Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

Upset by an unexplained disagree?

Are none of you guys married?????????????????

That one made me smile, especially after the trolling I received earlier today from some persons of questionable parentage. I think some people just have no social skills whatsoever. Going by what I was subjected to, I think my Aspergers may be cured - certainly is by their standards!!!!! A shrink could have a field day with some of the things we have seen on forums me thinks.

In the words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along? I've never seen such negativity over something so trivial compared to what is going on in the world! Pretty depressing really! I for one love Bachmann stuff and am happy for any new additions even if there aren't many or aren't on my wish list. I'm sure they'll come one day. I wanted a new Blue Pullman and it may have taken 40 years but I got it! As my mum used to say All good things come to those who wait! Hats off to you Andy, you must have the patience of a saint!

I think some of us have been waiting for 40 years for a container crane as well as the Blue Pullman, both originally Tri-ang, now by Big Blue. Am going to try and justify that crane now that my interests are different from when I was much younger. The crane looks very impressive from the pictures I saw on mremag this morning, can't help thinking that Bachmann have missed a trick by not motorising it, like Heljan have done with traversers and so on. If it's a resin thing, could explain why.

Does anyone know when the catalogues are being sent out for certain (mine will probably arrive tomorrow after asking that). Things don't always go to plan in the world of model railways after all...

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

This is probably a daft question but are all of the diesel locos been released in 2014? Or will some be released in 2015?

I will definitely be buying DRS Compass 37405 and possibly 20118.

Shame their is no HNRC 20 or DRS 20.

Thank you in advance.

The lack of 20/3 is probably for the same reason why there's no Colas 70. Bachmann haven't got suitable tooling for a 20/3 without modifying it, hence no HNRC or DRS 20. This looks like a year of consolidation for Bachmann (and Hornby) in trying to get back on track (no pun intended) with delayed releases, whilst still trying to appease the masses with at least some new stuff.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps I've missed it ?  - but no further BR Blue Class 40's announced ? Surely there's a big market for them  - especially one of the Haymarket square edged centre headcode versions - requiring just new nose ends to be produced.

They have to keep something back for next year. Once again, it's a tooling change and it looks like Bachmann aren't particularly going down that route this year.

Cheers,

Mick

i dont think we will see any rehash of the current class 20 for the versions mentioned.

the model is surely due for a retool with dcc lighting and perhaps a cab light so i think hnrc and 20/3's will be the preserve of an new class 20 platform....but i dont reckon itll be too long coming now.

how old is the current model of the 20?

the haymarket class 40 i touched on in the crystal ball thread.

Guest Belgian

No need for apologies. Even I make speeling pistakes from time to time :O , but occasionally someone's spelling error just comes across as particularly humourous and I find it difficult to resist the temptation to point it out.

I fear you may have made another one there yourself - one that should read 'pisstakes' I think! :jester:

Guest Belgian

I can bat that one straight off. The announcements for the past few years have been made at the British Model & Hobby Show, which were held in Coventry in March each year. This event staged by another organisation was cancelled late last year due to lack of trade interest. This left Bachmann without its usual “window” to make its announcements. The only opportunity was therefore to move it to the Barwell Open Days which is attended by traders and media as this was the only option. It just happened to be their 25th anniversary.

Thank you for enlightening me Andy. I was trying to put over the view of the 'man in the street' such as I, who have no inside knowledge and have been used to hearing news of proposed models 'at the beginning of the year' (I, certainly, had no actual knowledge or memory of exactly when and where such announcements were made).

I was also trying to express an opinion that some of the 'disappointment' that has been expressed by some posters might well have resulted from past announcements which have often seen a glut of new items and this may have led to over-enthusiastic expectations.

Personally, I am surprised there are as many items still being announced as there are. I think we all owe the manufacturers a huge 'thanks' for pulling this hobby into the fantastic position we enjoy today (with especial thanks to the three giants who have or are about to move on). If they stopped introducing new models altogether I for one would still have about ten years (or more) of purchases to make from those I haven't yet caught up with.

I was trying to point out that those 'in the know' can seem smug and condescending (as in all walks of life) to those who aren't and was asking them to give us little people a bit more understanding. I should have linked the post to which you were replying to my previous one a page or two earlier. My apologies.

Jeremy English

Mornin' all,

Several of my contacts within this hobby are purely collectors of new, boxed models (no issue with that). The models aren't even removed from their boxes when they arrive, it is enough for the collector just to have ownership of his favourites. The high significance that these guys place on when the next release is due and how quickly they can get their hands on it appears to be mainly based on 'novelty value/fashion'....I've got the latest etc etc. They also seem to have plenty of time to spend on sites such as this. Conversely, the modelling contacts which I have in the hobby are usually less conscious, or even unaware of announcements and are certainly less interested in timescales. This is mainly due to them having so much modelling to do and not enough time to do it in, that one more added to the queue doesn't rate too highly. They spend little or no time on sites such as this.

No surprises here but an interesting study of two seperate sub-groups within the same hobby.

