Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Stop being a Southern softie. You've moved North (ish).

Get over it and have a bowl of "man up" for breakfast every day. Or wear another jumper. Sorted.

Sheesh..................... 

:sungum:

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

I dispute your accusation of me being a Southern Softie.  I was born and brought up in Bedford, now Bedford has a problem it doesn't know where it is. It isn't in the Midlands, it isn't in East Anglia and it isn't in the South. So technically I am not a Southern Softie despite years of practice while I in exile in Eesex.

Second jumper has been worn over the past few days, it must be at least 10 degrees colder now I am living near the Arctic Circle.

• Like 2

Second jumper?

You big softie.

Just a jumper would make you a softie.

Surely you know that oop north, the correct attire for a cold winter’s evening is a vest?

And a woolly hat and thermal socks as least I would have thought. :O

So now we have 4 Rads Mortimore! :scared:  :scared:

Edited by Andrew P

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

Plan of room with train set. The radiator that might cause the biggest problem is the one by the door.

radiators.png

Looks mint. Seems like a good set up.

After making my minories layout too low I'd def go for something higher next time!

The other thing I have learnt is that a really high back scene with lots of Sky stops the problems with photography. I'm still working on how to get round the fore ground issue but my future plans will have the station raised on blue brick viaducts so that should hopefully help...when it gets built in 2074

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Second jumper?

You big softie.

Just a jumper would make you a softie.

Surely you know that oop north, the correct attire for a cold winter’s evening is a vest?

So I'm a softie. Look not use to this life in the wilderness so I have to acclimatize, so second cardigan is ready for use. 

Come the summer when everyone is whingeing how hot they are I will still have me cardy at the ready. 

Just a thought Clive.

To me the track layout of your terminus seems very symmetrical. Would two separate companies have almost identical track layouts?

The GNR and L&Y did at Bradford Exchange, producing a very symmetrical station.

I'd have the layout higher rater than lower. I think they look best at just below eye level - you can always make a little plinth to mount your chair on so you can sit and still have a realistic view. You don't view the prototype from a balloon unless your name is Branson!

And radiators can always be moved or changed. 

Ian (Still an IAR supporter...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Bewre if you have cats. We have those radiator covers make from MDF you can get from te likes of the DIY store, and they are perfect perch for felines to warm their backsides on. I could forsee the same for anyone with a layout above a radiator.

Thanks for the warning. With Gus the Gundog, Hugo the Hopeless Hunting Hound and the two 'orses we have enough animals at the moment .

I know you have set upon a track design for your layout, but browsing the web i found this and thought about the comment you made about bradford exchange.

http://www.lymmobservatory.net/railways/sbdiagrams/bradford_x_q60.jpg

I think this would make a good layout, and all the signals are already there for you. And the different platform lengths would make operation more interesting.

• RMweb Premium

I know you have set upon a track design for your layout, but browsing the web i found this and thought about the comment you made about bradford exchange.

http://www.lymmobservatory.net/railways/sbdiagrams/bradford_x_q60.jpg

I think this would make a good layout, and all the signals are already there for you. And the different platform lengths would make operation more interesting.

Thanks. That is only half the station, the L&YR bit the GNR was a mirror image.

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/lmsr/M309.gif

Bradford Exchange would make a great model.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

The black ovals, which I guess are for occupancy indicators, also provide a guide to wiring the layout to get the right level of operational flexibility.

bradford_x_q60.jpg

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The black ovals, which I guess are for occupancy indicators, also provide a guide to wiring the layout to get the right level of operational flexibility.

{lights blue touch paper]

Use DCC - then it will be totally flexible.............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

{lights blue touch paper]

Use DCC - then it will be totally flexible.............

Cheers,

Mick

Michael dear lad,

DCC is supposed to be two wires. DC is only two wires. One from the right hand set of wheels to the motor brush and one  form the left to the other brush. Track wise two wires from the switch to the track section. Slide switch is 30p a DCC chip is? I don't know cos I don't buy them. :boast:

bradford_x_q60.jpg

The track circuits do look very much DCC power fields......No need for sections with DCC.  :no:  :no:  :no: 

I am old fashioned and I find most of the add ons from DCC like lights, and sound to be gimmicks, I still find the best gimmick is the trains move.

• Like 2

I have been given a cold by one of those ill blighters that tell me they are my family so don't feel at all Christmasy .

Still end of year celebratory greetings to all who have wound up on this thread.

Humm Excuse me for being a BIT PICKY, but isn't it another WEEK to the End of the WORLD    YEAR :O

• RMweb Premium

Humm Excuse me for being a BIT PICKY, but isn't it another WEEK to the End of the WORLD    YEAR :O

Andrew dear friend, I worked for a charity that was more PC than it was worth being, we had "an end of year celebratory event", where our CEO would pretend we were all wonderful. You should have seen her face when two members of staff stood up and said "Why isn't this called the Christmas celebration". The chap was wearing a skull cap and the lady a headscarf. So since then it has always been to me the "end of year celebration".

Edited by Clive Mortimore