RMweb

Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

One DCC controller to control multiple trains.

Multiple DC controllers to control multiple trains.  The price between the two systems starts to come closer.

(Add on handsets for DCC are available for guest operators - they could even bring their own if they're compatible............)

I fully appreciate the cost involved in changing a DC fleet into a DCC system. I was lucky in that a new project came along at the right time that required new stock and most of my older stuff had already been sold on.

Many folk have multiple loco collections, but we all have "favourites" that are the usual first choice to play trains with and those that are left in a siding (*) because they don't work so well . Fit the favourites with decoders first. That way spreads the cost.

(*) isolated with the 30p switch

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

I have operated quite a few DCC powered layouts and I find them at times over complicated. One layout had a hand set with an old fashioned knob just for me to turn as I couldn't get on with the push buttons on the other hand sets.

I don't like model railway sound, it is all locomotive, lacks that bass thump that real railway sound has and being tone deaf  one diesel sounds like another a diesel. I model the 1960s, many units and locos were fitted with lights but they were not bright like on today's railway so for normal daylight operation the lights would not be seen. I can recall the guard putting the lights on as the train approached a tunnel, turning them off afterwards, today the lights are just on and are much brighter than the 30 watt or so bulbs of the 1960s.

For this layout I have only had to buy one transformer. The layout will have four controllers, it needs three for normal use. The fourth one for a guest. I have eight which I acquired over the years. Two will be used for loco testings and not for the layout. Two of the handheld  will be for additional guest operators, it will mean switching off two panel mounts but any more than 4 movements happening at the same time would be asking for trouble. The two hand sets being used the other side of the station so we have room to move.

Points still need powering, so the cost point motors is equal. Their control is not, the cost of a few solder tags with nuts and bolts for a stud contact system is pennies. I using Gaugemaster GM500 for frog switching and they cost less per point than a Hex Frog Juicer. Like wise signals need some form, of control, back to my 30p slide switches.

The wonderful thing about all locos being of one system not mixed is I can run that poor runner and try and sort it as well as my favorites.

Sorry you will not convince and convert me.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Not trying to persuade you, Clive, but speaking generally, you could connect a DCC system in place of one of your controllers, and simply switch a section, sections or the whole layout over to DCC. The only reason for using juicers is to prevent system shut downs if you run against a turnout.

Agree about it often being over complicated: for most modellers, a couple of ten position rotary dials for selecting engines, plus speed knob and direction switch (aligned forward-reverse rather than left-right) is all that’s required, with maybe two or three buttons for those who like sound.

The reason for 4-digit loco addressing is not that US modellers have thousands of locos, but that most North American loco fleets use 4 digit numbers.

I was looking at that map I posted, and noticed it does have the railway lines on it. I have highlighted the different lines and put it up here.

post-8596-0-07664700-1515576638.jpg

The black lines are MSLR/GCR

The white is MR/S&R

The brown is the original S&R to the wicker (later becoming goods only when the white line on the rising viaduct was built to pond street), now closed.

The green is the MSLR/GCR to chappletown/warncliffe side and wombwell/Barnsley (now closed)

The red is the S&D which is still there (just).

Note, S&D is the Sheffield & district, S&R is Sheffield & Rotherham.

Note2-if you look at the map, running alongside the red and green line you can see the M1, even the motorway had to cross the don valley on a viaduct, just like the MSLR at the wicker.

Edited by cheesysmith

I was looking at that map I posted, and noticed it does have the railway lines on it. I have highlighted the different lines and put it up here.

Just a minor point, but the Sheffield District Railway didn't have an 'and' in its name.

Lines around Sheffield are well illustrated by the RCH maps

post-19635-0-88680000-1515582723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Velopeur

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifshe2.jpg

The black lines are MSLR/GCR

The white is MR/S&R

The brown is the original S&R to the wicker (later becoming goods only when the white line on the rising viaduct was built to pond street), now closed.

The green is the MSLR/GCR to chappletown/warncliffe side and wombwell/Barnsley (now closed)

The red is the S&D which is still there (just).

Note2-if you look at the map, running alongside the red and green line you can see the M1, even the motorway had to cross the don valley on a viaduct, just like the MSLR at the wicker.

Whilst not wishing to seem pedantic, but you've missed a bit off, there was a connection on the Spital Hill side of Wicker Goods up to the GC via a tunnel with a rather steep incline.

