The Captain's Travels - encounter at Yate

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on a work-related site visit last week, I was fortunate enough to see the Westerleigh - Robeston (empty) oil train returning. We were legitimately trackside and in a place of safety.

post-57-1264869553341_thumb.jpg

I spotted the oil train approaching...

post-57-12648695814157_thumb.jpg

But, oh no! Look what's approaching on the Down line! Will it get in the way of my photo?!

post-57-12648696198638_thumb.jpg

No such problem, the 60 was still not moving too fast at this point, but was beginning to accellerate...

post-57-12648696580719_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Rather nice photos Tim, out of interest how many tankers was the 60 hauling?

Regards,

Nick

Didn't count 'em, Nick, but I can check when I'm back at work. Maximum lengths are all agreed and documented. The oil train was running slightly late, and my colleague was worried that it wouldn't make Haresfield Loop (south of Gloucester) before the next northbound CrossCountry service caught up with it.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't count 'em, Nick, but I can check when I'm back at work. Maximum lengths are all agreed and documented. The oil train was running slightly late, and my colleague was worried that it wouldn't make Haresfield Loop (south of Gloucester) before the next northbound CrossCountry service caught up with it.

Oh dear, do they often run late or was it a one off?

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, do they often run late or was it a one off?

No, it's not normally too bad a runner. The oil terminal is at Westerleigh Yard, which is only about a mile or so from Yate. There is a junction with the freight only branch at Yate South, just behind where the loco was in the first photo. The line down to Westerleigh Yard is actually the former Midland main line from Yate (via Mangotsfield) to either Bath Green Park or Bristol.

• RMweb Gold

No, it's not normally too bad a runner. The oil terminal is at Westerleigh Yard, which is only about a mile or so from Yate. There is a junction with the freight only branch at Yate South, just behind where the loco was in the first photo. The line down to Westerleigh Yard is actually the former Midland main line from Yate (via Mangotsfield) to either Bath Green Park or Bristol.

On an different note Tim isn't Callow Lane set round this area?

• RMweb Gold

All things are related and intertwined in this world, young man! wink.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

I thought I seemed a little too familiar with the area! It must be nice to be able to do ones job and ones hobby at the same time!

Surely those platform ramps are too steep to comply with regulations? I certainly wouldn't have them on my layout.

Ed

Might be down to the long lens foreshortening the view: look how many uprights are on the railings on the ramp

Can anybody tell me at what time and on what days the tanks are due to run?

Although I would probably be at work, as I only live a couple of miles away it would be nice to stroll up the road and try and see one of these beasties while i still can.

tia

Nice spot there Cap'n. I do miss shopping at Yah - Tay (as the posh people call it). I have loads of vid footage of locos in the collar there, including some nice preserved loco combos, Deltics on railtour etc... Pity the Bins doesn't run there anymore - used to like seeing the 58's rumble along the Westerleigh branch.

Good T&V location when I was a MOM.

• RMweb Gold

Can anybody tell me at what time and on what days the tanks are due to run?

Although I would probably be at work, as I only live a couple of miles away it would be nice to stroll up the road and try and see one of these beasties while i still can.

tia

Mon-Sat - due to leave Westerleigh at about 11:30 M-F and 10:00 SO - 60009 on it today

Mmm, 60! Nice catch Tim. This departure is the Lindsey one though, the Robeston one runs with a pair of sheds sad.gif and red Murco tanks.

Jules, while I don't claim to be an expert on the workings, I have spent a fair amount of time in the area photographing these trains. As Dave says, the Lindsey tends to leave around the times he's posted (booked time is 11.41 and 10.13 respectively) though it can go anywhere up to an hour early (very occasionally more), often reaching Gloucester before it's due to have left the terminal. Last time I was out to get this one, 60074 departed Westerleigh well early, then sat at the top of the branch by Yate station for nearly an hour, before passing me north of Yate bang on time. Usually the fit it into an earlier path if it's ready.

The Robeston working arrives about 12.20, so if both are on time, the can both be snapped with not too much waiting. This departs between 5 and 6pm, so isn't really fottable at the moment. A fair few pics on the site (link in sig)

HTH

cheers

jo

Thanks for that chaps!

I assume SO means Saturday Only? That would be the one I could see unless I take a day off work......

I have occasionally seen bits of the Robeston working on my drive home, usually just the tanks as I go over one of the bridges, but have never been able to see what was on the front. Perhaps I might have to park up and see if I can catch it.

Archived