Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Thanks to Clive iv been busy depleting the supply of Hornby shorties today...

Looking through this lot is making me want to backdate the layout a bit for more coaching stock, must resist and get the mk1s and 2ds done!

Top work Clive, at least maroon is an easier paint job than blue and grey for these.

Cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2022 at 18:32, Clive Mortimore said:

A song for today. Listening to all sorts as I start to modify the chassis of the non-gangway articulated twins.

That's well strung Clive. She is Playing with her Barred G String there as well.

P. Lectrum

• Agree 1

Hi Clive,

a hurdy gurdy is a rare beast indeed!  The only time I think I've ever heard one is on this, and his version of Hurdy Gurdy Man, the Donovan song, on his album "L", although I haven't actually searched for music with them.  Perhaps I should do!  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In the late 50s as BR started to take delivery of the new DMUs many non-gangway coaches were withdrawn. The LMR was a little bit too quick and found it needed transfer some non-gangway coaches across the region to fill in the gaps. They chose many that were operating on ex L&YR lines now under the control of the NER. The NER was still waiting for their DMUs to take over on the Sheffield to Leeds and Bradford stopping services and the withdrawal of the LMR coaches meant they had to make up some scratch sets from other parts of the former LNER system. Here is the first of three of the trains.

All these coaches except one are made up of the remains of all the recent builds of gangway stock. Many are on works bogies until I order some more Gresley bogies. Three coaches have BR roofs which when all details are removed look alright to me.

236021393_BS5S.jpg.ed030cd1a7572ccace864971728898f5.jpg

A brake second (5 compartments) and second twin

CL.jpg.1f9cf8ebf605d27a7dc6508e3bb7b656.jpg

A composite lavatory

C.jpg.33d3e0a800fd87e466b2aa55e4b0ee0a.jpg

A composite

BS4.jpg.71d943570577ac71c7db754f5f81fb9b.jpg

A brake second with 4 compartments, I didn't have enough brake end bits so I filled in windows, the beeding still needs to be added.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
Got the wrong coaches.
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

Train two

134702931_BS5early.jpg.84696164d515d304444161d157387a6b.jpg

A brake second with 5 compartments, this is an earlier diagram with the guards door near the compartments not towards the end of the coach. It has a un modified BR coach roof (Mainline).

2031047711_FS.jpg.3fceb3e9ec787342ed00d28881e716ed.jpg

A first and second twin

S.jpg.3c79b3dd830eab5d2376a066fbb8654e.jpg

A second with a poorly fitting roof.

2146537221_steelBS4.jpg.5146e1a61e4c4f79402eb9e1dc0d6365.jpg

A steel bodied brake second with 4 compartments, not a cut and shut.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Train three,

BS3.jpg.13875b7a62e8df71d03136da0c0048de.jpg

A brake second with 3 compartments

1470309555_SS.jpg.00af4c5a4bf650fb8fc8951112f8eb8f.jpg

A second plus second twin, roofs from the odd bits from the gangway coaches

F.jpg.28a6f5af5216a9fe896a3393f80d613a.jpg

A first class coach

1812557957_BS6CLC.jpg.af554c3e00f8a158cb23172557b6e621.jpg

A six compartment brake second. This started life as an LNER coach but was transferred to the CLC before the war. I have already made a six compartment brake second, this design had no window in the guards door. After nationalisation it was renumbered in the LMS series. How it has ended up on a Sheffield Exchange to Leeds Central stopping service is unknown but the NER are not going to tell the LMR who want to withdraw it.

I am quite pleased how these have turned out, 3 5 coach trains with no repeats of types. All made from left overs, not planned when I ordered the coaches.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Am I behind with the times?

Why do all new models after being announced "Break Cover" when the engineering prototype appears?

Have they been hiding in the weeds down the bottom of the garden and spotted making a run across the lawn to behind the potting shed?

Yours

Mr Clueless in the Middle of Nowhere Lincolnshire.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Am I behind with the times?

Why do all new models after being announced "Break Cover" when the engineering prototype appears?

Have they been hiding in the weeds down the bottom of the garden and spotted making a run across the lawn to behind the potting shed?

Yours

Mr Clueless in the Middle of Nowhere Lincolnshire.

Correct you are behind the times, you have your face so deep in rebuilding every 1970s Hornby coach into something more scale and prototype appropriate that you've missed the change.

People (like me) who buy RTR exist in a world where things have to be here now the manufacturers have realised that if they announce things as they think of them then the model railway forums like this here one become polluted with froth, speculation, complaints and general grievance about how long said model is taking to be produced and that they now 'hate' said manufacturer for the delays.  It also allows them to cancel or postpone any of these models before they reach EP and no-one knows.

So now we find out about a model and at the same time see something based on the actual model to be produced, we still get the froth and there may still be an 18 month wait, but there is less chance we'll all be dead before it actually arrives in our homes.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Correct you are behind the times, you have your face so deep in rebuilding every 1970s Hornby coach into something more scale and prototype appropriate that you've missed the change.

People (like me) who buy RTR exist in a world where things have to be here now the manufacturers have realised that if they announce things as they think of them then the model railway forums like this here one become polluted with froth, speculation, complaints and general grievance about how long said model is taking to be produced and that they now 'hate' said manufacturer for the delays.  It also allows them to cancel or postpone any of these models before they reach EP and no-one knows.

So now we find out about a model and at the same time see something based on the actual model to be produced, we still get the froth and there may still be an 18 month wait, but there is less chance we'll all be dead before it actually arrives in our homes.

Could also be a cunning plan to maximise free publicity for the model concerned!

The pricing strategy now seems to be to load up the initial price offer, on the basis that folk are so hyper they'll pay up, then accept retailers will eventually have discount what's left a bit, hopefully not too much, to clear stock. Miserable people like me just wait for stuff to appear cheap on ebay. I suspect some shops have ebay accounts that are apparently unrelated, to help in this process without upsetting customers who've paid full price too much.

Whatever makes you happy...!

John.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

But still have they be hiding in the weeds at the bottom of the garden before they "break cover"?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

But still have they be hiding in the weeds at the bottom of the garden before they "break cover"?

The journo pretentions I imagine, 'Here is an EP of X'  does not deliver the punch of "Bold new Dachuscarnby Deltic Silver Link IEP breaks cover"

• Like 1
  • Agree 2