Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

San Cheng was the company set up by Randolph Chang with a "brassworks" in China.  IIRC the first products included a J94, Crab,08 and some carriages for Bachmann Brass,  A wide range of locos and carriages were also produced for Tower and the last few examples are still available.  He also produced his own range under the Finescale Brass label.  The more recent models were a bit more sophisticated (and expensive) than the early models - the Castle and B1 were arguably his best.  Unfortunately, due to the rapidly rising costs of production in China, Randolph closed the factory down a few years ago.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Fenchurch even was in the Netherlands at “Stoomtram Hoorn - Medemblik” some years ago.

Hi,

That second image is just crying out to be modelled.  I can just here the comments form some folk at an exhibition ......

Regards,

Alex.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm fettling 32661 and I have noticed an extra, small, pipe (and flange on Smokebox end) coming from the Smokebox towards the cab, circa IIRC, 1958. Photos show such from the side but I don't know the pipe-run as there are no photos from above. Dapol have omitted this pipe (and/or placed it on the opposite side?) - perhaps understandably - from the model.

In addition in later years 32661, Hayling Island working, had a spark arrestor fitted, but photos again, don't show the top view, any help in this regard gratefully received, or even the name of a supplier if a casting is available.

Can anyone provide info or photos on either of the above please.

With thanks,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 1 month later...

The Dapol terrier must have been a real boon for O gauge and for people who wanted to model pre-grouping stuff in particular. Hard to believe that a class of locomotive from the 1870s was still working in the 1960s. This happened in Australia for various reasons, but was certainly unusual in the UK.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two words: Hayling Island. Without Langston Harbour Bridge being so delicate, and with a willingness to use a diesel railcar or DMU, the Terriers would have been gone much sooner.

I was wondering if Maunsell might have considered an E1R style conversion for a few Terriers for Hayling Island....

post-2484-0-48029100-1540628852_thumb.jpg

I got a bargain 'Brighton' and only really need one shunter for Lancing Carriage Works...

It would have given a bit more bunker capacity, maybe......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Two words: Hayling Island. Without Langston Harbour Bridge being so delicate, and with a willingness to use a diesel railcar or DMU, the Terriers would have been gone much sooner.

They were also retained for their light axle loading to work the rump of the KESR and to shunt Newhaven Harbour too.

Kevin

• Like 1

I was wondering if Maunsell might have considered an E1R style conversion for a few Terriers for Hayling Island....

A1R.jpg

I got a bargain 'Brighton' and only really need one shunter for Lancing Carriage Works...

It would have given a bit more bunker capacity, maybe......

Doesn't look to be much bigger than the Isle of Wight bunkers though. To be honest I'd have thought you could've fitted a decent sized bunker on an E1 by just losing the toolbox, was the trailing wheel needed for running qualities?

Doesn't look to be much bigger than the Isle of Wight bunkers though. To be honest I'd have thought you could've fitted a decent sized bunker on an E1 by just losing the toolbox, was the trailing wheel needed for running qualities?

The E1Rs were about 5/6 tons heavier, with the same water capacity.  The cab and bunker were wider on the E1R so I expect it was to increase coal capacity.  Was there also a thought that the additional wheel set would stop the rear from wagging about?  Any ideas?

I might rough out a cab/bunker in cardboard and sit it one, maybe see how a pony truck would fit without butchering the chassis.

Another fanciful idea is that Stroudley created a smaller version of the F 'West Brighton', why he'd do that I don't know...  4' trailing wheels were used, so that would make it look like a mini 0-8-0....

post-2484-0-93339900-1540676973.jpg

• RMweb Premium

A DCC version of 'Fenchurch' has been ordered in Hattons' sale! Anticipating some Stroudley 4-wheel coaches in due course....

Dava

• Like 1

A DCC version of 'Fenchurch' has been ordered in Hattons' sale! Anticipating some Stroudley 4-wheel coaches in due course....

Dava

I have heard about the 4 wheel coaches which may mean a slight change( Tear up and start again) to the micro shunting layout planned.

Steve

https://dorsetrailwaymodelling.blogspot.com/