Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Bob Sweet for sending over some snaps of assorted attempts to re-arrange Barwell's street furniture.

attachicon.gif180714_ 025 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifBS 170714_ 030 LBR 778 Chaloner Barwell copy.jpg

And if you did this on a layout, someone would complain that you can't get that artic in there.......

Cheers,

Mick

Many thanks to Bob Sweet for sending over some snaps of assorted attempts to re-arrange Barwell's street furniture.

attachicon.gif180714_ 025 copy.jpg

attachicon.gifBS 170714_ 030 LBR 778 Chaloner Barwell copy.jpg

Would not have liked to drive those wagons with the locos on the trailer. Didn't mind trying out a 27-footer many moons ago but not that (wouldn't mind a crack at driving that Jinty though).

Maybe I missed it with tired eyes but are the Freightliner containers being released seperately from the flats? Wouldn't mind a few of those.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that you quote a post of mine that's been censored. I wonder whose toes I trod on :-)

Anyhoo, I'm thinking C1 Atlantic for what that's worth i.e. nothing.

It is a shame that your post has a sour note.Why,I ask,,should it....or your guess...be worth nothing ?

I haven't said, or intended to imply, anything about only having an "Agree" button. I simply mentioned that I didn't much care for the "disagree" button.

I'm really sorry to bring this up again, folks, as I know it's OT, but the disagree to this post, the third from the same RMWebber without any explanation and about a statement of fact as far as I can see, is exactly what I was getting at about the system.

I think I need to take a break from RMWeb and just go back to simply enjoying my modelling.

No doubt this post will produce one or more "disagrees" too.

Mornin' WW,

It is important to have the option to say that you don't agree with someone elses theories....it took a long time to gain the right to freedom of speech and it isn't going to be given up. Maybe you're spending too much time on one thread which is heightening the importance of minor niggles such as this. I have 98 'disagrees' against me (ratio positive to negative (neutral) of 20:1) on my profile but my regular visiting of various threads on this site means that there are always positive notifications happening alongside the negative (sorry, neutral) ones and so a better balance/perspective is achieved.

Try the same approach it'll reduce the significance of your 'disagree' button issues.

Dave     

I have 98 'disagrees' against me (ratio positive to negative of 20:1) on my profile but my regular visiting of various threads on this site means that there are always positive notifications happening alongside the negative ones and so a better balance/perspective is achieved.

This prompted me to have a look at my own profile, which I rarely do. Are the 'disagrees' in the second column like 00000/00/0. If so, the rotters have handed me over a ton!  :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Actually, it's something like agree / neutral / negative. Andy Y put 'Indecipherable' and 'Disagree' into the 'neutral' category, and there are no 'negatives' at time of writing. If you go to your profile, and to the 'Ratings' section (second from bottom in column on left) then that shows the full distribution both received and given.

• RMweb Gold

I'm really sorry to bring this up again, folks, as I know it's OT, but the disagree to this post, the third from the same RMWebber without any explanation and about a statement of fact as far as I can see, is exactly what I was getting at about the system.

I think I need to take a break from RMWeb and just go back to simply enjoying my modelling.

No doubt this post will produce one or more "disagrees" too.

Keep going,my friend...the troll fighters be with you!

Consider this....it might be a genuine lack of articulacy on their part...or maybe they're just shy...poor souls.

Some,it would seem,hide behind the anonymity of the icon.....and some do purely to annoy

Don't please stop posting.

I "only" have 60. I obviously must try harder!

Hi,

I hope Andy will allow this OT comment which as far as I can remember hasnt been pointed out by anyone as I do feel that its a very relevent point.

We have seen a fair few postings from members who seem very touchy over getting a 'dissagree'.

Why ?.

On RM Web, which is a valuable fund of knowledge for its members, you are free to say what you like (within reasonable bounds of course), free to express your opinion, free to offer your advice, free to disagree with another members comment.

Why then, given those freedoms, do people get so worked up about having another member disagree with them?.

Yes I agree that if a member does disagree with a post then it would be polite to post an explanation of why or what was disagreed with - this would further broaden the discussion to the benefit of all.

The obvious last observation :

If you dont want to risk having someone disagreeing with your point of view then dont post in the first place.

Regards

Mornin' WW,

It is important to have the option to say that you don't agree with someone elses theories....it took a long time to gain the right to freedom of speech and it isn't going to be given up. Maybe you're spending too much time on one thread which is heightening the importance of minor niggles such as this. I have 98 'disagrees' against me (ratio positive to negative (neutral) of 20:1) on my profile but my regular visiting of various threads on this site means that there are always positive notifications happening alongside the negative (sorry, neutral) ones and so a better balance/perspective is achieved.

Try the same approach it'll reduce the significance of your 'disagree' button issues.

Dave     

I agree wholeheartedly about free speech, Dave, and as I've said on here earlier in this thread, of course people are going to disagree, but when I disagree with something I say why. I have never used the disagree button, I have just put my views in a post.

Just ticking the disagree box and not bothering to explain (repeatedly in some cases) is just downright negative, particularly when as far as I can see, in my most recent post, it was simply a statement of fact.

I come on here to interact positively with other like-minded modellers, of which there are many. I don't want semi-anonymous, unexplained disagreement. Everyday life and work poses sufficient challenges as it is.

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

I hope Andy will allow this OT comment which as far as I can remember hasnt been pointed out by anyone as I do feel that its a very relevent point.

We have seen a fair few postings from members who seem very touchy over getting a 'dissagree'.

Why ?.

On RM Web, which is a valuable fund of knowledge for its members, you are free to say what you like (within reasonable bounds of course), free to express your opinion, free to offer your advice, free to disagree with another members comment.

Why then, given those freedoms, do people get so worked up about having another member disagree with them?.

