Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Woody, another band I am going to have listen to :good:

I did drag myself into the play room for a short period and ran some trains. I have only one GWR coach in service on Sheff Ex, a Hawksworth BG. It likes to derail for no reason. I cannot find out why. The steps on its bogies catch on the platforms unless the train comes in straight, so coming in off a point, BANG !!!!!!!!! The train is derailed. I have been kind to it , no effect. I have threatened it with does it want to be stamped on by the right or left foot, no effect. I have even told it it will be replaced by a SR B, still it plays up. HELP.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No motivation today. :negative:

Try turning the power on?

Or if that doesn't work then turn it off then on again?

You could try running the daftest train you can think of. such as maroon coaches between green DMUs?

Anyone think of a dafter train consist?

Cheers anyway

Paul

• Like 2

I did drag myself into the play room for a short period and ran some trains. I have only one GWR coach in service on Sheff Ex, a Hawksworth BG. It likes to derail for no reason. I cannot find out why. The steps on its bogies catch on the platforms unless the train comes in straight, so coming in off a point, BANG !!!!!!!!! The train is derailed. I have been kind to it , no effect. I have threatened it with does it want to be stamped on by the right or left foot, no effect. I have even told it it will be replaced by a SR B, still it plays up. HELP.

Try shunting it into a siding next to the SR B and leaving it there for a week?

Or if you really want to solve it , how about replacing the wheels or the bogies- you clearly need to sort the step on the bogie?

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martin

It is a Griddle Car diagram 30. It is made up of off cuts from other projects.

Just had a look.

That was the thing the windows are still full depth.

Are they getting shrunk soon?

Looks like a job for multiple RMBs.

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No motivation today. :negative:

Hi Clive,

Think yourself lucky, I've been like that for several weeks. Nothing toy train wise in my head and therefore as a result nothing on the bench either.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, MJI said:

Just had a look.

That was the thing the windows are still full depth.

Are they getting shrunk soon?

Looks like a job for multiple RMBs.

Hi Martin 

The shallow windows have plastic card in the lower half. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Try shunting it into a siding next to the SR B and leaving it there for a week?

Or if you really want to solve it , how about replacing the wheels or the bogies- you clearly need to sort the step on the bogie?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

The problem seems to be to do with the couplings not lining up straight when the coach comes out of a curve not allowing the bogie to realign itself. They seem to be catching somewhere under the body. Turn it upside down and nothing seems wrong.

As for the steps they may soon meet with a pair of cutters.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

The problem seems to be to do with the couplings not lining up straight when the coach comes out of a curve not allowing the bogie to realign itself. They seem to be catching somewhere under the body. Turn it upside down and nothing seems wrong.

I had the same problem with a couple of Hawksworth coaches. The cause was the close-coupling mechanism. The cam was "catching" on the back of the headstock slightly, preventing it from self-centring properly. A few strokes with a sanding stick fixed it. A bit of dry graphite lubricant is always good on these too. The Bachmann equivalents are a different design and so far I haven't had any problems with those.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

15 years since John Peel passed away, and still there is not a DJ who has been able to step into his shoes.

As you know, our musical tastes are very different, but I completely agree with you on this.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

As you know, our musical tastes are very different, but I completely agree with you on this.

Paul.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend reading his autobiography, "Margrave of the Marshes", which his wife completed after his death.  It's one of those books that you read hearing the words in his voice, which is often hilarious.

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

15 years since John Peel passed away, and still there is not a DJ who has been able to step into his shoes. For John

Fearghal Sharkey was on R4 just last night, campaigning about restoring a chalk river (dried up due to over-extraction) near his home in Hertfordshire.

Edited by Northmoor
Added quote
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Martin 

The shallow windows have plastic card in the lower half. 

You just put that in and reposted them didn't you?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Paul

Soft pencil on the rubbing edges should help, or as mentioned here a graphite lubricant.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am in the toy room and have  a Met-Cam 3 car travelling from Hull and a 8 car train from York via Leeds and Barnsley formed of a 4 car BRCW and a 4 car Derby units whizzing round the room. 

Before them the Leeds and York parcels left. The Leeds had a Standard class 4 tank on the front and the York was hauled by a Brush type 2. They did look good leaving side by side from platform 7 and 8, the Leeds taking the Barnsley road and the York the Doncaster branch. 

Two questions. 

1, Do I fit tension locks on my Sutton Sulzer Type 2s so they are useful to me? 

2, To the GWR fans on here, what is the difference between a K41 and a K42 Gangwayed Passenger Brake apart form the K41 being 9 ft wide and the K42 being 8ft 11ins? In 4mm should I be able to tell the difference?  

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

Question 1: no. Make up a converter wagon or carriage. 

Question 2 : it is gwr so it will all look the same. ( fuse lit, and stand back)

richard

Hi Richard

Answer 1, is a good idea but it would take me a lot of planning to ensure that the converter was on a train arriving in the station when a Sutton loco is on shed. Planning and me are not always the bestest of mates. Having said that I have come up with an idea  (while typing my reply to you), make some wire thingies to hang on and between the buffers for the hook of the coach's tension lock coupling to attach to.

Answer 2, that is the problem with with k41 and K42 the do look the same. I have two aluminum body shells that could be either in my mind, I just want to make sure I get them right.  They do not look like K40s or K44s which I am contemplating making.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Richard

Answer 1, is a good idea but it would take me a lot of planning to ensure that the converter was on a train arriving in the station when a Sutton loco is on shed. Planning and me are not always the bestest of mates. Having said that I have come up with an idea  (while typing my reply to you), make some wire thingies to hang on and between the buffers for the hook of the coach's tension lock coupling to attach to.

Answer 2, that is the problem with with k41 and K42 the do look the same. I have two aluminum body shells that could be either in my mind, I just want to make sure I get them right.  They do not look like K40s or K44s which I am contemplating making.

Another alternative to attaching a wire between the buffers is to make a goalpost shaped wire and glue the two ends into holes drilled into the buffer beam. If you have any chemical blackening fluid (such as Birchwood Casey), apply to the wire before forming, then fit to the loco - you'll probably struggle to see that it's there.

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am in the toy room and have  a Met-Cam 3 car travelling from Hull and a 8 car train from York via Leeds and Barnsley formed of a 4 car BRCW and a 4 car Derby units whizzing round the room. 

Before them the Leeds and York parcels left. The Leeds had a Standard class 4 tank on the front and the York was hauled by a Brush type 2. They did look good leaving side by side from platform 7 and 8, the Leeds taking the Barnsley road and the York the Doncaster branch. 

Two questions. 

1, Do I fit tension locks on my Sutton Sulzer Type 2s so they are useful to me? 

2, To the GWR fans on here, what is the difference between a K41 and a K42 Gangwayed Passenger Brake apart form the K41 being 9 ft wide and the K42 being 8ft 11ins? In 4mm should I be able to tell the difference?  

1. No, fit new couplings to all the rest of your stock.

2. Not much difference visually:

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

1. No, fit new couplings to all the rest of your stock.

2. Not much difference visually:

Thank you John

1, I am not fitting 3 link hooks and anchor chains to all my stock. I can't see them to couple up, they are too fiddly, I am to old to start changing things, and to reach the middle platforms to undertake coupling, goodness knows what damage I would to to the layout and myself. I fink the wire idea is the best or just say sod it to the fancy pipes and fit tension locks.

2, Thank you.

• Friendly/supportive 4