Bachmann 39-001 Works Test Train

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Looks like Bachmann might have finally got the limit of the yellow first class line right on the CK on the side we can see, at least for the BR B/G era. Let's hope so and that the ordinary CK expected later this year is correct too.

• RMweb Gold

Saw them at the GCR modelling event and thought they looked superb, the weathering of the roofs especially effective

Thought they would not look out of place on a model of a preserved railway judging by state of some knackered old Mk1 that are about

• RMweb Gold

i see one of the coaches has the removable stretcher window. have they gone the extra mile with the detail or does the standard model also have that window????

Hi, ThaneofFife. The CK stretcher window is indeed a standard feature. I have just photographed a maroon example(my weathering and curtains).

Here is the photo'post-22631-0-49408600-1404423052.jpg. I hope that this helps.

All the best,

Market65.

Saw them at the GCR modelling event and thought they looked superb, the weathering of the roofs especially effective

Thought they would not look out of place on a model of a preserved railway judging by state of some knackered old Mk1 that are about

It really is a top standard of weathering. I'd say its a little more extreme than any Mk1s I have seen running on a preserved line, but I've seen a lot worse in storage! Its great to finally seen carriage weathering done this way. I'm not interested in these two carriages but I will certainly take inspiration from the effect on the roofs.

Hi. I see we have to weather the wheels! I have one on order anyway!

All the best,

Market65.

wheels are half weathered, but it seems where they were hidden by the bogie frames during the painting they are still metal. I presume when they weather locos they are running on a rolling road, which you can't do with a coach. In an ideal world the wheels would have been weathered seperately.

Still very impressive models, especially the roof. Not for me, as there are very few blue/grey ex-service coaches on preserved railways any more.

• RMweb Gold

Hi. They have arrived in thundery Beverley! The two Mk1 test train coaches are indeed superb. The wheels I mentioned about are indeed partially weathered, in that it is mainly the treads that have received the bulk of the coating. Anyway, I have taken two photo's of them on my layout.post-22631-0-47704800-1404823113.jpg.post-22631-0-90329700-1404823145.jpg.

First one is the SK, and the next is of the CK.

All the best,

Market65.

I believe that these were used by any loco leaving the works before they were returned to traffic, so anything could haul them.

The down side, they ran as a complete rake- so you'd need more than just two and with their weathering, (for me at least) they would look odd in a full length formation.

I do like them none the less and I do like my departmental stock, so I may buy them to run with other ADB numbered vehicles.

If all else fails apply Rule #1!

So I would need more than one pack? or different carriages altogether? Maybe Bachmann will be releasing others to complete? Do you know what was in a full rake? 

I was thinking though of just these two with my Class31. 

I believe that the works test trains were made up of whatever coaches that were retired from capital stock, and handed over for departmental duties, therefore as long as the train has a brake vehicle you should be able to form the rake as you see fit. (Remember, Rule#1 applies.)

Doubtless someone else on this site with superior knowledge to myself will be able to give you a more accurate run down of the formations of the rakes used.

I have the 'spotters' books for departmental stock upstairs, which may list them- but I'm not up to going through the whole book to find out!

I also remember seeing a picture of a works test train using very shabby maroon mk1s long into the era of blue/grey.

It was a great picture, but regrettably I can't remember for the life of me if the image was on this site, elsewhere on the web, or one of my books- If I find it I'll post it.

When I first saw these coaches I thought the title was wrong as to me they are too clean,they look like the vac/steam heat only rake of MK1's that use to be used on "The Bangor" (Man Vic to Bangor) before it went dual heat and duel braked in the early 80's.

The Crewe works Test Train was that dirty you would n't know what was under the muck coach wise.

If I were to buy these I would have to stick a class 40 on the front and re number them back to normal coaching stock. lol

Very nice coaches mind....

