British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Operation to mee would be typical traffic for the line serving its real purpose so yes passenger trains stopping at stations but also freight going to and from various destinations. On a pre 1990's layout that means wagonload traffic at intermediate stations ;)

There would be long distance through freight too but why not add to the experience by having a purpose rather than just running round in circles or FY to FY. For me that's what the majority of show layouts do so I just want something a bit different at a modular meet where there's not such a high emphasis on entertaing public but the actual operator. That's not to say that a well worked ops session involving punters can't work at a show.

As I've said before as long as people state whether it's just a big run a train setup or an organised operation based meet that's good for whoever wants to do that side. Personally I'm interested in doing something I can't do at home, club or see at a show currently. The US meet we had in July ticked that box so that's what I'd spend money on attending at a distance where I'm paying for a hotel. If the just running trains meeting was local then yes I'd probably go ;)

I think there will be 'mixed eras' for a lot of module meets - certainly all of the stock I own is 1980's blue grey through to sectorisation so all my modules will be designed with that in mind, such as NSE colours and fittings on my station.

Certainly if a group of people decide that they want to start a "GWR modular group" and only run GWR stock on it, I see no reason they couldn't do that, but it would probably exclude me from participating as I have no suitable stock.  But if it was local some of my "generic boards" could certainly be used if required and I'd be happy to just watch the trains go by.  However I wouldn't drive 3 hours for it.

As long as the trains themselves are accurate (ie no class 66 pulling private owner wagons and an LBSCR brake van) I think a certain amount of "blind eye" would be entertained my many - and if they're real purists where everything has to be perfect down to the minutest detail then I don't think a modular setup would be of interest to them anyway.

• Like 1

Operation to mee would be typical traffic for the line serving its real purpose so yes passenger trains stopping at stations but also freight going to and from various destinations. On a pre 1990's layout that means wagonload traffic at intermediate stations ;)

There would be long distance through freight too but why not add to the experience by having a purpose rather than just running round in circles or FY to FY. For me that's what the majority of show layouts do so I just want something a bit different at a modular meet where there's not such a high emphasis on entertaing public but the actual operator. That's not to say that a well worked ops session involving punters can't work at a show.

As I've said before as long as people state whether it's just a big run a train setup or an organised operation based meet that's good for whoever wants to do that side. Personally I'm interested in doing something I can't do at home, club or see at a show currently. The US meet we had in July ticked that box so that's what I'd spend money on attending at a distance where I'm paying for a hotel. If the just running trains meeting was local then yes I'd probably go ;)

Where a modular meet is all about operations purely for the operators, then I fail to see that there is any intention to entertain the public, except by happy accident.

If you want to entertain a (presumably minority), operations savyy, public, then you should have handouts explaining the layout geography, supported industries, stations, routes and timetable, so that they can follow what's going on. (And be allowed close enough to view.)n Otherwise, it not be possible for an outside observer to tell the difference from "running trains".

But that will require a very well planned and organized meet.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It's also possible to show the fun of operation at a show too though so it might need to be worked a little more as it has to fit in the show. I've seen two freemo layouts at Warley show where I saw very little activity, far less than at the RMweb US meeting. Just something to consider ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite at the ballasting stage but to try and maintain some continuity between boards what colour ballast are people using.

I have some Woodland scenics medium grey blend (B94) is that OK?

post-12740-0-31834100-1413141227.jpg

Cheers 

Steve

The 'standards' didn't drill down that far into detail.  I think whatever you would choose to use as the real thing changes from time to time anyway - and if you weather the track with a dirt wash who will know what's under there?

I have a WS fine grey blend that I've been using but simply as I have that in stock.

As long as it's not fluorescent pink, it doesn't really matter IMHO.

Edited by cromptonnut

Regarding dcc decoder address numbers would they be allocated before a meet, on the day with programming track available or at the owners choice but advised to the meet organiser before hand to check for any conflicts and advise someone to change? I'm guessing 1 or 2 but Just looking to tidy up my locos this afternoon so if it were options 1 or 2 it wont really matter if it were 3 I'll try and pick something like 80-89 range which may not be as popular?

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Well we advised the planner in advance so people could reprogram if required. Weren't any problems and it would be easy to sort if someone has a programmer. I'd happily put mine in the car to be used if required. Another one for the organiser notes ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Unless someone brings along a depot or shed module of some type, I am guessing that there won't be that many locos in use on the layout at any given time - although it would of course be easy to reprogram any loco's address some may not be willing to do that.

