Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I can wind Clive up!

Either he has been painting his Cut and Shuts projects or all the Rolling Stock observed in the recent set of photos is all RTR?

Hat, Coat, Gone!!!!

Paul

18 minutes ago, great northern said:

Can't be the former, as there are no flying pigs to be seen.

Gilbert is correct about the flying pigs.

And I have to admit so is Paul about the stock.

It does look good when operating stock that is all the correct colours if not the correct timeline. The B17 would have been converted to Ford Cortinas by the time the two tone class 25 was made.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Back Packs 😡

Personal hygine 😤

Car park  😖

Entrance fee 😮

Wrong layouts 🙁

Wrong traders 😢

Expensive food 🍔🥪🍰

Soon to be Warley  🚂

A number of years since I went, and vowed never again.

Everything you list, you might have added "expensive" to "car park", also "very crowded".

John.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Back Packs 😡

Personal hygine 😤

Car park  😖

Entrance fee 😮

Wrong layouts 🙁

Wrong traders 😢

Expensive food 🍔🥪🍰

Soon to be Warley  🚂

That's what I like about you comrade, your unending optimism 👍

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The time period has drifted a bit since I started the project, it now extends from 1958ish to 1968ish which means I can run some of my older classes of steam locos with slightly older coaches in an all steam mode, going through a mixed steam and diesel still with mainline trains to an almost all DMU local service just before closure of the station.

Clive sometimes realistically models the period after closure by putting all his stock "off-stage" in the Doncaster and Manchester sidings, then not operating the layout for a fortnight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Clive sometimes realistically models the period after closure by putting all his stock "off-stage" in the Doncaster and Manchester sidings, then not operating the layout for a fortnight.

And on odd occasions take a photo of newly acquired stuff. 

Planet.jpg.5abc45c484e399070caa95c41181e40a.jpg

Planet arrived here on the ranch as part of a lot I won at Vectis Auctions. It was the only model in a box, but had no chassis or tender wheels. I found a chassis on e-bay but that had no bogie. So I ordered a bogie and a set of tender wheels from Bachmann. The bogie and wheels arrived about a week before the chassis. When the chassis arrived could I find the little box from Bachmann. I did in the end. I had fun and games with the bogie, at first the pivot thingy supplied derailed the loco on the points as it was hanging too low, so I modified it only for it to very slightly, no more than a gnats leg, lift four of the six driving wheels off the track. I discovered this when I introduced it to a train and it did an impression of a Bulleid Pacific leaving Waterloo 7 million revs to move one inch. So the pivot thingy was replaced with a small bolt and nut. The tender wheels came on axles that were too long, so I got out my box of "That will be useful one day" as I knew I had some pin point axles in it. While swapping the wheels over I noticed in said "That will be useful one day" box a set of tender wheels already on pin point axles. Had I remembered the tender wheels and known the Bachy pivot thingy was going to be a problem I would have ordered only bogie without the pivot and saved me self some pounds.

I haven't photographed the other locos in the lot, a V2 single chimney without outside steam pipes and a flat sided tender, a Bachmann class 40 and a Hornby Doublo class 20. All I wanted was the green LNER flat sided tender to put behind my V2 with double chimney and outside steam pipes as I was informed by Gilbert (Great Northern) and Steve (30A) that it had the wrong tender. They were both kind enough to tell me which V2s with single chimney without outside steam pipes had flared tenders. Both V2s now need to be renumbered. 

I also slipped up and bought an A3 pacific, double chimney, GNR tender and German blinkers.  It is named Manna but I am going to call it by its new nickname, Terry after our colleague who makes those wonderful LNER locos out of bits and bobs. 

Oh another one I haven't told you about was a tender drive LMS Princess Coronation (Duchess) class loco in BR's version of Midland Railway Crimson lake livery. Another win at Vectis, 2 parcels coaches, 7 BR mk1s (Tri-ang in green), 1 Tri-ang Caly coach (in green) and 15 Hornby old LMS coaches. Well I was pleased with the coach haul as they worked out under £8 each and are ready to cut  about. I had totally forgot about the loco until I opened the box, so a free Duchess, to run on the odd rail tour was a surprise.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to say that the A3 was part of the Hammond collection and  had only been taken out the box to be photographed. Within 10 minutes of the postie giving me the parcel its never run mint condition was made null and void, as it whizzed around the layout. 🥴😄😮🤣🚂

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Forgot to say that the A3 was part of the Hammond collection and  had only been taken out the box to be photographed. Within 10 minutes of the postie giving me the parcel its never run mint condition was made null and void, as it whizzed around the layout. 🥴😄😮🤣🚂

Sometimes ‘you gotta do what you just gotta do’!

Paul.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Okey Dokey new arrivals at the ex LNER shed,

60907.jpg.255e5f6032bf8916768259bcd2d333a2.jpg

To be renumbered 60907 now it has the flared tender that was being incorrectly towed by the double chimney V2.

60862.jpg.f3039bf969f44c09c15fffdfe25415bc.jpg

The double chimney V2 which now has the correct tender but still has the wrong number, it is to become 60862.

558385912_sidebyside.jpg.6e11c4b797f1b9e90ea6d901ce816a6f.jpg

Side by side.

528180624_tenderbehind.jpg.42a4600c9c7dd61d4db1afdd73b04253.jpg

The tenders, 60862's might need the rear coal retaining plate moved forward as this was a modification done to most LNER standard tenders in BR days. Shouldn't be too hard to do if I replace the coal with real coal.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

20.jpg.353ba5ec0f8ffb1c3dd0075ed245e519.jpg

The Doublo class 20, with more things wrong with it than a Lima one but looks more like a type one than the Lima model. It is a Doublo one not a Wrenn one.

nots.jpg.8e13d310ac4d521efd2088bddc3835a8.jpg

Not a loco I intended to have but a worthy freebie, the City of Nots.

Here is a song by Nots

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

manna.jpg.6b0d9d3769b5d74043ee6ea33788e27d.jpg

Manna and the new Type 4. The Type 4 needs renumbering as I think I already have two with the same number.

I always liked A3s with double chimney, German blinkers and the older GNR type tender, the combination appeals to me.

In my humble opinion they were the best looking of all the A3s.     The GN tender gave them a touch of class and 'something a bit different' while the Witte pattern smoke deflectors really suited the overall shape of the A3 and i reckon added to their appearance rather than detracting from it

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

On a certain thread the Bachmann V2s are usually slated and the old chassis even more so, but I think they look lovely.  I have two; 60964 like yours and one in BRITISH RAILWAYS black that I bought unwanted as part of an eBay job lot but can't bear to part with it.

• Like 1

Too many trains of late so here is a video, this jolly nice chap has a new video out.

His style (to me) has elements of Bowie, Floyd, Radiohead and he seems a very down to earth person (as is his partner Emily).

When he is not doing his music he can be found sailing the canals of northern Britain

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

So glad you've invited (bought) me for your layout, the real me would only get a couple of circuits before I'd be out of Puff, the A3 should carry on for many hours. Congratulations of a discerning buy, you have great taste.........................LOL

My Manna, below, wartime black.

manna

Manna 61.JPG

Edited by manna
Added content.
  • Like 9