British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

Looking at Tim Horns Flickr site he's started on testing some straight boards to the RM Modular spec

Hopefully these will be on test in the not too distant future at this end with full notes to be fed back to the group. :)

• Like 6

+

What's the idea putting a Copyright on these specs?

How about making them Open Source.

Surely the only thing initially to agree is the end section

and the unit used for multiple lengths,

There are a whole lot more for wiring to be gathered as

the spec develops

Edited by Dazzler Fan

• RMweb Premium

Or Filton, where there was an aircraft level crossing...   ;)

I forgot about Filton, where  My proud boast is I overtook (as a passenger) Concorde, in a Chipmonk!

Concorde was taxiing down for engine tests, we were fly straight and level flat out down the side of the runway.

• Like 3

There was also a road crossing with traffic lights on the Filton Runway.
- crossed it many times.

Before Concorde was the Vulcan XA903 testbed converted for the Olympus

slung underneath

- one Sunday afternoon we were all stopped on the A38 while it landed.

Edited by Dazzler Fan
  • Like 1

+

What's the idea putting a Copyright on these specs?

How about making them Open Source.

Surely the only thing initially to agree is the end section

and the unit used for multiple lengths,

There are a whole lot more for wiring to be gathered as

the spec develops

Am I missing something? Where's the copyright? Tim Horn might have design rights on his baseboards and copyright on his photos, but there's nothing to stop you building a 4' x18" board yourself. And the Standards aren't copyright. And there doesn't even need to be a standard length. What else might be needed for wiring?

Edited by Talltim

Just to clear up, I put 'copyright' on my photos in a feeble attempt to stop people using them without permission as has happened in the past, but I'm the first one to realise that once they are on the net, you can't do a lot about it :)

The specs and design of the boards aren't protected in anyway, not possible unless you get a patent but that's well over the top to be honest, and the idea about the modular system is that anyone can do it by any means.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by Tim Horn
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed in passing that the Southampton show this weekend will have a European modular layout based on FFMF specs (which seem to be a French spec) it might be worth those who are interested going along to have a look at what they like (and dislike) about that setup, it might inform your choices.

http://solentmodelrailwaygroup.webs.com/modelrailwayexhibition.htm

Jon

Noticed in passing that the Southampton show this weekend will have a European modular layout based on FFMF specs (which seem to be a French spec) it might be worth those who are interested going along to have a look at what they like (and dislike) about that setup, it might inform your choices.

http://solentmodelrailwaygroup.webs.com/modelrailwayexhibition.htm

Jon

Which rather demonstrated why douible track modules should be banned - the same trains running round without any 'operation'

J

• RMweb Gold

Which rather demonstrated why douible track modules should be banned - the same trains running round without any 'operation'

J

Did you mean to quote this from the Eurotrack thread Jon?

The big modular had some good scenic sections but it's basically just a massive dog bone loop so wasn't really my thing as the lack of operation just focuses your attention on the lack of transition and random selection of trains. ;)

I don't think double track is a problem if it's used A-B as Up & Down lines rather than as a loop. Forcing people to run round and run to specific places using a schedule creates operation.

• RMweb Gold

As I said ' not really my thing' that's all ;)

I prefer the operation side to add something different to the home layout. Both work but I'd only want to travel a distance for an operation based meeting ;)

Working a train on a layout big enough to go somewhere is the advantage of a modular set up for me.

One of the good things about "modular" to me is that the same boards can give a variety of different formats of use - and it's up to the meet organiser to decide whether it's an "operations" based meeting, a "just run trains" meeting or whatever else type of meeting, and each will be of interest to some.

I'd happily go along to a "just play trains" type meeting, with the purpose of model photography/videoing or even just a social thing so I don't have too much to think about, just as much as an "operations" meet. 

I can see the "just play trains" type meets as being great for first outings of someone's boards, even incomplete ones, where it's not so much of a big deal if something doesn't work quite as intended.

When operating a regular fairly passenger service prototypically, it  typically  involves identical appearing trains travelling both directions on double track at frequent short intervals.

It's often a lot easier to do that if there is a way to use the typically far fewer few model trains available, in repeated passes through the same scene in the same direction.

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm steadily getting on with my layout and there'll be an adaptor board to fit the modular standard.

I think once a few builds start appearing more will jump on board. I really ought to start a modular thread for the adaptor with a link to the main layout thread.

As much as I'd love to, I won't be able to afford it at such short notice - I can choose between a 12 hour, 687 mile each way drive or 12 hour 2 change train trip costing £360.

Plus my boards wouldn't be compatible with yours :)

Photos would however be appreciated.

Edited by cromptonnut

If you have intermediate stations, even with double track then surely stopping at different stations constitutes "operation"? 

If you have a double track (or double to single) junction then surely different trains going straight on or taking the junction constitutes "operation"?

If you have a double track fiddle yard to terminus operation, then at the terminus the loco runs round or goes off to coal/water/refuel whilst another loco shunts the carriages into another platform for departure constitutes "operation"?

Yes the sight of two trains passing at speed can be impressive - and I'm sure there will be times when that's all people do, but at the end of the day, so what?  Inbetween that will be the local all stations stoppers, pick-up freight trains shunting in the yard, simulated "breakdown" giving operational nightmares and the need to run a light loco to rescue the failed train whilst you try and shuffle trains around it using one platform, etc etc, all those can constitute "operation" just as much as the class 1 express with 12 on thundering through the intermediate stations non-stop.

The exact same trains with the exact same configuration of modules can easily be used for multiple types of operation, and as long as those attending the meet have agreed on the "style of operation" in advance, get together and enjoy the day isn't that really the key to it all?

Edited by cromptonnut