British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Here's another one, double track with a single track junction off, one 4ft x 18" board and one 2ft x 31" board cut with 45 degrees along 18" for the "joining" end and about 40 degrees to make it neat. The radius of the curve is about 45 inches and medium points are used.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

That's very close to what I need, so very useful. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

If you didn't want the crossover, you could make it a 3ft x 31" board and possibly just have the triangular bit separately instead of doing it like I've done.

I will need the crossover for my simplified version of Appledore. But it might well go on the next board so as to have 4 x 3ft boards. That said, I am thinking of expanding to 14' or 15' following further research (now I am back home and been able to consult "Historical Surveys....").

• Like 1

Here's another one, double track with a single track junction off, one 4ft x 18" board and one 2ft x 31" board cut with 45 degrees along 18" for the "joining" end and about 40 degrees to make it neat. The radius of the curve is about 45 inches and medium points are used.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.jpg

there's a mirror image of Wymondham starting there.....operationally that could be interesting in a modular format with freight maneuvers to get onto the branch.

I do like seeing these diagrams they get the creative mind working even if it is just to see how potentially any of my boards could fit in. Keep them coming. :imsohappy:

In fact BRM could produce a booklet on them with the magazine... now there's an idea, nudge ...nudge... BRM.....

I've simply drawn straight sides because it's easier to do that in XTrackCAD which I use.  There's no reason you couldn't introduce gentle curves into your sides - as Kenton says, as long as the end pieces meet the standards, what you do inbetween is mostly irrelevant, including framing :)

• RMweb Gold

Have another freebie, a double track 30 degree curved board with a 30 degree the other way single track coming off.

attachicon.gifUntitled-2.jpg

Have another freebie, a double track 30 degree curved board with a 30 degree the other way single track coming off.

attachicon.gifUntitled-2.jpg

That is my alternative strategy for Appledore. Less like the prototype of course but then I am planning to take plenty of liberties with that anyway.

Is that a Peco large radius Y? And what are the curve radii?

• RMweb Gold

That simply presents you with a wood-working problem The shape simply does not matter as long as it connects to the adjacent modules.

Agreed. And I am lucky enough to have the necessary tools to do it.

But, so far as possible, it would be good to make module baseboards as easy as possible so as not to discourage anyone.

That is my alternative strategy for Appledore. Less like the prototype of course but then I am planning to take plenty of liberties with that anyway.

Is that a Peco large radius Y? And what are the curve radii?

Yes, large Y point.

Single track is about 38" radius.

Double tracks are 45" and 47" (approx.) with a bit of twiddling around the inside of the Y point as obviously the Y is 36" radius and keeping it parallel would be below the minimum radius.

I usually aim for 2-3" of straight at each board end. 

Drawing them up in XTrackCAD means I know it will fit.  However I usually lay "by eye" as you can get much better and subtle curvature, and even transition curves, when you're working with a mk 1 eyeball.  It's just much harder on the computer, but I know that if half an inch here or there means it doesn't fit then there's a good chance it's probably too tight to the board dimensions.

I personally try and stick to "standard" 4ft boards where I can simply for efficiency in board cutting and transportation ease, but understand that many people are happy (and far more capable than I) to do odd shaped boards.

it would be good to make module baseboards as easy as possible so as not to discourage anyone.

The standards are, of course, simple and within reach of most people if you make straight 4ft x 18" boards.  No advanced skills or tools should be required beyond the basics that many of us already have and are using.

However, I am using "modular" to stretch my skills and abilities in small ways here and there, and there's no definition of something being "too advanced" for the standard so really it shouldn't be a 'discouragement' for anyone that someone else has done something far more complex than they - but something to aim towards?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, large Y point.

Single track is about 38" radius.

Double tracks are 45" and 47" (approx.) with a bit of twiddling around the inside of the Y point as obviously the Y is 36" radius and keeping it parallel would be below the minimum radius.

I usually aim for 2-3" of straight at each board end. 

Drawing them up in XTrackCAD means I know it will fit.  However I usually lay "by eye" as you can get much better and subtle curvature, and even transition curves, when you're working with a mk 1 eyeball.  It's just much harder on the computer, but I know that if half an inch here or there means it doesn't fit then there's a good chance it's probably too tight to the board dimensions.

I personally try and stick to "standard" 4ft boards where I can simply for efficiency in board cutting and transportation ease, but understand that many people are happy (and far more capable than I) to do odd shaped boards.

Er, no! A Peco large radius Y point is 6ft radius. But presumably the drawing is right if you have used the library on Xtracad

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

If you go in the Peco website to the points it lists the radii, go to the technical bureau for downloading PDFs of the points for full size planning :)

Can you give a link to where the actual radii of each type of turnout for OO/HO is listed, please - it would be very useful

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Can you give a link to where the actual radii of each type of turnout for OO/HO is listed, please - it would be very useful

Radii, angle and length listed on this page under each turnout

http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=3309,3322&CAT_ID=3327&numRecordPosition=1

Point plans here

http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=pointplans

I'm currently wondering how long a module would have to be to have a flyover junction. I guess you need 7cm rise which is 350cm at 1 in 50 then the corresponding fall back down so a total of 700cm - eek!

I guess you could halve it by having one track rise and the other fall but even that is 3.5m long! I was liking Dearness Valley Junction as per1966-67 as it'd make a good centrepiece to spur the other modules from. The outward tracks could probably be used as single or double.

I do like a challenge mind...

Agreed. And I am lucky enough to have the necessary tools to do it.

But, so far as possible, it would be good to make module baseboards as easy as possible so as not to discourage anyone.

The thing with the modular principle is that it should suit all levels of ability.

With the boards I'm currently working on I'm trying to show what I see as a basic entry route into modular world of a single or doubetrack on a (pre cut) board with no points just a track from end to end on a board, which however should be useful in the grand scheme of things.

So as long as were all working at different levels and styles then hopefully there is something for everyone. So don’t be afraid to show off your handywork it may give others inspiration. :friends:

I'm looking forward to the meet in June where hopefully it can be shown that boards of all abilities can come together to form an enjoyable days running :senile: .

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently wondering how long a module would have to be to have a flyover junction. I guess you need 7cm rise which is 350cm at 1 in 50 then the corresponding fall back down so a total of 700cm - eek!

I guess you could halve it by having one track rise and the other fall but even that is 3.5m long! I was liking Dearness Valley Junction as per1966-67 as it'd make a good centrepiece to spur the other modules from. The outward tracks could probably be used as single or double.

You could manage it in rather less than that by having the lower track dip beneath the flyover, effectively halving the amount each needs to vary from the datum. So probably about 4m along each axis.

And then you could make it so much more interesting with chords between the different routes although that could make for some rather bulky boards to transport.

But you are certainly right that it would make an interesting centrepoint for a modular layout.

• Like 1

You could always start a sub-BritmodOO group where people produce modules from one level to another at a defined gradient. So start with a module with the true spec at one end and the subterranean-Britmod-OO groups spec at the other. Keep connecting and you could end up at floor level :jester: before rising back up to rejoin. Edited by Kenton
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chislehurst Junction, anyone?

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/chislehurst_junction.htm

Although we probably won't have many four-track sections on the modular set-ups, Chislehurst is an interesting example with the link from Bickley to Orpington (down) being laid out in a way that does save space.