Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Now that the front of the loco body was firmly located I did some fine tuning to get it straight and level. Then I moved on to the rear mounting height. I ended up cutting new sides for the firebox.

post-6675-0-13949800-1412544961.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris looking at the cab/backhead assembly and thinking slightly ahead to the pipework and cab fittings I wonder if it might be useful to fit the raised sections of cab floor tp teh side and front sheets so they go onto the footplate all in one piece?  That way the pipework and cab fittings would attach as part of it as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Will you need to extra weight in the tanks, or is the loco heavy enough to shunt a couple of trucks as it is ?

I've not weighed it yet but it's certainly not a lightweight loco. It will have a nice amount of lead stuffed in the tanks.

• RMweb Premium

Chris looking at the cab/backhead assembly and thinking slightly ahead to the pipework and cab fittings I wonder if it might be useful to fit the raised sections of cab floor tp teh side and front sheets so they go onto the footplate all in one piece?  That way the pipework and cab fittings would attach as part of it as well.

I'm thinking along the same lines Mike. I'm not going to refit the cab rear sheet or do the bunker rear just yet so that I can get access for the iron.

• Like 1

Are you going to be permanently attaching the cab roof?

If you fit parts of the floor to the front and sides of the cab you're going to have difficulty painting the interior of the cab unless the roof is removable.

My preference would be to fix the roof permanently, because it will look tidier, and fix the floor to the footplate which will help locate the cab in the correct position.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you fit parts of the floor to the front and sides of the cab you're going to have difficulty painting the interior of the cab unless the roof is removable.

My preference would be to fix the roof permanently, because it will look tidier, and fix the floor to the footplate which will help locate the cab in the correct position.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes the cab roof will be fixed. The raised parts Mike mentioned don't cover the whole cab floor, just two corners. I have a plan...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope this makes sense.

I can see the sense in fitting the floor (if you mean the two raised sections) to the footplate for the reason you suggest but I think it will make it far more difficult to do a lot of the cab fitting, especially the pipework which not only goes through the floor but also across it from the injectors to the clacks.  Apart from the handbrake and another item (I'm not sure what it is to be honest) on the backsheet there are only a few things on the low part of the cab floor - just the springs and damper handles.  And the spring on the Driver's side is in any case surrounded by the raised section of floor.  Everything else including the reverser stand, draincocks lever and sander lever are all on the raised part.

And the raised shovelling strip would seem like a useful locating guide, albeit in only one plane, for the raised floor section on the Driver's side.  But then I'm not building it!

I can see the sense in fitting the floor (if you mean the two raised sections) to the footplate for the reason you suggest but I think it will make it far more difficult to do a lot of the cab fitting, especially the pipework which not only goes through the floor but also across it from the injectors to the clacks.  Apart from the handbrake and another item (I'm not sure what it is to be honest) on the backsheet there are only a few things on the low part of the cab floor - just the springs and damper handles.  And the spring on the Driver's side is in any case surrounded by the raised section of floor.  Everything else including the reverser stand, draincocks lever and sander lever are all on the raised part.

And the raised shovelling strip would seem like a useful locating guide, albeit in only one plane, for the raised floor section on the Driver's side.  But then I'm not building it!

Taking things a bit further then. How about fixing the backhead to the cab floor as well?

Apologies to Chris for this debate about how to build his kit. It just goes to show that we all have different ways of doing things.

• Like 2

I pretty much always fix the backhead to the cab floor, as it allows all the detailing and pipework to be completed, and the crew fitted, and then it just slots in.

post-20369-0-71062800-1412591167_thumb.jpg

obvioulsy a bit easier in a tender loco, but the principle's the same.  Few more details to add to this one...

(it also needs to be sitting flat on the footplate)

best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking at photos and have noticed all the fixtures and fittings that are attached to the cab sheets, backhead and floor...

My cunning plan, which obviously depends on me being able to accurately cut metal, is to produce a copy of the front cab sheet which fits inside the cab. This would be fixed to the footplate along with the backhead. It should help firmly locate the cab and tank assembly and strengthen the flimsy cab a little. As I said it will depend on my developing metal bashing skills for it to work! Watch this space.

Taking things a bit further then. How about fixing the backhead to the cab floor as well?

Apologies to Chris for this debate about how to build his kit. It just goes to show that we all have different ways of doing things.

Please discuss away...

• Like 3

I've been looking at photos and have noticed all the fixtures and fittings that are attached to the cab sheets, backhead and floor...

My cunning plan, which obviously depends on me being able to accurately cut metal, is to produce a copy of the front cab sheet which fits inside the cab. This would be fixed to the footplate along with the backhead. It should help firmly locate the cab and tank assembly and strengthen the flimsy cab a little. As I said it will depend on my developing metal bashing skills for it to work! Watch this space.

Please discuss away...

Sounds like a good plan to me.

As cunning as a fox that's just been made Professor of Cunning at Oxford University. :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Crunch, munch. I can honestly say that the Agenoria 1366 kit is the best 7mm loco kit I've ever made. Crunch, munch.

But not the best 7mm kit you haven't made yet. I will be interested to see how Jim's O2 compares with this.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Crunch, munch. I can honestly say that the Agenoria 1366 kit is the best 7mm loco kit I've ever made. Crunch, munch.

I believe that it is your first 7mm kit, so it might also be the worst ever 7mm kit you've ever built. Of course you may have put some American tinned meat products on wheels, that may or may not be to 7mm to the foot.

• RMweb Premium

I pretty much always fix the backhead to the cab floor, as it allows all the detailing and pipework to be completed, and the crew fitted, and then it just slots in.

attachicon.gifcab.jpg

obvioulsy a bit easier in a tender loco, but the principle's the same.  Few more details to add to this one...

(it also needs to be sitting flat on the footplate)

best

Simon

Some great detail on the backhead there Simon. 

Here's your chimney comparison Chris.

post-12902-0-61203400-1412628549_thumb.jpg

Lionheart 74XX on the left. 9.5mm diameter.

Scorpio 14XX on the right. 8mm diameter.

Comparing the heights is difficult due to the tank casing on the pannier, but measuring from the tops of the smokeboxes they are both 23.5mm tall.

Hope this helps.