Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

Ahh but it runs over the diamond crossings at Newcastle Central per your earlier post. So clearly a North Tyneside emu. No wait a minute........an LNER Atlantic. There's one in the NRM. Is it a C1? Never sure of the designations. I know there are large and small boiler variants both preserved there, 

Runs over the diamond at Newcastle? Sorry but not an LNER Atlantic from the NRM then, they're Great Northern not North Eastern.

The C1's the large Ivatt Atlantic, C2 the small one.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Thank you for the response,

Yes a very strong point about the lack of tooling. I didn`t consider that when posting the comment. It would be great to see a DRS Compass 20 and HNRC 20 next year though! I think Bachmann should focus on the Class 20s next year because I think that with the correct updated tooling and necessary modifications they would be fantastic models. If these models were released I would definitely be buying them both!

I`m really pleased with DRS Compass 37405 though. That will be a great addition to my fleet.

• RMweb Premium

Yes maybe no new upgraded Class 20 for the time been but surely on the cards for sometime soon. I honestly did expect the Class 20s this year. The DRS 20s have worn Compass for years now and the HNRC 20s have been in Orange for a couple of years now as well.

Yes I would expect to see working lights (hopefully Wipacs) and a cab light.

Unsure as to how old the current Class 20 model is. I`m sure someone else on the forum can provide an answer.

Yes maybe no new upgraded Class 20 for the time been but surely on the cards for sometime soon. I honestly did expect the Class 20s this year. The DRS 20s have worn Compass for years now and the HNRC 20s have been in Orange for a couple of years now as well.

Yes I would expect to see working lights (hopefully Wipacs) and a cab light.

Unsure as to how old the current Class 20 model is. I`m sure someone else on the forum can provide an answer.

It was released in the spring of 2004

I can respect 'collectors', but my belief is this: If it was built with a motor, it was made to be used.

I can respect collectors, but my argument is never using it will eventually kill it.

I have a Bachmann class 04 diesel from the first run almost 2 decades ago. It came at the end of an era of split chassis for new models and the start of the blue ribbon range. Thus this is a model with sprung buffers and split chassis. Due to shortage of shunters on my western region, the model was assigned there....

A few years after this, far better running shunting locos appeared (all new class 08s, decent pannier tanks), and so the loco sat at the bottom of a big box for more than 10 years un-run in preference to the other models.

I recently discovered the online BR database and finally could find out where each of these little engines were assigned. I dug out the 04, found it was actually located at Ashford, so the model has now been re-assigned to there and a class 14 was ordered to fill the hole on the western region (in fact 2 diesel shunters I had assigned there actually belonged elsewhere).

I gave the 04 a run, it growled and limped and hopped along really badly. Surely I had not brought such an awful running loco? I stripped down (easy to do on these older models), the grease had dried and became like grinding paste, the axles had no oil... I think if it had not been used much longer; it would have seezed solid. 

Sorted out the gears and axles, now runs really sweetly.

I had brought a Wrenn R1, apparently never run. The axles where seezed onto the chassis. The danger here is that you can write off the chassis block trying to loose them. Gently we succeeded.

But it goes to show that never ever running these things will eventually cause them to rot in situ. New models with brass bearings on steel axles, in a mazak chassis are at more risk.So now I think use them or loose them....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

• 4 weeks later...

37-279 - Bachmann 27 Ton Steel Tippler Wagon MSV number B386309 - just appearing in the shops etc......

with a 4-shoe "Morton-ish" and apparently unfitted chassis - why even bother Bachmann ????

See Paul's splendid photo below - THAT'S what we needed.............would have had a shedload of them

37-279 way out of period for me, but just casually comparing Paul's shot to this one does throw up plenty of inconsistencies to discredit the model for sure:

http://www.ehattons.com/60921/Bachmann_Branchline_37_279_27_ton_steel_tippler_wagon_in_BR_bauxite/StockDetail.aspx

Such as the fact the body's too tall for the version that was either built, or converted to, vacuum-braking; presumably that's because they've simply used the existing moulding. Were any of the type with the deeper body converted, or were all of them 9' vice 10' wheelbase, and thus not considered candidates? Certainly, the earlier version, in its unfitted form, did see service on stone traffic, before enough fitted vehicles became available.

