British Modular System - the initial ideas and debates

Andy Y

"Loco + 4" (ie about 5ft) is only the length of the station I am planning on my "return to sender" module. I haven't yet received any of the forms back from the people that have asked for them so I don't know if anyone is planning on bringing a larger station.

As "my layout plans" based on the modules I am building should it be operated as a standalone layout is based on southern region EMU's, a CEP plus MLV, for example, is a  convenient unit, although I know in the 1980's the Barnstaple DMU substitutions were loco plus 3, and back in history many branches operated on similar principles so it seemed a good place to start.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lulworth is only loco and 2 coaches, 3 if a unit, if you want to run round ;) might have to provide a shunter to get people out of trouble. This is where some form of service plan will help and why the US version asks for siding lengths at each location so you don't get swamped in places ;)

(This is off the top of my head for figures as an example)

Something like assigning jobs as :-

(All lengths are up to . . )

branch passenger 2 coaches

branch goods 7 wagons incl brake.

Mainline passenger 6 coaches

Mainline goods 15 wagons.

Saturday Special passenger 8 coaches.

Edited by PaulRhB

Certainly at future meets there will be an "approximate" timetable put together but my intention for this one is a 'free for all' and if the "hand of god" is required on occasions to get us out of a mess well so be it!

I'm working on the principle that one train getting from fiddle yard to the end and back again without a problem is a success and anything else is a bonus on our first meet!

• Like 1

Let's also not forget that we could - layout permitting - have several trains running at any given time even under "free for all" status so there will be people functioning as 'signalpersons' even if it's only showing green or red cards to drivers on approaching trains so they know whether they have a clear route to proceed or not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That was the sort of feelings we had with the first SWAG module set up - let's just hope something works.

The fiddle yards were made in two parts - one with the points and one as plain track. The 2nd one could then be replace or extended to make a longer yard as required. ( All sat on tables so no issues with support).

Hi Stubby, same idea as mine - one 4ft board with the single track going into a tunnel as a scenic break then fanning out to 6 roads, then two more 4ft boards of straight track (actually lengths of flexi that fit inbetween pinned down sections of setrack but it's more complicated to explain - just trust me :) and it would be very easy to add an extra 4ft if required or even at least one additional road should it be felt necessary without any major surgery or expense.  It's almost "modules within a module" if that makes sense.

Trust me, if this meet happens it will be photographed and documented to within an inch of its life so everyone else here will be able to share the fun we've had.  Once we know it's a definite "goer" I hope that someone from BRM will come along and document it for the magazine.

• Like 1

What era is going to be run? Or does anything go? I don't 'do' DCC myself but have a couple of chipped loco's (just don't ask me what address they are) it would be nice to see some of my stock pass over my module eventually if the era fits, although I'm probably best allocated as a signaller.

Trust me, if this meet happens it will be photographed and documented to within an inch of its life so everyone else here will be able to share the fun we've had.  Once we know it's a definite "goer" I hope that someone from BRM will come along and document it for the magazine.

Andy instigated all this, he'd best turn up ;)

What era is going to be run? Or does anything go? I don't 'do' DCC myself but have a couple of chipped loco's (just don't ask me what address they are) it would be nice to see some of my stock pass over my module eventually if the era fits, although I'm probably best allocated as a signaller.

On this occasion, "anything goes" - I suggest in the information pack that participants bring a couple of "complete trains" to run rather than their entire collection as there simply won't be enough time to run every combination we might want to.

If that means a GWR local train passing through an LNER station whilst a Network SouthEast slam door electric multiple unit runs past, then so be it.  At least they're all the same country, it's nothing unusual at N gauge modular meets to see Flying Scotsman passing a 100 wagon long American freight train going through alpine scenery!  Modular isn't really for the purists, even when a group of individuals work on a club layout there will be differences of opinion and how things ought to be let alone people 300 miles apart whose only knowledge of each other is a screen name.

