Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ray H said:

Can you have metal bagpipes?  🙄

If you can have a metal clarinet, aka saxophone, then why not metal bag pipes (expect the bag of course).  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

If you can have a metal clarinet, aka saxophone, then why not metal bag pipes (expect the bag of course).  

It would sound a lot better with a metal bag🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hmmm.... if a Metal Clarinet is a Saxophone, does that make Metal Bagpipes an Accordion?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Hmmm.... if a Metal Clarinet is a Saxophone, does that make Metal Bagpipes an Accordion?

No it makes it a 33/1!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday's operating session ended up with all passenger platforms occupied, the centre siding had the station pilot with a couple of parcels van and in the loading bay was a Cravens Motor Luggage Van. It was full.

a003.jpg.ad2a770786ecd9d820bb9cf2d36405f5.jpg

a004.jpg.0ec0d76e819e56894482e04c012bfe46.jpg

a008.jpg.e699d62f0861e4a527ed164e33626c0f.jpg

a009.jpg.280fccb26ef0e3733b1c9050eb5299c2.jpg

I am thinking the signal box needs to be moved over to one side, as the old mechanical box would have possibly been where it is.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 4

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

am thinking the signal box needs to be moved over to one side, as the old mechanical box would have possibly been where it is

That’s why you take your time with the build, to make sure you get the scenery right.

richard 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The buses have started to complain that the masking tape that is supposed to be holding the cardboard bridges together is now getting a tad unsafe as it is peeling off. So last night I built the carcasses for the two bridges.

The L&YR line bridge looks a tad tight, it is only just over the minimum clearances but it is the same size as the previous cardboard one. 

a006.jpg.30f55a721ab4aeb2caeafbb95da34ad4.jpg

The GNR bridge will be a girder design. I made a second portal, not too sure if to have the tail end of a siding/headshunt poking through or to use as a road vehicle access.

a002.jpg.3829b49ed6ae161879d5eb3206905602.jpg

a010.jpg.a9b5f0041e10a56a9a836e864635da3f.jpg

I am looking forward to finishing the curved incline into the goods yard.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Perhaps a model of Fenchurch Street signal box would look good?

https://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Fenchurch_Street.html

Now hold on there young Stephen.

It is a well known fact that Sheffield Exchange was re-signaled by the Westinghouse company in 1931 after they had completed the Manchester Victoria and Exchange signalling  and this is what the box will look like.

And what's more this video is full of helpful information. https://www.flickr.com/photos/panarail/7551627606/in/album-72157630386373224/

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yesterday's operating session ended up with all passenger platforms occupied, the centre siding had the station pilot with a couple of parcels van and in the loading bay was a Cravens Motor Luggage Van. It was full.

a003.jpg.ad2a770786ecd9d820bb9cf2d36405f5.jpg

a004.jpg.0ec0d76e819e56894482e04c012bfe46.jpg

a008.jpg.e699d62f0861e4a527ed164e33626c0f.jpg

a009.jpg.280fccb26ef0e3733b1c9050eb5299c2.jpg

I am thinking the signal box needs to be moved over to one side, as the old mechanical box would have possibly been where it is.

Second photo extreme left; note the fully finished DMU with expertly applied weathering representing extremely corroded roof and end. . .😀

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The buses have started to complain that the masking tape that is supposed to be holding the cardboard bridges together is now getting a tad unsafe as it is peeling off. So last night I built the carcasses for the two bridges.

The L&YR line bridge looks a tad tight, it is only just over the minimum clearances but it is the same size as the previous cardboard one. 

a006.jpg.30f55a721ab4aeb2caeafbb95da34ad4.jpg

The GNR bridge will be a girder design. I made a second portal, not too sure if to have the tail end of a siding/headshunt poking through or to use as a road vehicle access.

a002.jpg.3829b49ed6ae161879d5eb3206905602.jpg

a010.jpg.a9b5f0041e10a56a9a836e864635da3f.jpg

I am looking forward to finishing the curved incline into the goods yard.

I'd have loved to be a spotter at Sheffield Exchange on this day.  Even without the scenery added I can "see" the station and its environs.

Is it the compressed perspective or is the access road to the goods depot incredibly steep?  For the signal box; perhaps like Liverpool Lime Street the "modern" one would be up against the backscene.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'd have loved to be a spotter at Sheffield Exchange on this day.  Even without the scenery added I can "see" the station and its environs.

Is it the compressed perspective or is the access road to the goods depot incredibly steep?  For the signal box; perhaps like Liverpool Lime Street the "modern" one would be up against the backscene.