Found a few pictures on Flickr of the Doncaster Works test train with Mk1's, no close ups unfortunately. Did manage to look at these earlier in Hattons and thought Bachmann have done a good job.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28178727@N08/8389584469/in/photolist-dMmPb6-hukNp2-ebF3w3-mfBx9y-hSpqbC-j79TrA-hewKrX-emQk7y-7NpzEQ-9LkQY1-emQjwC-bUGVWv-dQ4QvG-9uJvm6-avKs7u-nfTbHi-hmZyY7-ebvomx-aFb3at-gQhuYr-emQmfQ-eDSqio-dpdQCB

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23987565@N05/8171607304/in/photolist-ds6Ca7-nvi2ja-hewKrX-emQk7y-9ye7hG-7NpzEQ-9LkQY1-kbzYry-mUb8ay-nK3ivb-bvry1m-eWGGEt-jzJvaa-emQjwC-frvf9d-bUGVWv-e3ngQE-dQ4QvG-9uJvm6-nc9UUu-nb3pq5-bYzS7L-a3Eyyb-akDC9V-df2xML-jKCyfd-avKs7u-nfTbHi-9PkMzz-9tUiSH-b24pfB-bWCoYG-a3EnDL-hmZyY7-ebvomx-aFb3at-gQhuYr-emQmfQ-eDSqio-mU4swx-dpdQCB-hBD2Wh-dbXDw3-jzskzo-bD2czb-8QrBw3-9bQgyY-o132Eg-bwZMuB-kCeqfz-kJDKBA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87413031@N03/8238077507/in/photolist-dxYir6-f1sRgu-m4oPG4-imGjcw-mj2mLp-dwtWcM-jzurTm-dcrtNK-cXkiK7-eKvG4w-7BJgZN-dzf7Zx-a3EAy3-83Fhe1-kJCf5c-aWqc1D-nhv9FY-dWGLbn-jByfGx-eYVjsE-eWTzfG-cc5r3L-aemAh9-goEESp-epDCiP-eWTASm-dy5fgY-jAkpmD-f76dxZ-obYcrc-eWTCQq-gn1sJQ-n97agb-hW7Qy5-aZQsFn-iprZSU-ec4MjS-ncFNCF-o8WbrS-bszyPm-fuNTq4-e3BfPL-eDWhca-8bzRtA-nYDYG2-hBCwGh-nYnhwy-naCA5F-nWSBCM-9YHfCn-nqnni2

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9383296317/in/photolist-fiaR5Z-nzKKHF-dTs7rY-bYD6Hw-hjDBVG-cuyX4S-dHUfHh-dFcs9L-bDqPNC-dCtBsw-dJZj7J-n6k4UR-fAPBVx-8oXofj-fQ9fNN-ag7Mgm-a3qrT4-cApD9d-iquizj-aUcVFc-eoucDW-bgJpXD-bgJoT6-8D74dt-bWbfyg-gf4aaB-eoT4aN-nH9k7R-nV1fpV-ockUxE-gf3gSh-gf3MW6-nbuq3D-naCfPh-e1fohA-ocuGez-nV1ffg-dFGM7U-nYCVoS-gjfcFJ-c6PcLb-j4j36E-f98mdM-dALY1J-j4ijcD-c9LStm-f98m1z-ejYMZU-hj4TGZ-8wrYvT-bEDBxk

Cheers

Simon

Hi all,

Received mine today - bit of a new experience for me as essentially I am an 'n gauge' man - apart from my 2 Kernow Dapol OO westerns - hence the purchase.

Bit disappointed with the couplers - seem very old style - got a 'bag o bits' in with them but nothing like I'm used to with n gauge NEM coupling options.

Maybe I'm missing something here? 

Thanks

colbard

I remember seeing Doncaster test trains at Gateshead in the early 1980s; whenever possible, they'd route them over the High Level and King Edward bridges, to save running round. By then, most, if not all, of the coaches being used had their windows covered with sheets of plywood.

Archived