Dave         

Mornin' all,

Several of my contacts within this hobby are purely collectors of new, boxed models (no issue with that). The models aren't even removed from their boxes when they arrive, it is enough for the collector just to have ownership of his favourites. The high significance that these guys place on when the next release is due and how quickly they can get their hands on it appears to be mainly based on 'novelty value/fashion'....I've got the latest etc etc. They also seem to have plenty of time to spend on sites such as this. Conversely, the modelling contacts which I have in the hobby are usually less conscious, or even unaware of announcements and are certainly less interested in timescales. This is mainly due to them having so much modelling to do and not enough time to do it in, that one more added to the queue doesn't rate too highly. They spend little or no time on sites such as this.

No surprises here but an interesting study of two seperate sub-groups within the same hobby.

Dave         

I don't correspond to either group. While I do model, I don't spend my life on it, in fact I prefer spending more time actually running them than modeling. On the other side, I am aware of what is coming out. I do buy across different regions and timescales though the core rest predominately southern BR 1948 until 1995.

I see little point in buying something and not using it. In fact, I find the models rot faster if they are not used. Brass bearings will turn green or black over time and seal themselves on their steel axles. Mazak will slowly to turn white and powdery no matter how pure it is.

Running them occasionally re-injects lost electrons, remixes the grease on the gears, removes thin coats of oxides.

Likewise, at some point in this world, we all have to leave it. What is the point therefore in never running an item? If you don't take it out the box, how do you know that your model is actually perfect? A fair degree of models have various flaws, many come with bits fallen off.....

When I was young I did think the same way, found the value never went up and on top of this, they took up space and I never got enjoyment from them. Sooner or later some disaster will hit your models like a flood or something. 

I run mine, maybe not excessively to wear them out but still give them a run from time to time. Even after one year of non running, a model will become quite stiff so some exercise is actually good for them and essential if anyone really wishes to preserve the model.

• RMweb Gold

Bit late to this topic, but here we go.

It seems that the 1F is due to go to production soon. I'd always assumed that the 64xx would come after this, and it seems the news from Barwell bears this out.

Would my assumption that the 64xx is about a year away be about right?

If so, there's some other 'toys' I'd like to get in the box.

Ian

Mornin' all,

Dave

if your first bunch of contacts are collectors then im not sure youre misreading the reasons behind their must have purchases.the true collector doesnt strike me as the sort of person that buys for novelty or fashion. the two just dont seem to go hand in hand. im not saying there isnt a group that dont fall into the novelty or fashion purchaser group but i wouldnt confuse or blur the lines between these two distinctly separate groups with totally opposed aims.

in this day and age i also struggle to believe that there are groups of modellers out there who are so all consumed in tgeir existing modelling projects that they dont have at least one ear to the ground keeping up with advances or new releases etc. even i tend to keep in regular touch with the latest goings on and i class myself as a first class techno luddite.

• RMweb Premium

Harking back to my earlier exchanges with Weatheingman I noticed that 81C has disagreed with my posting, to date I don't think he has ever agreed with anything I have posted. However 81C has never stated why he/she disagrees. I do not mind being corrected or exchanging views as with Weatheringman and Stationmaster on the subject of the 47xx. I would rather 81C not post any kind of response to my postings unless they are backed up by a reason, but I guess some people just do not want to join in conversations.

• RMweb Gold

if your first bunch of contacts are collectors then im not sure youre misreading the reasons behind their must have purchases.the true collector doesnt strike me as the sort of person that buys for novelty or fashion. the two just dont seem to go hand in hand. im not saying there isnt a group that dont fall into the novelty or fashion purchaser group but i wouldnt confuse or blur the lines between these two distinctly separate groups with totally opposed aims.

in this day and age i also struggle to believe that there are groups of modellers out there who are so all consumed in tgeir existing modelling projects that they dont have at least one ear to the ground keeping up with advances or new releases etc. even i tend to keep in regular touch with the latest goings on and i class myself as a first class techno luddite.

True collectors are, I suspect, relatively few in number and are usually very, very, single minded - thus Hornby R number collectors simply want one of each R number to keep their collection 'pure' and complete.  Bachmann collectors will follow a similar course.  And very few collectors other than the very wealthy can afford to collect more than one main range and perhaps one smaller range.

What  the hobby has seen a lot of in recent years are what I call 'acquirers' - they buy one of everything they fancy just because it's there and they can buy it.  This market is the one likely to suffer hardest from the recession and tightening of belts etc as people get more careful with their disposable cash, the real collectors have generally been of sufficient means to avoid the impact of the recession if what I have seen in sale rooms is any guide.

Having missed all the hype that many of you seem to have heard about the Bachmann announcements (where was it hyped up? Not on here or in the mags, that's for sure!), and knowing times are hard in China, I wasn't expecting many new items this year.

But I'm pleasantly surprised, I'll be having a few of those 90s please!

The other thing that amazes me is how fickle and strange some modellers can be. Bachmann announce a price rise and many people on this site are suddenly saying they will be buying less or nothing at all. Bachmann read this forum, which has been confirmed by Andy Y, and have obviously taken on board some of what has been said. Modellers say they will buy less because it's more expensive, Bachmann produce less as they can see it won't sell as much, then modellers complain that Bachmann haven't made loads of new models available!