Yes I agree that if a member does disagree with a post then it would be polite to post an explanation of why or what was disagreed with - this would further broaden the discussion to the benefit of all.

The obvious last observation :

If you dont want to risk having someone disagreeing with your point of view then dont post in the first place.

Regards

Just to clarify, as I say in my post above, my point is about the negative unexplained use of the disagree button. I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me in any shape or form whatsoever.

Hope that's clear now.

Cheers

Dave

I agree wholeheartedly about free speech, Dave, and as I've said on here earlier in this thread, of course people are going to disagree, but when I disagree with something I say why. I have never used the disagree button, I have just put my views in a post.

Just ticking the disagree box and not bothering to explain (repeatedly in some cases) is just downright negative, particularly when as far as I can see, in my most recent post, it was simply a statement of fact.

I come on here to interact positively with other like-minded modellers, of which there are many. I don't want semi-anonymous, unexplained disagreement. Everyday life and work poses sufficient challenges as it is.

Cheers

Dave

I understand your feelings, but in the semi-anonymous world of the web it's sometimes tricky. For example, a while back I did not agree with someone's post. I didn't click the disagree button but, instead, quoted him and replied. He responded by clicking "disagree" with my post.

I found that intriguing: we already knew he disagreed - after all, I was disagreeing with him. But there was something about that situation that, for him, demanded he had the final say. So he lodged his silent but emphatic "disagree".

There are other oddnesses: I disagreed with someone a while back, who then trawled through lots of my previous posts and, under the (more) serious ones, clicked the "Funny" icon.

Nowt so queer as folk.

Paul

Why ?.

There's nothing wrong with having a disagree button, the same as having a keyboard. In this case it's been the way they've been used and it's unlikely anyone other than the recipient (or someone like me looking at someone's pattern of behavior) would actually notice or see a pattern emerging. In this case there's been concerted efforts by two or three people to systematically work through a topic clicking on disagree on a person's posts with absolutely no offer of an alternative perspective and seemingly some posts which there's very little to disagree with. One was so blatant that it was just clicking on it to rile (me) and a choice to ignore a PM I'd sent over the matter and carry on doing it (to several people), it probably doesn't help that individual case that many posts are that of a door-handle so it earned a suspension as the behaviour was nothing other than disruptive.

In some areas the disagree button is used usefully where a vote is sought by a poster inviting users to click agree or disagree so it would be a shame to remove the function just because someone can't use it responsibly - a bit like the keyboard.

Perhaps Bachmann doesn't think the O4 will sell well enough for a standard production run. My money is on it being the Model Rail Limited Edition to be announced in the Summer 2014 edition out at the end of the month.

I have enquired about Bachmann doing a run of ROD O4s and the answer was (again) that a number of tooling changes would be required to do it properly. Their worry is that if it was done off the existing tooling, they would be castigated for not doing it to the exact ROD spec, including items such as the Westinghouse pump which are not included in the suite of tools for the O4. Personally I think most people would be happy to live with it, or fit their own extra details, but I do see their point.

I can't say any more about it, but having instigated the Model Rail steam locomotive limited edition that they're about to announce before I changed jobs, I think it will be very nice. I hope it does well for them, and it will be worthy of our support.

Just to clarify, as I say in my post above, my point is about the negative unexplained use of the disagree button. I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me in any shape or form whatsoever.

Hope that's clear now.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I made it look like I was pointing my comment at you - that wasnt my intention at all.

I quoted your post simply to pick up the thread for a reply.

I think Andy has summed things up perfectly about the repeated negative use of the disagree button.

I too welcome it if another modeller feels the need to disagree with something I say - provided that person then offers his explanation in a post for all to see his or her reason.

I have been active in the hobby for 56 years and there have been the odd occasion when i've posted a comment based on my memory. Now 56 years is a long time to remember everything perfectly clearly so if i've slipped up and got something wrong i'm personally very pleased if another modeller can correct my memory.

That happening not only corrects my memory but much more importantly get the correct facts on RMWeb to the benefit of others.

What has been happening has been wrong and has been properly dealt with by Andy - i'm sure you wont press the 'disagree' button on that remark!!.

All the very best,

Regards

I'm hoping the announcements by DJ Models on the forum later this morning lifts the mood a little  :scratchhead:

....ironically, these announcements can also be the source of the despondency, when hopes are built up and dashed. There is obviously an advantage to a manufacturer in trumpeting possible future models (otherwise they wouldn't do it) but this should be tempered by the responsibility of providing a 'track record' ratio of announcements to actual models delivered within a sensible timescale e.g. 6 months, as part of the announcement. That way we have a real time indication of just how likely the fantasy is to morph into reality. As was suggested earlier in this thread, if a manufacturer had to give a guaranteed price at the time of the announcement too, then we'd know exactly how serious he was and how soon we might expect to see the model.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry if I made it look like I was pointing my comment at you - that wasnt my intention at all.

I quoted your post simply to pick up the thread for a reply.

I think Andy has summed things up perfectly about the repeated negative use of the disagree button.

I too welcome it if another modeller feels the need to disagree with something I say - provided that person then offers his explanation in a post for all to see his or her reason.

I have been active in the hobby for 56 years and there have been the odd occasion when i've posted a comment based on my memory. Now 56 years is a long time to remember everything perfectly clearly so if i've slipped up and got something wrong i'm personally very pleased if another modeller can correct my memory.

That happening not only corrects my memory but much more importantly get the correct facts on RMWeb to the benefit of others.

What has been happening has been wrong and has been properly dealt with by Andy - i'm sure you wont press the 'disagree' button on that remark!!.

All the very best,

Regards

Absolutely no offence taken, weatheringman. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't throwing my toys out of the pram simply because someone was disagreeing with me. 

Cheers,

Dave

Archived