Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I cooked sausages, mash and beans last night. It was chips and burgers tonight.

Anyhow you are clever enough to make your own 6 wheeled chassis.

Hi Clive,

After all that lot, especially the beans I shall say this, "Flatulence will get you no where !" 

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

It was his post that prompted me get me ar$e in gear. I would have offered but, one I do not do commissions only make for mates and, two the abuse I got from the DCC experts when he asked about was it worth going DCC and not staying with DC.  I am still trying to drive the track but all I get is the trains moving, don't know what I am doing wrong.

Hi Clive,

With six wheeled coach chassis would you not need three wires, one for each axle, or should I stick to DMU's ?

I may have confused myself somewhat there.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

DCC and not staying with DC.  I am still trying to drive the track but all I get is the trains moving,

Please Sir!?

If DC is driving the track and getting the trains to move (admirable in my opinion), and DCC is driving the trains (presumably) (other manufacturers slogans are available), what is it when I’m aiming to be the other side of the 4mm eyeball and driving the signals?  Can I be DCCC please?

Paul.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I cooked sausages, mash and beans last night. It was chips and burgers tonight.

Anyhow you are clever enough to make your own 6 wheeled chassis.

I helped Dee un pack a Chinese Take away earlier, does that count as a skill?:D

Edited by Andrew P
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

After all that lot, especially the beans I shall say this, "Flatulence will get you no where !" 

Gibbo.

There was a young fellow named Carter

Who was a magnificent f@rter.

On the strength of one bean

He'd f@rt God Save the Queen

And Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

I thank you.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

There was a young fellow named Carter

Who was a magnificent f@rter.

On the strength of one bean

He'd f@rt God Save the Queen

And Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

I thank you.

Sir, I trump your verse !

Oh my lord,

That was a burp,

It came form near my heart,

If it was from the other end,

It would have been a feart.

Have a watch of this crazy film:

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Oh my lord,

That was a burp,

Gibbo.

Yes, that was a wonderful little film. Oh how we miss the late, great Leonard Rossiter.

Here's another I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t5_oHaTE78

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Oh my lord,

That was a burp,

Gibbo.

I remember seeing Le Petomane at the cinema in Colchester when I was still in the army. For the life of me I cannot remember what the main film was.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to add that I shortened the chassis a had made 2mm longer for the over length class 125 TS.

To pull the roof down on to the sides, as it had a slight hog to it, I placed the body on to the new class 125's TS chassis and put the screw holding the body tightly into the roof. This morning when I came to take it apart one side had done as I expected the other must have still had wet glue on it as it parted with the roof and ends and was fixed to the chassis. Soon sorted.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

using the Brian Kirby method of making each seating bay a 1/4mm shorter therefore keeping the coach the right length. Lima made the seating bays too long and reduced the size of the loo in the center car of the 117 DMU so if you do not make the seating bays shorter then you can end up with a coach that is 2mm too long, as I did with my first attempt of the class 125 middle coach.

So that explains why I can’t work out a simple cobbling together of two centre car bodies to make a 116 TS

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, timbowilts said:

So that explains why I can’t work out a simple cobbling together of two centre car bodies to make a 116 TS

Tim T

All packed up ready to move to Felinfoel

Hi Tim 

I cut each bay with the door to the right keeping the hinges intact. After taking off any burrs left from cutting I remove 1/4 mm from the left hand end, and any adjustments are made on this side. Inside is s strip of plastic card 1mm by 1mm by the coach length, 7.5mm up from the bottom of the coach side. I mark the center  placing the first bay on the center line in the center of the window. Working outwards I adjust each bay so that the door window lines up with the same window on the drawing. I find it easier to place the outside of the model on to the drawing and for the class 116 I used the right hand side drawing for the left hand side of the coach body and the other way for the other side, dose that make sense. 

When you are set up in your new abode I would love to see some of you modelling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am continuing with the class 47 running. The Bachy and Heljan models were fine, some rolling stock problems with the Mk1 cut and shuts, they are waiting to be rewheeled.  I then ran a Lima, first of many, and a GBL model which has two Hornby power bogies. The GBL runs lovely light engine but not so with a train, I put a little weight in it and there was a slight improvement. As I haven't finished the full conversion I will be adding additional lead to it. 

Next up were my Vi Trains locos, they just purred along at all speed ranges. In one Vi Trains box is a Hornby Type Four and Half mounted on a Lima chassis no running problems but it did seem strange seeing an old Hornby model every time I looked round where the Lima racket was coming from. That is all the ones in their own boxes. I am now running those in the big boxes, and as I type there is a Heljan rolling along and a very old Hornby loco, it needed a help from the hand of Odin to get going and I think it is finding 10 on the back hard going, it is still doing a good scale 65 mph. 

I am waiting for the cement to dry on the plastic card being used to make the headcode box bigger on my class 118. 

• Like 3

I ran some trains today, and built another couple of feet of retaining wall. First time I've been in the shed for over a month...