Thank you.

The incline is about a 1 in 4 which most road vehicles can manage for a short distance.

There is no backscene, apart from the little bit between the bridges. The station is viewable form both sides and the concourse end.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Yesterday I revised the wide to gauge trap point on the centre sidings. The scratchbuilt one didn't really work so I converted an old Peco three way point. I removed the unwanted diverging point blades and the middle crossing V .  The other one didn't have any means of locking the blades in place, using a Peco point the tie bar springs will perform this duty. I have fitted it with two point motors working opposite to each other. To prevent the point motors from throwing the blades to far I have inserted some wire in the holes formally occupied by the other blades.

002.jpg.e942c0631278f05139b9154f3a6f93d1.jpg

Set as a trap

001.jpg.eb2754d72e4991876b58297f6bbbf171.jpg

Should have been set for running, I didn't push the top blade over before taking the photo , but you get what I am on about.........hopefully.

Now with this name I had to post one of her songs on here.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done!  Not a cheap way to purchase a wide to gauge trap if buying new!

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I helped my friend Simon with his Horncastle layout at the lovely Immingham exhibition yesterday. Now I wasn't going to buy anything. I saw a AEC Renown bus that could pass as a Shieffield Transport AEC Bridgemaster when repainted at a very good price.

Then this saw me and begged me to take it to a new home.

a010.jpg.295fac1af2fd39ed1af69af809ef2f4b.jpg

It hadn't run for some time so needed a good service. I don't think it had been used much, so I think the old Railway Modeller end line of a review is fitting "it will improve with running in" It looked luverly pulling a rake of coaches.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I was not 100% happy with the ramp down to the goods yard from the GNR bridge, too steep. I thought how about the last bit of the bridge be opened up and become a road entrance to the goods yard. While on the dog walk I had another thought as I didn't know what to do with the gap between the bridge and the good shed. How about a ramp that isn't so steep and still open up the last bit of the bridge. More difficult to write than the pictures will show.

a010.jpg.6f377444e73d06417a4eeb3584e2f1b8.jpg

The steep ramp.

flat.jpg.b4a0f3f6fb26e4be0c0afa2fc5a73073.jpg

No ramp , just imagine there is a portal in the bridge.

ramp.jpg.ad67e3efdbbeb140a6be81a21cbdcbe8.jpg

The not so steep ramp.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s a TARDIS ramp.  You drive on at the bottom, drive up at the angle shown, keep on driving and then you’re at the top . . . 
If the Doctor could do it, I’m sure Clive’s vehicles can!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Bit confused here, Clive. In the final pic how do vehicles reach the bridge road level?

Hi Peter

I am going open out another portal in the bridge so the road goes under the bridge at a slightly higher level than the railway. I have no idea where it goes from there as I won't be able to see it, but I assume it attaches to a road in the distance at a higher level. If the road on the bridge connects with it somewhere, I haven't a clue.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

It’s a TARDIS ramp.  You drive on at the bottom, drive up at the angle shown, keep on driving and then you’re at the top . . . 
If the Doctor could do it, I’m sure Clive’s vehicles can!

Paul.

Interesting.

• RMweb Premium

Whoops I hadn't taken into account the depth of the girder, so I had to lower it slightly, plus I also hadn't give it enough clearance for a van to go under. I have also cut out the portal so others and I can get a better idea of what I intend.

mod.jpg.1270e37f5bf8b0890c8d55085b792755.jpg

modwithdmu.jpg.866004679d6780318876b137540f82d9.jpg

It looks busy with nothing going on.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Peter

I am going open out another portal in the bridge so the road goes under the bridge at a slightly higher level than the railway. I have no idea where it goes from there as I won't be able to see it, but I assume it attaches to a road in the distance at a higher level. If the road on the bridge connects with it somewhere, I haven't a clue.

If you're going to do that, why not leave it level until it's passed under the road? A half-height bridge opening sounds a bit odd to me.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If you're going to do that, why not leave it level until it's passed under the road? A half-height bridge opening sounds a bit odd to me.

The road coming down to the gods yard was in place before the bridge was built.

Maybe.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The road coming down to the gods yard was in place before the bridge was built.

Maybe.

If it was built long long ago, it would have possibly been designed for Horse Wagons loaded ascending, or really cranky old Vehicles, so maybe just reduce the slope a tad again? Compromise between yours and Enoch's Flat?

Deffo have the Junction to Main Road(s) elsewhere so you don't have to build it!

Philth.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1