In the future, when there are hundreds of us with modules, then there may well be plenty of scope for specific "modern image" running days, or a group of GWR modellers get together to model an entire branchline and its timetable on a Tuesday in 1924, there's no reason why that can't happen, but at the moment I don't think we can afford to exclude anyone unnecessary (the location in itself will be a deterrent to some).  But as I said, at the moment we're still at the "proving" stage for our SECAG meeting to make sure that we've all interpreted the standards in the same way (or misinterpreted them in a compatible manner) so we can get along and link them all together to have a day running our trains along a track length far greater than we generally would at home, and take some nice pictures and videos in the process, most importantly having fun meeting up and having a go at making it work.

• Like 3

On this occasion, "anything goes" - I suggest in the information pack that participants bring a couple of "complete trains" to run rather than their entire collection as there simply won't be enough time to run every combination we might want to.

If that means a GWR local train passing through an LNER station whilst a Network SouthEast slam door electric multiple unit runs past, then so be it.  At least they're all the same country, it's nothing unusual at N gauge modular meets to see Flying Scotsman passing a 100 wagon long American freight train going through alpine scenery!  Modular isn't really for the purists, even when a group of individuals work on a club layout there will be differences of opinion and how things ought to be let alone people 300 miles apart whose only knowledge of each other is a screen name.

In the future, when there are hundreds of us with modules, then there may well be plenty of scope for specific "modern image" running days, or a group of GWR modellers get together to model an entire branchline and its timetable on a Tuesday in 1924, there's no reason why that can't happen, but at the moment I don't think we can afford to exclude anyone unnecessary (the location in itself will be a deterrent to some).  But as I said, at the moment we're still at the "proving" stage for our SECAG meeting to make sure that we've all interpreted the standards in the same way (or misinterpreted them in a compatible manner) so we can get along and link them all together to have a day running our trains along a track length far greater than we generally would at home, and take some nice pictures and videos in the process, most importantly having fun meeting up and having a go at making it work.

Works for me, I'll bring some diesels (by any stretch of the imagination I don't think the ac electrics will look right here!)

Moving on, got a plan for a 90 degree curve sorted in my head, however I'm struggling to come up with a reason for the other S bend being on a flat board. Between raised scenery won't work (to awkward to fit in the car, as much as I would have loved a tunnel with windmill on top) so any other inspirational reason for an S bend would be appreciated.

A couple of thoughts that might help.

1) A 1" layer of polystyrene on top of the boards and then a gentle cutting down into the track bed so you are 'looking down on the trains'.

2) Reverse idea, track on a 1" bed of polystyrene above the baseboard so the train is on a small embankment.

3) Removeable trees - 2mm brass rod sticking out of the bottom, that fit into a 2mm i/d tube stuck into the ground.

4) Removeable buildings that fit into designated spots on the boards, with some grass glued around the bottom edge to "hide the join".

All of these only add about an inch to the height of the board.  Flat open fields are perfectly acceptable.  "Anonymous" scenery and era boards are probably the most useful of all :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll try to remember to stick the SPROG in so we can program if required. I wasn't suggesting a timetable just some limits on train length ;) a mix of stock is good for now as we can select photos for compatibly. My layout is designed to change eras from 1950's onwards and I'm intending running it BR steam and privatisation alternating at shows.

My suggestion of "bringing complete trains" also reduces issues of coupling incompatibility - your stock runs with your locos :)

Incidently PaulRHB, my fiddle yard contains a 3ft isolated section of track that can be used for programming, if you have a couple of crocodile clips handy... or I will try and find 5 minutes to solder a couple of wires to the rails and put a pair of choc blocks there as well for more 'temporary' lashups.

But if you have your own programming plank by all means bring that instead.  The more the merrier and the less chance of "programming on main" to reset every loco on the layout to the same address the better!

Don't ask me how I know that is not a good thing to do ...

