British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Size, length of sidings (so they can work out capacity if doing operation is part of it) and any important notes is all you need, for the planner in your case that the controls are only accessible on one side as it may help deciding which way round to put it so it's accessible on the easiest aisle. Anything else about actually operating it is best out in a card with the module itself, I did three fixed to the sides for my US one which told people they could move the rorail tractor by hand and pointing out the mini slide switches to be used for changing points.

That's a great document Steve-e, but more than is needed for a meeting organiser. Just saying it's an RMWeb OO compatible module negates the need for describing the standards, or just put a link to them. Similarly we all know what the standard wiring should be.

As cromptonut says the dimensions, track plan and control systems are the variables we need to know.

I would also describe the stock separately.

That said, I've started something very similar, so well done to you. Just wish I had your skills at scenery!

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on using solenoid point motors so will need a 16V AC supply, and was planning on electrically connecting the baseboards together so one power supply worked a number of boards. Does anyone have experience of a different connector type, or shall I just use banana sockets at an edge of the boards (to keep them away from the track power sockets which are more central) and longer jumper cables in case the sockets on one board are on the opposite side to the next?

Thanks

Robin

• RMweb Gold

Robin

I'd steer clear of banana plugs for the point supply so there's no chance of a mistake and cross connecting into the DCC Bus. Something like a 2.5mm power plug and inline socket would take the current well. Available online or at Maplin.

Are you planning that your module is made of multiple boards that can be arranged in different combinations? If so whatever works for you. The connections between boards within a module don't have to fit any modular standard.

If you are planning them as separate modules its more awkward as your modules may be some distance from each other when the layout is arranged

• RMweb Gold

What about using something like these. They are Loudspeaker terminals that have spring loaded/push fit connections.

Just a personal thing but on the internal joins, not the outer modular ones in this scenario, I prefer a multi pin socket as it does it all in one go and it's impossible to cross wire things.

One of the 'nicest' connectors to use is an 'XLR' type. Rapid/CPC/others sell them. Easy to assemble and solder wires, rated up to 10A per contact. Very reliable, and positively retained plug to socket.

Edited by raymw

Many thanks, that gives me lots of choices - and I'll keep off banana sockets for auxillary AC!

Robin

Reminds me of a time I sensibly used a 100 metre reel of red wire for everything on my layout, including control panel route LED's.

Two crossed wires.  One pressed button to change a point.  32v DC through about 40 LED's.  Lots of little bangs followed by a modicum of cursing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is a photo gallery of an exceptional FREMO meeting, the owner of Uhlenbrock (a company manufacturing DCC equipment) has invited in hin private mansion:

http://vorschau.tobi-meyer.de/FremospielenRothspalk/index.html

Shows to good effect setup, running and breakup of a modular meeting as well as the social parts of such an event.

Regards

Felix

Edit: At least two of the pictured persons are modelling in 4mm scale too...

Edited by FelixM
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend there was another meeting in central northern Germany with a German theme. I didn't make it there but this is about the size of a small modular meeting.

16173935968_35f78c8839_b.jpg

IMG_8547 by Conrail_Markus, on Flickr

15741542293_942489efac_b.jpg

IMG_8548 by Conrail_Markus, on Flickr

Meanwhile we are looking to get the next 00 gauge British modular meeting going in mid-June. If anybody is interested to come along, please get in touch.

Regards

Felix

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

PROGRESS!!!!

Awaiting final confirmation but I believe that Saturday 27th June is a 'goer' for an SECAG meet.  Once I receive that confirmation email I will make a new thread with instructions on where we go from here.

To recap:

Venue: Merstham, Surrey (not far from M25/M23/A23 junctions).

Cost: Dependent on numbers but I believe the total day will cost less than £200 divided by the amount of participants.  I suggest we work on £20 per head and 10 people (well 9 including me) expressing an interest, if more people come along to reduce per person costs we will decide amongst us whether to refund or keep the cash towards future meets.

Modules: Any functional modules, single or double track, welcome.  As long as they are built to the RMWeb standard and have sufficiently working track to get from one end of the module to the other, it doesn't matter if sidings etc aren't working, any non-essential point motors and other wiring isn't working, or scenery is imcomplete.  The idea is to test the standard and see if a group of individuals who have never put their boards together before can create a functional model railway.

Control: DCC.  Lenz standard or compatible, I also hope to provide a laptop/JRMI/wifi setup which will allow suitably equipped mobile phones and tablets to operate trains as well. 

Lunch: Bring your own but tea, coffee and squash will be provided.

Transport: Plenty of on site parking - it's a bit of a hike from the station so I will be asking in the signup paperwork if you are willing to offer lifts to others from your direction, or if you need a lift to attend.

There's a few more things I'm waiting to hear back on that once all is confirmed I will make a new thread and provide instructions for signing up.  I'll require details of modules that you are willing to commit to getting to a suitable standard by the end of June, which will enable me to plan how they all fit together.  30, 45, 60 and 90 degree curved modules and any junctions will be particularly welcome to maximise space utilisation.

