Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

I would single out Graham Hubbard as giving us affordable high spec models over the last 25 years (or at least 24 of them!) Its true that without this gentleman setting up Bachmann UK the hobby would indeed be poorer. I only need to look at the ranks of blue boxes I have to realise that.  I don't think he is away yet, but I wish him well in his retirement.

I think also Bachmann have led the way and been a bit more innovative/ risk taking. They gave us the first 3rd rail emu (the CEP) which Hornby the followed with the VEP.  The first high spec AC Electric (85) and AC emu. They have virtually wiped the floor with Hornby on modern freight stock, and indeed most freight stock

Hi,

Yes indeed totally agree.

If Graham reads this then I hope he will forgive me for accidentally leaving something out of mu post.

I do of course add that I wish him all the very best for a long, happy and healthy retirement.

Thankyou for all you have done for us Graham - the hobby owes you a lot.

Regards

I too wish Graham Hubbard all the best in his retirement. I appreciate a lot of people were brought up with Hornby as children, but not all of us. I'm speaking as a modeller who came back to modelling again after a very long lapse (well it was my day job) and soon realised his preferred manufacturer was Bachmann. So you could say I'm a bach man.

• RMweb Gold

Don't Shildon also have an HAA coal hopper?

Now that's just a disgusting amount of wishful thinking on my part! :)

Cheers,

James

DON'T YOU DARE YOUNG MR MAKIN....

Replacing one 25set of freightliners is just about viable. I am NOT replacing more than 200 HAAs!

Andi

So are you suggesting we only have an "Agree" button.. sounds a bit too much like a European vote to me.

I haven't said, or intended to imply, anything about only having an "Agree" button. I simply mentioned that I didn't much care for the "disagree" button.

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO - of correctly celtic origins - says she prefers a fawr man Larry!

Cheers

Phil

Yn Cymraeg,Phil,it's "Mawr"......kind of broad at the shoulder & narrow at the hips......Philip Mawr...Big Phil...etc..

Forgive the licence...great that you're ,as it were,entering into the spirit....as a "Saes" that is....in translation that means,as we used to say,anyone who lives "up England way"....Regards,Ian.

Yn Cymraeg,Phil,it's "Mawr"......kind of broad at the shoulder & narrow at the hips......Philip Mawr...Big Phil...etc..

Forgive the licence...great that you're ,as it were,entering into the spirit....as a "Saes" that is....in translation that means,as we used to say,anyone who lives "up England way"....Regards,Ian.

Think you'll find it "Sais" Ian ;)

'Mawr' mutates into 'Fawr', under rules that are too arcane to remember. Suffice to say that Mynydd Mawr ('Big mountain'; definitely an exaggeration) is but a mile or two from the Gwendraeth Fawr ('Big' Gwendraeth). There's a similar mutation between 'Bach', and 'Fach', meaning 'small' ; 'Cwmbach', but Gwendraeth Fach.

It has been proven that some folk use the disagree button spuriously and have had a month added to their sentence! If someone say they like apples, how can someone disagree? But it happens.

They could be lying and the Disagreer knows better...

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Saesneg = English language

Saesnes = English woman (can also be spelt Saesnau)

Sais or Saeson) = English man

diolch

Saeson - as in Saxon? Makes sense, given the origin of the English ruling class !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. I've always wondered as to the roots of Isherwood.

Saeson - as in Saxon? Makes sense, given the origin of the English ruling class !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. I've always wondered as to the roots of Isherwood.

Hi John,

Isherwood (origin) : Artistic, One of great foresight, able to see others needs. Species can be found to be likely to supply the needs of others especially in the field of graphics.

(taken from the Geneology of Model Railways : Published 37th Septober 2115 by Fangbolt Publications plc, The Bothy, Down Siding,  Upwards Junction.

No offence intended Jonh - just a sentiment i'm sure many will share.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Isherwood (origin) : Artistic, One of great foresight, able to see others needs. Species can be found to be likely to supply the needs of others especially in the field on graphics.

No offence intended Jonh - just a sentiment i'm sure many will share.

Regards

Thank you - your sentiments are greatly appreciated, and timely.

Suffice to say that today has not been the best; unpleasantness of the first order with a very well established fellow model railway trader who I had regarded as a friend.

Such is life! :umbrage:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic:

Hi,

Saesneg = English language

Saesnes = English woman (can also be spelt Saesnau)

Sais or Saeson) = English man

diolch

Does Saesneg (Welsh) = Sassenach (Scottish) ??

Gents

Enough of the off topic ramblings again please. Let's keep on the topic of the OP

Thank you

Hi,

Perhaps the moderators would like to explain why they dont like the odd 'wobble' off topic just for a bit of inoffensive fun.

This thread has seen much venom, idiotic and pointless comments and moans (which have been quite rightly jumped on by the moderators - action I support totally when the posts descend into the lows that were begining to happen)

Again action by the moderators against posters excesive use of the 'dissagree' button does seem acceptable.

However as has happened numerous times on other threads we see a bit of OT posting - usually worthwhile and usefull in its own right, sometimes funny (like the daft, fictitious names for locomotives) and then after we have had a laugh the topic rapidly returns to the original point of the thread.

This makes the use of RMWeb far more enjoyable without causing any problems.

Why then is it necessary for such posts as this from a moderator - the thread will settle back down on its own.

I'm sure many would like to see the answer.

Regards

It's just about keeping it to reasonably sensible diversions (otherwise we get complaints that it's gone too far off topic) and sometimes they never do get back to where they started from. If the OP of a layout topic encourages diversions then that's fine but when it's a general info topic the flexible rules need a different approach.

Archived