade of green, being a bit of a Victorian tyrant, no one dared to mention that his green was actually ochre."

Well, yes, it's a good story but I think it's a bit unfair on Stroudley.  More likely, but still only a story, is that the popular term was the result of an error in the minutes of a Board meeting; Stroudley offered the colour saying 'Gentlemen, I think you will find this an improvement on engine green.' but in the transcription of the minutes this became 'improved engine green', rather than 'improvement on engine green'.

David

I was wondering about spraying a slightly tinted varnish over the loco to tone down the yellow a tad. My only concern would be it's effect on the other colours, especially the white lining. Even at the bargain price of £145 for the club edition, it's a heart in mouth decision just in case it ruins the otherwise beautifully applied livery.

On another note, it seems strange for Dapol to say that no LB&SCR stock will be made by them because they don't want to step on the toes of the kit manufacturers. If Hornby and Bachmann took that approach with their oo gauge ranges, there would be virtually nothing left for them to announce new each year.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm. The thing is that not all of us can or want to build rolling stock/passenger coaches from brass kits! I certainly do not. It didn't stop Dapol bringing out a Terrier or an 08, given that both are available in kit form . I think there is  a market for both kits and r-t-r and I would be more inclined to buy a kit or two from Furness and 'have a go' if I had some r-t-r trucks, knowing that if I made a mess of things, I would still have something to go back to!

I hope Dapol are not bowing to any sort of pressure and will think this one through very carefully. There are a lot of LBSCR Terriers out there with not a lot to pull, and with a Marsh liveried one planned for next year that will be even more the case. I am hoping this will signal a renaissance for pre-grouping, given the relatively small amount of space it  needs. Guess we will have to wait and see!

I think that anybody who wants to model any pre-grouping railway in any scale and only wants to do it with RTR stuff is going to have a very long wait indeed.

It is one of those chicken and egg things. There are not many people modelling pre-grouping because there isn't much stuff available. Also, not much is produced as the perceived market is small and fragmented as there are not many people modelling pre-grouping and those that do model a wide variety of companies.

The options are to get building or be willing to pay others to build for you or be prepared for a long wait for something that may never come.

Received mine in Australia today from Tower.  An implulse buy that I don't regret.

Yes, rods are on backwards and a tank vent is bust but buffers are straight.  Packaging is excellent so reckon this breakage was done in China.

No complaints at all and at price even the full ticket makes a mockery of Heljan floating well over 3 times as much for a GWR large prairie.

Brake shoes are certainly clear of wheel treads akin to the PO wagons but overall impression is positive.

post-1733-0-86618300-1441749825.jpg

Edited by LaScala

"The water staining on the tank side and smokebox is correct, a lot of pictures show that on otherwise spotless loco's.

Peter"

Personally I am not too sure of white staining on the tank sides unless you were filling them with milk.

It would be nice to see all preserved Terriers brought together maybe for the 150th year in 2022

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant

"The water staining on the tank side and smokebox is correct, a lot of pictures show that on otherwise spotless loco's.

Peter"

Personally I am not too sure of white staining on the tank sides unless you were filling them with milk.

It would be nice to see all preserved Terriers brought together maybe for the 150th year in 2022

David

I think the white staining was more prevalent in certain parts of the country where 'hard' water could leave calcium deposits where it spilled. 

I live in a hard water area, calcium tends only to appear when the water is heated hence round the element of a kettle, freshwater tend to be clear otherwise sinks and taps would stain white which mine don't.

I am sure there were water softening tanks on the LB&SCR from quite early on.

there would be water staining as the hard water evaporated leaving that calcium that so much of the south had to deal with,

but i don't think it would stand out so much when the rest of the loco is clean. the calcium would get wiped off when the locos were cleaned, and generally covered in soot, coal dust, oil and rust so would be toned down a lot. in the case of modelling, quite often, less is more

• Like 1

There are lots of pictures of Terriers in the 1890's, which is my period, with quite pronounced water stains on the side tanks. It's just a case of copying photo's from the right period. 

I won't do it when I get a second Terrier, but one one it's OK. It's difficult to personalise a loco when it's spotlessly clean. The pictures also suggest that the black paint on the smokebox sides tended to flake off after a few years, presumably due to heat damage. That would be a lot more difficult to replicate, though.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete

I picked up a 'Waddon' at Telford and initially I was bit underwhelmed by the colour vwhich is not the same as on the pre production model in the showcase. However a coat of satin varnish helps, the factory finish is very flat. An hour of detailing it and it ended up looking like this...

21029276630_60535d3722_c.jpg

Oddly enough the colour looks much better in the pictures than it does in the flesh, yet they were just taken in natural light. 

21217390045_09fbdebca2_c.jpg

I'm just taking the view that any differences in colour between my loco's is down to time since the last overhaul, the browning effect of the varnish and the atmosphere in the loco shed.

The water staining on the tank side and smokebox is correct, a lot of pictures show that on otherwise spotless loco's.

Peter

Lovely looking loco Peter.

The water staining is always a conundrum as to whether softeners were used or not - assuming loco was based in a hard water area?

I was wondering if a little more weathering would help your model, so as to bring about a cared for but worn appearence or perhaps a sprayed on filter from the likes of Vellejo et al? This would then soften the effect of the water staining still further.

Its always hard to tell colour on computer screens etc. though.....

I was wondering about spraying a slightly tinted varnish over the loco to tone down the yellow a tad. My only concern would be it's effect on the other colours, especially the white lining. Even at the bargain price of £145 for the club edition, it's a heart in mouth decision just in case it ruins the otherwise beautifully applied livery.

On another note, it seems strange for Dapol to say that no LB&SCR stock will be made by them because they don't want to step on the toes of the kit manufacturers. If Hornby and Bachmann took that approach with their oo gauge ranges, there would be virtually nothing left for them to announce new each year.

Hi Dave,

Please see my comments above about using a filter coat etc. just to knock back the over all colour - then one can decide if to weather further or not, without ruining the basic finish of the model, Lifecolor do some subtle effects too, all of which can be applied with a large flat - soft - brush.....

I applaud Dapol's ethos - a little late so it would seem after the POW debacle?! - also although I am not an expert, yet know the O gauge market place pretty well, but how many LB&SCR rolling stock kits are there (perhaps Richard Webster et al know better?).....

Received mine in Australia today from Tower.  An implulse buy that I don't regret.

Yes, rods are on bachwards and a tank vent is bust but buffers are straight.  Packaging is excellent so reckon this breakage was done in China.

No complaints at all and at price even the full ticket makes a mockery of Heljan floating well over 3 times as much for a GWR large prairie.

Brake shoes are certainly clear of wheel treads akin to the PO wagons but overall impression is positive.

Interesting points. I am not sure if Dapol's current pricing is sustainable? So perhaps we have a choice, price vs longevity of supply. Also the packaging has been identified as inappropriate and is due for modification, so the factory could have damaged the models, yet by and large traders are saying that its a packaging issue.....perhaps its both?

Peter"

David

I think the white staining was more prevalent in certain parts of the country where 'hard' water could leave calcium deposits where it spilled. 

Staining can be caused by calc. carb and/or additives, AFAICT though its apparent on mainly scruffy looking locos due for 'COND' status, sometimes though there is a prototype for everything, yet it doesnt always easliy transpose into model form.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

The phrase was 'other manufacturers' and while this does indeed include at least 2 kit manufacturers, one may assume that Dapol could have inside knowledge of Lionhearts future plans. It all depends on what the working agreement is between the two. Have to be down the road a little as Lionheart have the GWR coach and the LMS/GWR/etc opens  to bring out first, but you never know.