• RMweb Gold

37-279 - Bachmann 27 Ton Steel Tippler Wagon MSV number B386309 - just appearing in the shops etc......

with a 4-shoe "Morton-ish" and apparently unfitted chassis - why even bother Bachmann ????

See Paul's splendid photo below - THAT'S what we needed.............would have had a shedload of them

I reckon the (Morton) brake gear is wrong on a least half of my Bachmann wagons so fitted; clutch on wrong side, vac cylinder on wrong side, sometimes both.

The real beaut is a second hand ex-GWR Fruit van (W134333) that I got at a recent swapmeet.

The vac cylinder is right for once but It has Morton clutches on BOTH sides! :jester:

John

• 2 months later...

Any news on 31-168  L & YR 2-4-2T No. 10713 in LMS crimson just what I need for a Xmas gift!

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3

According to Bachmann's product listing (updated yesterday  11th Nov.) various items are listed as due Nov/Dec, Jan/Feb, Mar/Apr etc.

Sadly the crimson 2-4-2t isn't one of them. I agree that it would make a nice Christmas present but no one has asked me want I want yet.

RP

My thoughts (in no particular order).....

The whole 25th Anniversary angle seems to have been over-hyped (and not necessarily by Bachmann themselves) but very under-played; the only thing that celebrates this milestone seems to be the wooden box set which had already been announced. In fact the whole thing seemed like going to the unveiling of a new Ferrari only to find an electric car behind the velvet curtain; interesting but a bit ‘hmmmmm’.

I can understand the slow-down of new models, a lot of stuff in the pipeline doesn’t seem to be progressing that quickly. Better to work on the backlog rather than fill a catalogue with items which won’t be available before the following year’s catalogue comes out?!

I’ve come to view these announcements with half-interest as the items unveiled are typically 18+ months away from hitting the shelves. I’m far more interested in what has been previously announced and when that will be available.

For me as a BR Blue / BR sector era modeller I was very interested to hear more about the Class 37s and the livery variations announced in March 2013, including the budget sound model. Nothing, nada, zip, naff all. [MISS]

Some body types of class 37’s are fetching good prices on eBay particularly un-refurbished ones (37035 and 37239 in particular), modellers are obviously crying out for these body styles but Bachmann seem to be unaware? [bIG MISS]

I’ll have one of each of 37706 & 37796 – [HIT]

Class 20 : 20118 another disc version in Railfreight. We had 20090 recently but the centre box 20132 was years ago and with the old 8-pin chassis. [MISS]

The news that the Inspection saloon will be hitting the shops soon is great news. Notably much faster than other items announced around the same time, I guess in part because it was already part-developed from the N gauge version. [HIT]

Now, any company wants to maximise cash-flow and to do this they must offer products that customers want to buy.

Class 40 - why no new livery or bodystyle variations? Of the three issued so far the blue one is totally sold out, the green one is almost gone and the sound fitted one is heading the same way. Bang out a few liveries with different nose ends – instant win.

Polybulks – fetching up to £75 on eBay for a model that was on the shelves for £25 just a few months ago!! Surely someone at Bachmann is aware of the prices these are now shifting for? Another easy win.

Un-refurbished class 37’s are much in demand on eBay, another one that requires little work, just livery variations from tooling that already exists.

It can be done – Late January we had the announcement about the Highlander train set with a class 37/4, a re-livery of an existing model, which is due in late summer; 9 months.

I don’t pretend to fully understand the situation in China and Bachmann’s position in the Kader priority list, but if I was Bachmann UK I’d be screaming out for product that is obviously in demand and would sell quickly.

Is the lack of production slots so desperate?

Regards from a dedicated but frustrated Bachmann customer.

Archived