It's really happening... (hopefully!)  more info to come soon.

(cross posted to several relevant threads to make sure everyone who may be interested picks it up).

• Like 1

Best of luck guys. Wish I had something suitable to make the trip with!

You have 3 1/2 months ... a small converter board from Croydon North Street to modular standard shouldn't take very long at all and it can be the end of a branch (assuming someone makes a junction board of course!)

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

PROGRESS!!!!

Awaiting final confirmation but I believe that Saturday 27th June is a 'goer' for an SECAG meet.  Once I receive that confirmation email I will make a new thread with instructions on where we go from here.

To recap:

Venue: Merstham, Surrey (not far from M25/M23/A23 junctions).

Cost: Dependent on numbers but I believe the total day will cost less than £200 divided by the amount of participants.  I suggest we work on £20 per head and 10 people (well 9 including me) expressing an interest, if more people come along to reduce per person costs we will decide amongst us whether to refund or keep the cash towards future meets.

Modules: Any functional modules, single or double track, welcome.  As long as they are built to the RMWeb standard and have sufficiently working track to get from one end of the module to the other, it doesn't matter if sidings etc aren't working, any non-essential point motors and other wiring isn't working, or scenery is imcomplete.  The idea is to test the standard and see if a group of individuals who have never put their boards together before can create a functional model railway.

Control: DCC.  Lenz standard or compatible, I also hope to provide a laptop/JRMI/wifi setup which will allow suitably equipped mobile phones and tablets to operate trains as well. 

Lunch: Bring your own but tea, coffee and squash will be provided.

Transport: Plenty of on site parking - it's a bit of a hike from the station so I will be asking in the signup paperwork if you are willing to offer lifts to others from your direction, or if you need a lift to attend.

There's a few more things I'm waiting to hear back on that once all is confirmed I will make a new thread and provide instructions for signing up.  I'll require details of modules that you are willing to commit to getting to a suitable standard by the end of June, which will enable me to plan how they all fit together.  30, 45, 60 and 90 degree curved modules and any junctions will be particularly welcome to maximise space utilisation.

It's really happening... (hopefully!)  more info to come soon.

(cross posted to several relevant threads to make sure everyone who may be interested picks it up).

Good stuff looking forward to this.

Still awaiting Tim Horn to produce some 3ft boards which will fit in my Car then I'll get started.

Cheers

Steve

The hard work is yet to begin - the planning!

But you are right there's a lot of legwork beforehand in getting a venue sorted, etc - it's not just finding a venue but finding one that's big enough, cheap enough, with sufficient parking and relatively accessible to people (and of course anyone who can get there with a module who isn't in the SECAG area is welcome).  This will - I think - assuming we find enough people actually be the first modular meet and it may be that Andy York wants to use it in some manner in the magazine, which I'm sure won't be a problem.  The problem is that I have a lot of module building too do - I should have five distinct modules (most being more than one board) available to use although I am a little concerned how it's all going to fit in my Fiesta.  One of the modules overall footprints is 11ft x 7ft ...

Edited by cromptonnut

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'll say that there's been nothing other than support and sound comment from the UK-based Freemo guys that I saw at Armitage and there was a few valuable lessons taken on board at that meet. I'm standing by making it as simple and as accessible as possible for participate and disregarding complexities at this stage.

I'll certainly be building some stuff once I've got Coventry out of the way and I hope to give it some impetus with maybe a challenge and some mag exposure once we're underway.

I wish I'd seen this coming!

At the moment, I have a 6 road fiddle yard capable of loco plus 8 so that's going to restrict things to start with; however it will be easy for me to add 4ft to it for a future date should this not prove enough (and, of course if a better storage yard appears mine could easily become the end of a branch line).

However, my station for example will only hold loco plus 4 at a push although of course not everything will stop at it, some will just breeze past (as in the real thing).

I think until we're looking at 100ft plus end to end, the majority of it being double track, we don't need to worry about running too many crack expresses thundering round the circuit as fun as it'd be, especially if there is nowhere for the trains to stop.

Well at the moment, unless someone else brings a fiddle yard, train lengths are restricted to that :)  I just made it that length partly as it was convenient for me, and my needs (remembering that, at this early stage, I'm building all of my planned modules with the single goal that they will all be able to form together to make a complete exhibitable layout), and it's all about balance - no point having a 24ft long 30ft behemoth of a fiddle yard if all we have at the other end is a two platform terminus capable of taking 3 carriage trains.

We're Dave Lewis & Dave Clarke, discovering a whole new world (hopefully not "going west" metaphorically, or getting dysentery on the way) and growing as we go along - it will no doubt come a time that my fiddle yard is insufficient for our needs and it has to be rebuilt, or someone else makes one, we'll manage.  I would guess that most people are going to want to build stations of some kind and very few will want to spend their limited budgets on "essential" or "limited use" modules such as a fiddle yard, hence my plea for some corners :)