20191013_152631_Richtone(HDR).jpg.6ecc7f27bfb51693f70136bccaf0cc5f.jpg

Cravens and SGV set on the left and the Mark 3 push-pull set on the right.  I've been fiddling about with pp set fitting body mounted kadees.  I wanted close coupling (the gangways actualky touch) and reliable propelling.

Now I've done it, I know a better way to do the next set!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The testing of Brush 4s continues, I am now up to number 26. Most of the latest ones have been Lima and Hornby. Only one has been sidelined for more attention, runs nicely and will shift a train of ten but at a snail's pace. I cannot see what is wrong so I suspect it is either a weak magnet or a damaged armature.  Others have needed wheel cleaning and motors oiling. I had one that kept losing traction, wheels were spinning/slipping but a drastic reduction in speed on some parts of the circuit. I hadn't noticed it had no traction tyres when I cleaned its wheels. Now sorted.

On the DMU modelling front I have had a bash at making the headcode box bigger on the two driving coaches which will make up the class 118.

100_5898a.jpg.7da8af8d5aae263011573c3e00b1b23c.jpg

Compare the green one with the enlarged box with the white one which is a standard Lima front. I think the bigger headcode box improved the look. I noticed tonight that the Dapol 00 model 121 has a BRCW round top to its headcode box not a flat Pressed Steel one as it should have.  They got it right on their N gauge one but wrong on their 0 gauge one.

The white one will end up having a front like the 125 next to it.

100_5900a.jpg.e3b2db49a7d101ddc5598a52509fe8a4.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The testing of Brush 4s continues, I am now up to number 26. Most of the latest ones have been Lima and Hornby. Only one has been sidelined for more attention, runs nicely and will shift a train of ten but at a snail's pace. I cannot see what is wrong so I suspect it is either a weak magnet or a damaged armature.  Others have needed wheel cleaning and motors oiling. I had one that kept losing traction, wheels were spinning/slipping but a drastic reduction in speed on some parts of the circuit. I hadn't noticed it had no traction tyres when I cleaned its wheels. Now sorted.

On the DMU modelling front I have had a bash at making the headcode box bigger on the two driving coaches which will make up the class 118.

100_5898a.jpg.7da8af8d5aae263011573c3e00b1b23c.jpg

Compare the green one with the enlarged box with the white one which is a standard Lima front. I think the bigger headcode box improved the look. I noticed tonight that the Dapol 00 model 121 has a BRCW round top to its headcode box not a flat Pressed Steel one as it should have.  They got it right on their N gauge one but wrong on their 0 gauge one.

The white one will end up having a front like the 125 next to it.

100_5900a.jpg.e3b2db49a7d101ddc5598a52509fe8a4.jpg

Nice work there on your dmu"s Clive

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I found another 6 Brush 4s and they all ran nicely. I had a good look at the one that wasn't playing. It was a secondhand loco I purchased many moons ago. On Pig Lane and Hanging Hill all it had to do was go backwards and the other way slowly with no load behind it. Well it was good at that, it was running at line speed with a train it couldn't manage. To cut a boring long story I striped the motor bogie down to its components and gave them a good clean. The commutator and brushes were thick with a gunk akin to dirty engine oil. No wonder it would not go very fast or haul a train . Well I can report it is running at a scale 80 mph with six on the back and the controller about 2/3 open. More befitting its name "Thor".

I did think like the one it is modelled on it was going to be an early withdrawal. It is D1671 not D1677, no one ever noticed it was the loco that sadly was only in service for 9 months before being involved in the fatal crash with D6983  on 17th December 1965. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Those cut and shut models make my eyes go funny.

Were you employed by BR at Euston/Bletchley around 1980 by any chance?

gallery_6971_807_15415.jpg

Hi East West

Apart from the blue-grey door that is quite an interesting photo. Comparing how low the passengers seem to be seated and how high model passengers seem in our toy carriages when fitted has me thinking about passengers when/if I fit them to my coaches. The other thing that caught my eye was most the door lights are down and the sliding vents wide open, it must be summer. How many layouts have trees and bushes in full leaf but all the coaches have their windows firmly shut as if it is the middle of winter?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a rotten cold at the moment. I have heard that Vitim C is good for colds so for lunch I had one of Paddington Bear's favorite sandwiches, a marmalade sandwich. Did you know you cannot buy a marmalade sandwich in the buffet at Paddington station.  I didn't dare ask for chocolate and cream, the lady didn't seem best pleased with me asking for Paddington Bear sandwich.

We haven't had a tune for some time so here is an oldie.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

a marmalade sandwich.

Good taste.  I like marmalade sandwiches too.

Sorry to hear about the cold, there are nasty ones circulating this year.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have realised that I am posting all my modelling on here not Rough Engineering Made Easy or DMU Conversions for Sheffield Exchange. As I have basically stopped using those two threads I will concentrate my butchering of RTR stock and deforming plastic card efforts on here. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have realised that I am posting all my modelling on here not Rough Engineering Made Easy or DMU Conversions for Sheffield Exchange. As I have basically stopped using those two threads I will concentrate my butchering of RTR stock and deforming plastic card efforts on here. 

Good news mate.:yahoo::good::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1