News from Chivers Finelines

finelines

Need I say more?

yes you must say more - confirmation of scale - 4mm?

Forgive my lack of knowledge but what type of wagon are they and when were they introduced?

ZCA - Sea Urchin, this one is ex-VDA van converted c1993 for spoil/ballast, of over 1000 ZCA's, there are 414 ex-VDA and various other exOBA/OCA/VBA/SPA conversions. There are two body types on the ex-VDA's and at least 50% are of the type Roger has chosen. Mostly withdrawn since the yellow JNA's have taken over their traffic, but a few survive.

The Sea Urchin variations are a DEMU forum pet-project.

Good choice Roger!

Jon

Could be *forced* into one or three at a push smile.gif

How many would have had leaf springs still out the 450 Jon?

From a quick browse of photo's I might be rash enough to offer the suggestion 'all of them', although I'm quite prepared to be proved wrong!

Roger - are you doing both types of handbrake lever? How about alternate end castings to do the other type with more promenent ribs?

Are the side ribs solid, or I section?

How much? and when?

Jon

cross kitting possibilities maybe???

Well they are based on the VDA chassis, but I can't see that being much of a go-er, not with the Bachmann VDA available. There are OTA (timber) and RRA(runners) that just used the chassis, and at that point I run out of idea's.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Well they are based on the VDA chassis, but I can't see that being much of a go-er, not with the Bachmann VDA available. There are OTA (timber) and RRA(runners) that just used the chassis, and at that point I run out of idea's.

Jon

I was thinking more of slipping the finelines chassis under a van.

Guest Max Stafford

And good luck to you and dad! Looks like Hornby's loss is your gain. But tell your old man not to let these distract him from the BZ! ;)

Dave.

Roger,

Looks great and look forward to getting my hands on a few. I very recently built three of your kits for the first time (Lampreys and Crab) and can I just say that I thought these were SUPERB kits. The bits all fitted together very well and the level of additional brass etches etc put these kits in a league above many others I have built - a bargain considering the very reasonable price.

Regarding the new release - any chance of releasing the chassis as separate kits on their own for modellers looking to do something with their collection of Hornby VDAs...

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Couple of points.

I have decided to include ony the short brake lever. I have started to describe thes wagons as death by angle grinder because no two look alike!

The chassis will be no use for the VDA because I have tailored the webs to match the ribs on the Sea Urchin.

Roger

• RMweb Premium

I got told off by my son, Matthew, he said ???need I say more??? was a bit short on detail.

Well, to start with it has been my turn to be ill. I have been able to do very little except the essential of life and I have been using time making dies.

The bulk of the Sea Urchin is cut apart from the brake levers. Its reference number is RC480 and weather permitting I am hoping it will be ready in late March. The price will be ??8.

I have now turned my attention to the Thompson 6w Brake, which will be RC490 at ??10.

Roger

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been following the SPA thread and it takes me back to this model. With hindsight I realise I was on the way down before I effectively pulled the plug. In 2012 I started another thread about whether I should restart the project and having just reread it I can tell you I am much better mentally than I was even then, but my hands still shake when I think about it.

When I stopped there were 3 projects in the pipeline, this one, the LNER 6 wheel Thompson brake and the DS 88 Loco body.

This one stopped for more than one reason. The last straw was Jon Hall's remark about the T section strapping being solid, but I was also concerned about the wheelbase length without swivelling w irons. It was very frustrating because I would put it in my top 5 kits. The LNER brake stopped because I made a mistake on the roof that nearly destroyed my engraver. The diesel never got beyond early sketches and I'm very grateful to all those who supplied information. I was expecting to find the cab interior a simple counter with a couple of handles, but it's weird and doesn't lend itself to injection moulding.

I find the fear of criticism works two ways for me. Firstly it makes me go over and over what I'm doing to make sure I've probably got it right. But secondly it can tip me clean over the edge.

Roger

Hey your MDV is inspired, carry on regardless and ignore (it's very, very, hard too, I know, I empathise with your inner feelings completely) those few nitwits (potential or otherwise) on this forum who feel it is their solemn duty to pick holes in everything................

• RMweb Gold

Roger,

I have one of your n gauge LNER extra long CCTs. It was a joy to build, and looks excellent behind my heavily modded Union Mills J11. I am kicking myself that I didn't buy more when they were freely available from the shop in Preston and anything else that you produce in similar vein will find a ready market with me. I am very pleased that you are feeling somewhat better and a big thank you to you and your son for your superb work.

Alastair M. 

• RMweb Gold

I have been following the SPA thread and it takes me back to this model. With hindsight I realise I was on the way down before I effectively pulled the plug. In 2012 I started another thread about whether I should restart the project and having just reread it I can tell you I am much better mentally than I was even then, but my hands still shake when I think about it.

When I stopped there were 3 projects in the pipeline, this one, the LNER 6 wheel Thompson brake and the DS 88 Loco body.

This one stopped for more than one reason. The last straw was Jon Hall's remark about the T section strapping being solid, but I was also concerned about the wheelbase length without swivelling w irons. It was very frustrating because I would put it in my top 5 kits. The LNER brake stopped because I made a mistake on the roof that nearly destroyed my engraver. The diesel never got beyond early sketches and I'm very grateful to all those who supplied information. I was expecting to find the cab interior a simple counter with a couple of handles, but it's weird and doesn't lend itself to injection moulding.

I find the fear of criticism works two ways for me. Firstly it makes me go over and over what I'm doing to make sure I've probably got it right. But secondly it can tip me clean over the edge.

Roger

Nice to see a new product - this one's a bit too up to date for this old luddite but I'm very glad to see you are back in the saddle.

I have built a number of your other kits and they are very much in the first division when it comes to going together well.

Have you any intention of reviving the BZ project? Your reply could save two innocent Bachmann bodyshells from a gory encounter with a razor saw!

John

Edit. Sorry, I scrolled right past Post 18. Will look forward to building a couple when they arrive. 

• RMweb Premium

As of this moment I have nothing in the pipeline. I would like to finish these 2 but I used the shorthand "that my hands are still shaking too much" and I think that describes the situation. I have not been doing nothing in the last five years, there are as many as 10 part worked on projects on the hard drive including some relatively simple and I think it might be one of these I would choose.

I do get frustrated, when I'm working, if I ask for advice about a prototype it sets the froth going and initially that was fun but in the end it just wound up the pressure. I can't understand why manufacturers put themselves under this pressure by announcing things so far in advance and publishing cad drawings to be criticised. I see it as my job to make it as accurate as I can. You can see from the picture of the Sea Urchin that there was one die left to to do, the brake levers, and had that been started the kit would almost certainly have been finished, but I was so excited about producing such a knobbly little brute I wanted to show everybody.

Roger

hopefully youll find peace in that plenty of us were more than delighted with your contribution to the hobby, your kits will always have a place with me.

You can always tell those hole pickers if they want perfection they could always go to one of the big suppliers,  :O  :P

Archived