Sorry to those complaining, but you have brought this situation upon yourselves. Bachmann as a business are responding to the market - YOU.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Are the people saying they will buy less because the price has gone up, the same people who are saying there isn't much on offer?

I very much doubt it somehow.

A market is made up of many individuals with different motivations for purchasing or not. It just isn't credible to suggest that because A said this, and B said that, that A has brought it on everyone else.

• RMweb Gold

Are the people saying they will buy less because the price has gone up, the same people who are saying there isn't much on offer?

I very much doubt it somehow.

A market is made up of many individuals with different motivations for purchasing or not. It just isn't credible to suggest that because A said this, and B said that, that A has brought it on everyone else.

Everyone has a budget, however large, and that influences buying decisions. At some point, almost everyone will decide that they don't like/want item x enough to pay the price being asked because it wouldn't leave enough for item y which they really want.

I haven't bought much recently simply because there hasn't been very much I want. As a result prices haven't yet become an urgent issue for me. 

However, I am certain that, at some point, I will forgo models I would like but which don't fit my main interests in order to afford those that do.

I have already begun practicing this because, in my case, space is already more of a problem than money.

John

• RMweb Gold

True collectors are, I suspect, relatively few in number and are usually very, very, single minded - thus Hornby R number collectors simply want one of each R number to keep their collection 'pure' and complete.  Bachmann collectors will follow a similar course.  And very few collectors other than the very wealthy can afford to collect more than one main range and perhaps one smaller range.

What  the hobby has seen a lot of in recent years are what I call 'acquirers' - they buy one of everything they fancy just because it's there and they can buy it.  This market is the one likely to suffer hardest from the recession and tightening of belts etc as people get more careful with their disposable cash, the real collectors have generally been of sufficient means to avoid the impact of the recession if what I have seen in sale rooms is any guide.

I don't believe that buying things that are freely available new makes anyone a true collector, however much stuff they amass.

The real joy of collecting is surely in the hunt. 

A while ago, I started collecting diecast buses, coaches and trucks to specific themes. Most of what I wanted had long since been and gone from the shops.

I had a couple of very enjoyable years tracking down what I wanted via the web, in obscure back street shops that might just still have one and by visiting collectors fairs.

Having cleared my original list, I still add appropriate new items to my collection but I don't consider myself a real collector any more.

John

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe that buying things that are freely available new makes anyone a true collector, however much stuff they amass.

The real joy of collecting is surely in the hunt. 

A while ago, I started collecting diecast buses, coaches and trucks to specific themes. Most of what I wanted had long since been and gone from the shops.

I had a couple of very enjoyable years tracking down what I wanted via the web, in obscure back street shops that might just still have one and by visiting collectors fairs.

Having cleared my original list, I still add appropriate new items to my collection but I don't consider myself a real collector any more.

John

It works both ways John - those I have known, albeit only a handful, collecting R numbers who were doing both, buying current stuff to keep the collection complete and hunting out earlier items for the same reason.  Many stamp collectors also buy new issues for the same reason and it is the practice in other collecting hobbies I'm aware of although fortunately, from my perspective, UK train operating companies don't appear to issue postcards and I'm sure that if they did they wouldn't be a patch on Pre-Group ones although they might be cheaper than many of those.

• RMweb Premium

The couple of collectors I know refer to themselves as completists.

Sure, they enjoy the hunt for the rare item but they would actually like to have one of everything.

One chap got to the stage where he had got hold of every item known to exist and as what he was collecting was no longer made, his interest ended and he just stopped and sold the lot.

It is an interesting hobby in its own right but coincidentally, they both also build layouts and kit or scratchbuild many models for themselves as well.

Tony 

• RMweb Premium

I can respect 'collectors', but my belief is this: If it was built with a motor, it was made to be used.

I agree and I enjoy seeing things like Hornby O gauge tinplate or Dublo layouts at exhibitions, where they are doing what they were made to do. Collectors who don't even get the stuff out of the boxes so it remains "mint boxed" I can just about understand but it isn't something I would want to do.   

I agree and I enjoy seeing things like Hornby O gauge tinplate or Dublo layouts at exhibitions, where they are doing what they were made to do. Collectors who don't even get the stuff out of the boxes so it remains "mint boxed" I can just about understand but it isn't something I would want to do.

Were they designed to make a constant racket....?

Each to their own I guess....I was in the Lima collectors club for a bit, and for a while collected lots of lima oblivious to the fact most of it was cheap plastic Italian tat, but I enjoyed it and that is the overriding principle.

Pleased to see the much requested BR blue 47/0, 47001 doesn't have a headlight, and is the marker light recessed panel job. Means my existing three can be domino versions without me hacking bits out.

£119 according to Bachmann website, discounted I expect around £100. I still think that's pretty decent value especially compared with the German stuff. I'll have three please for re numbering.....

Archived