My dad was a shunter at Wicker goods and told tales of riding up sat on the buffer beam of the loco, holding his breath towards the end when momentum gave way to gravity.

Mike.

Not that it really matters but I have once or twice contemplated where the L&Y would have built a station a in Sheffield.

Given that they did get as far as Penistone on their own metals, they could have kept to reality and ran over the MSLR as far as Deepcar and then had their  line swing off to the other side of the upper Don valley

Or They could have gone around Penistone to the west and ran down through Stocksbridge (handy for steel traffic!) and then down the west side of the Don valley.

Either of those options coupled with where the town limits were in the 1840s makes me think somewhere around Kelham Island / West Bar would have been the likely spot for the station/

IF you Google Bridge Street Bus Station it should come up with some omnibus reacted ideas.

Services 81/82/83/84/88 all went that general direction, as did several other routes but I am not aware of their numbers.

One DCC controller to control multiple trains.

Multiple DC controllers to control multiple trains.  The price between the two systems starts to come closer.

(Add on handsets for DCC are available for guest operators - they could even bring their own if they're compatible............)

I fully appreciate the cost involved in changing a DC fleet into a DCC system. I was lucky in that a new project came along at the right time that required new stock and most of my older stuff had already been sold on.

Many folk have multiple loco collections, but we all have "favourites" that are the usual first choice to play trains with and those that are left in a siding (*) because they don't work so well . Fit the favourites with decoders first. That way spreads the cost.

(*) isolated with the 30p switch

Cheers,

Mick

Banging head on a Brick Wall comes to mind Mick, :O  :no:  believe me, I've tried to bring him into the 21st Century. :sungum:

post-9335-0-08717400-1515611317_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-45923900-1515611341_thumb.jpg

:O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Banging head on a Brick Wall comes to mind Mick, :O  :no:  believe me, I've tried to bring him into the 21st Century. :sungum:

attachicon.gifRunning session with Clive 013.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning session with Clive 014.JPG

So have we Andrew, no chance... Leave the poor old bu**er with his DC, it keeps him happy while we get on with the modern world :)

Andi

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifRunning session with Clive 013.JPG

attachicon.gifRunning session with Clive 014.JPG

:banghead:  Mick 

:banghead: Andy 

:banghead: Andi

:locomotive: Me

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

So have we Andrew, no chance... Leave the poor old bu**er with his DC, it keeps him happy while we get on with the modern world :)

Andi

Yo Andi

Do you still have my/your/our controller with the twiddly thingy on it, just in case I come and play trains with you one day?

"Clive can you take the Norwich?"

"OK" entering 4723 in the controller...no go

"CLIVE the Norwich"

"OK" 4723 in the controller, still no go.

"CLIVE the Norwich!!!!! Have you put the number in?"

"It won't go",

"PUT the number in."

"Have put 4723 IN"

"That's the wrong number"

On the other side of the engine was another number the one I should have put in.  :O

Now with DC it would have been,

"Clive can you take the Norwich"

"Yes", turn the knob and

"WHY ARE YOU DRIVING IT BACKWARDS?" :nono:

See less complicated. :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

"Controller with the twiddly thing". Is that a dcc thing?

Sitting here telling my wife i need a bigger shed. Any tips?

Have to say a nice job on the boards but how many bits of a4 paper did it take to print the plan?

Hmmm, only seem to be asking questions so apologies for that.

• RMweb Premium

"Controller with the twiddly thing". Is that a dcc thing?

Sitting here telling my wife i need a bigger shed. Any tips?

Have to say a nice job on the boards but how many bits of a4 paper did it take to print the plan?

Hmmm, only seem to be asking questions so apologies for that.

1. So I am told.

2. Let her have an acre and half, stables, riding school, muck heap, handsome stable lad* and two horses.

3. 225 , well a bit more because I reprinted the station with slightly narrower platforms. That is the plan I went for in the end.

4. Please keep asking.

* OK a fat bald bloke to help muck out.

• RMweb Gold

1. So I am told.

2. Let her have an acre and half, stables, riding school, muck heap, handsome stable lad* and two horses.

3. 225 , well a bit more because I reprinted the station with slightly narrower platforms. That is the plan I went for in the end.

4. Please keep asking.

* OK a fat bald bloke to help muck out.

Stable??

You??

Mike.