Edited by cromptonnut

At the moment, I have a 6 road fiddle yard capable of loco plus 8 so that's going to restrict things to start with; however it will be easy for me to add 4ft to it for a future date should this not prove enough (and, of course if a better storage yard appears mine could easily become the end of a branch line).

However, my station for example will only hold loco plus 4 at a push although of course not everything will stop at it, some will just breeze past (as in the real thing).

I think until we're looking at 100ft plus end to end, the majority of it being double track, we don't need to worry about running too many crack expresses thundering round the circuit as fun as it'd be, especially if there is nowhere for the trains to stop.

Just wondering what spacing you are using for your fiddle yard I presume the middle 2 tracks would be spaced as per a 2 track board using this as a guide? are the others then spaced as per that.

The reason I'm asking is it could be an option for my 3ft straight board so it could be A. Single track board (slightly off sett) , B twin track board with unused tracks to sides, C straight addition to fiddle yard.

No points involved just straight lengths of track might make a good storage yard / photo board at home too.

Cheers

How it's built at present wouldn't work for "fitting in another board" unless it was designed to the same specs (rememeber its only the end that needs to meet the specs, what you do inbetween is up to you).  I've got lengths of flexitrack, and some pinned down bits of straight setrack with the fishplates soldered to it, rather than trying to make 6 tracks align perfectly ... you'll see in June :P

Edited by cromptonnut

• RMweb Gold

I was tempted to make another yard but I can't fit it in the car along with the Lulworth so mulling over that plus usable straight run and junction. I was thinking of something that could be used for the US meets too ;) Do I go for simple and new or continue wioth the Lulworth module . . . .

• RMweb Gold

Works for me, I'll bring some diesels (by any stretch of the imagination I don't think the ac electrics will look right here!)

Moving on, got a plan for a 90 degree curve sorted in my head, however I'm struggling to come up with a reason for the other S bend being on a flat board. MBetween raised scenery won't work (to awkward to fit in the car, as much as I would have loved a tunnel with windmill on top) so any other inspirational reason for an S bend would be appreciated.

most likely reason would be to cross a river or canal, especially if a swing bridge.

• RMweb Gold

I am still finding it remarkably difficult to design junction modules that work well (or indeed at all).

Tried with Anyrail this morning (because of it having the Peco track library) but not got on with it. It keeps wanting to take my flex track in the wrong direction!

I know that I should be able to get a 30 deg curve away from a junction (12 deg point plus 18 deg curve) in a reasonable length, but it is not happening when I try to put it on paper. And I am not sure that it gives enough width to attach the next two module boards. A 45 deg curve (12 deg point plus 33 deg curved track) may actually be easier.

Perhaps easier just to get a piece of plywood out and use track templates. When I get to the result that I want, I can just mark out the ply and build the baseboard around it.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps easier just to get a piece of plywood out and use track templates. When I get to the result that I want, I can just mark out the ply and build the baseboard around it.

Yep that's what I did with the US module, they end up big if you try 90 deg so I'm designing a 45 deg one.

Here's what I'm playing with design wise. Note the cut away to allow the other board to cut in saving space for transport.

post-6968-0-15929000-1428153975_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yep that's what I did with the US module, they end up big if you try 90 deg so I'm designing a 45 deg one.

Here's what I'm playing with design wise. Note the cut away to allow the other board to cut in saving space for transport.

attachicon.gifukfreemo.JPG

Thanks, Paul. That's a very useful drawing. Does make for a rather odd shaped board though.

What radius curve is that? Looks like 3ft (minimum). I am trying for 5ft to follow through from the large radius turnout and so as to include a curved point which will lead to a siding.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Here's another one, double track with a single track junction off, one 4ft x 18" board and one 2ft x 31" board cut with 45 degrees along 18" for the "joining" end and about 40 degrees to make it neat. The radius of the curve is about 45 inches and medium points are used.

post-8328-0-60228000-1428155600_thumb.jpg

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 2