Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Following this blokes rant I have been giving some thought on what I want to achieve, before the nursing home or I am lying in a box made of baseboard wood, with Sheffield Exchange.

It isn't a real place, so that throws out any rubbish of trying to create an accurate historical model.

I want to recreate as close as I can a visual interpretation of a busy terminus station during the days when steam and diesel traction rubbed shoulders. Somewhere away from London, ideally where I can mix both London Midland Region and Eastern Region motive power and rolling stock. In choosing a Sheffield location I can also include through trains from the North Eastern Region as well.  On purpose I have chosen two railways that did make it to Sheffield but not on their own tracks. Another deliberate choice is not to have any Midland Railway or Great Central locomotives. There are many other major towns either side of the Pennines which I could have chosen. I also could have chosen a fictitious name, for example Halham Exchange, but choose Sheffield as one of my aims is for all DMUs to have Sheffield destination one end and a plausible return the other end.  

I enjoy self imposed model making challenges. To me that is where most the fun is. Mind you that compressor is sat in the corner gathering dust due to my unintentional get up and go with slashing some colour on my modelling efforts.

I also enjoy operating Sheff Ex, in fact I feel quite chuffed with myself that I have operationally wise made a station that works nearly like a real one would have done. Too many times standing on the end of Kings Cross Platform 10 (later number 8) in the days when real trains with engines on their fronts went about their duties.  A final aim is work out a time table where irrespective of the motive power and coaching stock in use the train is siding one of the Doncaster fuddle yard it follows the same pattern of working.

I want the station to have working colour light signals based on pre 1940 LMS and Westinghouse practice which would still have been in use in the 1960s. I have the bits to do this, just need to pull my finger out.

In conclusion Sheffield Exchange is a good excuse for me to indulge in a fun to operate layout that hopefully will represent a recognisable time period and location. With the added bonus of me enjoying the challenges of making it along the way.

I will try to not be one of the "gatekeepers" of the hobby but someone who helps others develop what they want to do buy sharing what is in my pile of achieve material and  with my modelling experiences.

Well that video was quite fun! I wonder if I'm the only one who thought that Peter Kay (Bolton comedian) had grown a beard and taken up model railways?

I'd agree with much of what he said. "Gatekeeping" is one of those modern phrases, belongs a bit to the under 40's, and I think I'd use the word "snobbery" from my era.

It isn't anything new, and took place in spades at the end of steam/ early diesel era. I recall going to the RCTS in Preston in the early 70's as a teenager. Lots of chaps remembering the old days, slide shows of Duchesses on Shap (nothing wrong with either), and a total disdain for anything after August 1968 and "diseasels" (lots wrong with that). They might as well have said "sit down, keep quiet and learn from your betters".

I was lucky. I found an older friend who was interested in diesels, and presented in the right way it was a pleaure to learn from him and listen to his experiences about growing up in Liverpool near Edge Hill in the 40's and 50's. I'm also a contrarian by nature, so the more people tell me that something is pointless, the more interested I get. I could otherwise have been lost to the hobby of railways, and modelling, and I'm sure many people of my (and Clive's age) were.

So I've a lot of empathy with the message in the video, and I still keep thinking of Peter Kay!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
Clarity
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I was lucky. I found an older friend who was interested in diesels, and presented in the right way it was a pleaure to learn from him and listen to his experiences about growing up in Liverpool near Edge Hill in the 40's and 50's. I'm also a contrarian by nature, so the more people tell me that something is pointless, the more interested I get. I could otherwise have been lost to the hobby of railways, and modelling, and I'm sure many people of my (and Clive's age) were.

Hi John,

As you know I model Southern Region steam but given my work in the 1960's on 08, 33, 73 classes and EMUs/DEMU's I have a very catholic view of railway modelling. Whatever era is your thing then that is fine. I even have a model of a Crompton and an 07 and look forward to Michael Edge completing the development of the Maunsell DE shunter so that I can build one.

Clive is, apart from being a very amusing observer and commentator of all things pompous in the model railway fraturnity and a musical powerhouse is also leading expert on all matters DMU (and 25kv EMU) and I'm sure inspired many modellers of the post steam railway. Long may an open minded approach to our hobby continue.

Kind regards,

PS Sorry Clive I am sure you know much more about many other things too, not least armoured vehicles.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Well that video was quite fun! I wonder if I'm the only one who thought that Peter Kay (Bolton comedian) had grown a beard and taken up model railways?

I'd agree with much of what he said. "Gatekeeping" is one of those modern phrases, belongs a bit to the under 40's, and I think I'd use the word "snobbery" from my era.

It isn't anything new, and took place in spades at the end of steam/ early diesel era. I recall going to the RCTS in Preston in the early 70's as a teenager. Lots of chaps remembering the old days, slide shows of Duchesses on Shap (nothing wrong with either), and a total disdain for anything after August 1968 and "diseasels" (lots wrong with that). They might as well have said "sit down, keep quiet and learn from your betters".

So I've a lot of empathy with the message in the video, and I still keep thinking of Peter Kay!

John.