In that case, it's just a case of making sure that loco X and loco Y aren't both on the layout simultaneously.

• RMweb Gold

At Armitage we had a loco table next to the designated loco spur where all locos entered the layout, so a mpd without actually having to model it.

One thing for the uk setup is there is bound to be a bigger variety of locos for steam era sessions so I'd suggest each person, if only bringing one, brings a mixed traffic loco like a T9 or 4F OR if you want to bring something specific , one suitable for passenger and one suitable for goods so you can pick up any job that needs doing ;)

Another thing to consider is that if you bring a large engine, like a Bullied Pacific, does it have a front coupling fixed? Bit of an issue if there's no turntable and all you have is a rear coupling!

Makes me think a couple of turntable modules would be useful :)

I suppose "turning Y" junctions aren't as common in the UK as they are in the US.

But it's a good idea that, in the absence of a turntable, to have a junction next to a station with a simple single board that "pretends" to be the depot where locos are added or removed.  One of the planners methinks :)

• RMweb Gold

Ok on the shed theme here's a turntable come shed board that could accommodate up to 8 locos. I've shown a T9 as an example length. With a mix of tanks and Pacifics or big 4-6-0's realistically there's room for around 5-6.

I've drawn it as a double track board so it could be used with either with the second track standing unused on a pure single line setup.

post-6968-0-25889300-1413411821.jpg

An interesting use of space there Paul - just one comment, your drawing shows boards at 20" width, the standards say 18".  I don't think that will affect your plan though?

Is there a prototype you're basing it on, I'm curious if such a zigzag approach from main to shed would be used like that?

• RMweb Gold

No I was just doodling and followed the US standard without checking! It doesn't affect the plan apart from knocking an inch off the top edge ;)

The zig zag approach is because I've missed out the rest of the depot that would continue to the right. There'd be the coaling and departure roads further to the right and the two tracks nearest the mainlines would be joined by points. It would also be unusual to have the only access to the shed as the T/T except as a roundhouse in a big shed. It was a compromise to give a flavour of a medium shed with some loco storage. I think you'd need at least 6ft to get a shed in otherwise.

To provide a second one it could be just a spur direct to the table protected by a trap point leaving this as the main shed in the area.

Of course if someone wanted to build a mpd you could model it as a full module like Fisherton Sarum but this provides a possible compact solution that would suit most set ups operationally.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Ok I've modified the width to the correct standard and top right and bottom you can see the doodles I based the wider idea on, the lower one is more common in style from my limited knowledge of a steam mpd.

post-6968-0-34789300-1413446511.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok a simpler local shed bit larger than Swanage but following the idea of the shed only being accessible off the table. As the standard doesn't limit how close the points can be to a board end this is possible even if reduced to 2x2ft. Obviously both ideas require the station module adjacent to provide the crossovers unless you wanted to include a trailing one so the far line could act as a siding on a single line setup?

post-6968-0-57393800-1413458475_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

There seems to be a lot of emphasis put onto informing the meet organiser of potential irregularities within a module which I agree with to make their lives easier but I'm not sure how in-depth you need to go is it just a quick email/PM once you decide you'd like to attend a meet or is there a set agenda to follow? I have looked at other Modular groups but cannot find anything which asks for a specific format.

Due to the irregularities with my module  :punish:  I've started making a booklet up with everything I can think of that may be required to provide an organiser with as much information as possible.

I have attached a Word Doc and a PDF but have had to remove most of the pictures due to the 1MB limit so it’s a bit bare but you should get the gist.

Having never had to submit a module before Is this the way to go? am I missing anything that should be added or is this too much.

BANKSIDE.docx

BANKSIDEtest.pdf

Cheers

Steve

As there's never been a UK modular meet with the "RMWeb standards" then there is no right and wrong!

I think it's probably far too much information as we're all familiar with modules and how they operate, if we're organising a modular meet :) 

Certainly dimensions are critical, the nominal "back story" (in a few sentences perhaps), track plan and measurements are necessary, the bit with the switches and explanation of being one-sided operating is key, your stock list could be a separate document as this would apply to any modules you can offer.  A few photos is always useful, and the "list of meets attended" is probably not necessary but interesting information. 

I suppose one of the things is that, in the majority of cases, people attending meets are going to be active RMWeb members who have already started threads about their builds.

I suppose one of the things is that, in the majority of cases, people attending meets are going to be active RMWeb members who have already started threads about their builds.

Yeah I was thinking that all of the info is currently on here, I'll probably still use it on a personal level to record all my bits as that comes in handy.

Cheers