Unfortunately I found when editing the SLS Journal  that only pre-1968 seems to matter remains prevalent.  I did receive a handful of articles on non-steam and/or contemporary matters but they were no more than a 1/3rd of the submissions even being generous.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john new said:

Unfortunately I found when editing the SLS Journal  that only pre-1968 seems to matter remains prevalent.  I did receive a handful of articles on non-steam and/or contemporary matters but they were no more than a 1/3rd of the submissions even being generous.

Reading my Railway Observer, I can detect a correlation between those RCTS Branches with small, declining attendances and a calendar of meetings consisting almost entirely of slideshows of pre-1968 steam, steam on preserved railways or steam railtours.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Following this blokes rant I have been giving some thought on what I want to achieve, before the nursing home or I am lying in a box made of baseboard wood, with Sheffield Exchange.

It isn't a real place, so that throws out any rubbish of trying to create an accurate historical model.

I want to recreate as close as I can a visual interpretation of a busy terminus station during the days when steam and diesel traction rubbed shoulders. Somewhere away from London, ideally where I can mix both London Midland Region and Eastern Region motive power and rolling stock. In choosing a Sheffield location I can also include through trains from the North Eastern Region as well.  On purpose I have chosen two railways that did make it to Sheffield but not on their own tracks. Another deliberate choice is not to have any Midland Railway or Great Central locomotives. There are many other major towns either side of the Pennines which I could have chosen. I also could have chosen a fictitious name, for example Halham Exchange, but choose Sheffield as one of my aims is for all DMUs to have Sheffield destination one end and a plausible return the other end.  

I enjoy self imposed model making challenges. To me that is where most the fun is. Mind you that compressor is sat in the corner gathering dust due to my unintentional get up and go with slashing some colour on my modelling efforts.

I also enjoy operating Sheff Ex, in fact I feel quite chuffed with myself that I have operationally wise made a station that works nearly like a real one would have done. Too many times standing on the end of Kings Cross Platform 10 (later number 8) in the days when real trains with engines on their fronts went about their duties.  A final aim is work out a time table where irrespective of the motive power and coaching stock in use the train is siding one of the Doncaster fuddle yard it follows the same pattern of working.

I want the station to have working colour light signals based on pre 1940 LMS and Westinghouse practice which would still have been in use in the 1960s. I have the bits to do this, just need to pull my finger out.

In conclusion Sheffield Exchange is a good excuse for me to indulge in a fun to operate layout that hopefully will represent a recognisable time period and location. With the added bonus of me enjoying the challenges of making it along the way.

I will try to not be one of the "gatekeepers" of the hobby but someone who helps others develop what they want to do buy sharing what is in my pile of achieve material and  with my modelling experiences.

He makes many very good points, particularly about the difference between sharing information and just telling others they are wrong.

I wouldn't have minded though if he'd made those points in about half the time.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Reading my Railway Observer, I can detect a correlation between those RCTS Branches with small, declining attendances and a calendar of meetings consisting almost entirely of slideshows of pre-1968 steam, steam on preserved railways or steam railtours.

Yes. The other change though is due to changes in IT. Modern enthusiasts, whether their interest is in steam or other railway areas don’t have to go to a club meeting to see a presentation on a topic. Back in the 1970s it was join a/the Society, go to the monthly meeting and you got that month’s topic. Today it has progressed so far you don’t need the physical events it is on YouTube within hours, or even live. Lots of other pressures on time, cost of living etc., amplifying that. In the SLS we are trying to adapt with use of zoom (and recordings to aid time shift) but the fact remains (picking a topic at random) if I want to see analysis of Swiss Railways it is probably on YouTube not wait eleven months and hope a speaker will cover it. The social side the key driver for physical attendance.

Societies are in steep decline, perhaps except for line or scale specific one’s, as the information is available freely elsewhere. Model shows might be next, with the from a distance visitors dropping off first. We live in interesting times.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

New Dog Party song

Reminds me of the old joke (snowflakes, please look away now):

What's the difference between a dog and a fox? About five pints.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

On 24/03/2024 at 22:28, Clive Mortimore said:

I think shoe horning gatekeeper or rivet counter into a youtube video title does wonders for views and likes. 

I honestly have not come across the mythical rivet counter but I have come across plenty in the hobby who seem hell bent on proving it doesnt matter very much to them and nor should it to anyone else. 

This is why I haven't got a youtube channel because I too would spend more time ranting and less time modelling. Having Rmweb is bad enough ;-) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am considering reporting your comment to Mr York.

Mentioning paint scares the dogs.

Does it frighten the horses too?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Does it frighten the horses too?

To a degree but what really gets them in a panic are words like finish, glazing, interiors, close couplings etc.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

To a degree but what really gets them in a panic are words like finish, glazing, interiors, close couplings etc.

DCC?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Back to trains.

Nice work Clive and in particular, I admire the way you have batted to the boundry the hurtful comments....

It is pleasing to see that the level of completion for little steam engines is very similar to the standard applied to rolling stock and DMU's. Long may this approach continue.

KInd regards,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

DCC?

Now go to your room young man and think very carefully about what you have done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

DCC?

23 minutes ago, ian said:

Now go to your room young man and think very carefully about what you have done.

Yo Sainty

Do as Ian says, no TV, no phone, no laptop, and no tea.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, ian said:

Young man! I like that. Thanks.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2