Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Here's your chimney comparison Chris.

attachicon.gifDSCF3195.JPG

Lionheart 74XX on the left. 9.5mm diameter.

Scorpio 14XX on the right. 8mm diameter.

Comparing the heights is difficult due to the tank casing on the pannier, but measuring from the tops of the smokeboxes they are both 23.5mm tall.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kev. 

The one on the right looks a pig to build...

• Like 1

Thanks Kev. 

The one on the right looks a pig to build...

The Scorpio kit was a challenge. Its had the paint stripped ready for future work, the camera flash makes it look a lot worse than it really is. All it needs is a good scrub with some Bar Keepers Friend.

• RMweb Premium

Ok, I'm now completely confused. Below we have a photo taken of three chimneys I have.

post-6675-0-33876000-1412631043.jpg

Left we have the oval, variable diameter casting supplied with the kit. It's too skinny.

Middle we have (thanks Simon) a casting from the CPL kit which matches the diameter on the drawing but the base looks odd compared to the drawing and photos.

Right we have one from Warren Shephard which he insisted would be right but it is indeed marginally too fat. I thought Warren said it was a 14xx casting but it looks too wide for that, especially when compared to Kev's photo and measurement.

I've previously been told that a 54xx or 64xx chimney should do the job and the 74xx one on the RTR item measured by Kev is, the right diameter according to the drawing.

The chimney is a big part of the look of a loco and I want to get it right.

• Like 1

The base of the middle one looks odd because some of the bottom should be hidden by the tank casing. Hopefully this is clear in the photo below of my 74XX. If I remember correctly you've been placing the chimney on top of the tank casing, when on the prototype it protruded through a hole.

post-12902-0-79412800-1412632018_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The base of the middle one looks odd because some of the bottom should be hidden by the tank casing. Hopefully this is clear in the photo below of my 74XX. If I remember correctly you've been placing the chimney on top of the tank casing, when on the prototype it protruded through a hole.

attachicon.gif74xxchimneydetail.jpg

Yes, Warren mentioned the hole/casing issue. The gap around the casing on the 1366 is tiny though:

post-6675-0-05960700-1412632610.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Warren mentioned the hole/casing issue. The gap around the casing on the 1366 is tiny though:

That's good. Fixing the chimney on top of the casing should be fine then.

The middle chimney should look about right with some of the bottom removed.

Permission requested to be fed up with GWR dock tanks. Roll on Christmas and the O2...

You've almost persuaded me to get one for myself. They had two 1366s at Swindon during the period I model and I'm sure they escaped the works occasionally.

• RMweb Gold

Permission requested to be fed up with GWR dock tanks. Roll on Christmas and the O2...

You can be fed up but I don't see how you can give up on the kit. I think you have to see it through. Although you could suddenly annouce you have seen the light and are going either 2mFS or 16mm NG in the garden.

Don

Kev

When I've finished my King, I'll be setting about the CRT kit for the 1361 ST. I built the 1366 some years ago, and there were lots of problems, similar to, but different from, those in the current thread.

The 1361 kit shares some parts with the 1366, but was purchased somewhat later, it looks rather better, so hang in there and see how it goes together. It may be that the CRT kit I had was from the point when Robert Tivendale had just taken them over and things may have improved. If so, you could consider one of them.

Otherwise, I suspect Chris' advice is sound, etches only...

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

You could try putting the spigot in a drill chuck and using files reduce the casting at the base of the chimney a bit, to improve the look of it. Best of luck with whatever route you choose to take, it's turning into a fine model.

Edit. I should have mentioned that I was on about the centre chimney, sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Like 1

Actually, being fed up is ok. At this point, you know what you've done is as good as it can be, and you're sick of the sight of the thing.

Put it away, for a week or two, otherwise, I suspect that like me, you'll risk doing a "that'll do", when if you were not getting impatient, it wouldn't do at all.

Go and build something completely not rolling stock like an outside urinal or a working ground signal, or whatever - ideally simple, short term and provided with adequate info to prevent the same feeling recurring. Fresh back from that little foray, you'll whizz through the remainder of this, and possibly do a better job of it.

HTH

Simon

• Like 1

Ok, I'm now completely confused. Below we have a photo taken of three chimneys I have.

attachicon.gifrps20141006_222946.jpg

Left we have the oval, variable diameter casting supplied with the kit. It's too skinny.

Middle we have (thanks Simon) a casting from the CPL kit which matches the diameter on the drawing but the base looks odd compared to the drawing and photos.

Right we have one from Warren Sheppard which he insisted would be right but it is indeed marginally too fat. I thought Warren said it was a 14xx casting but it looks too wide for that, especially when compared to Kev's photo and measurement.

I've previously been told that a 54xx or 64xx chimney should do the job and the 74xx one on the RTR item measured by Kev is, the right diameter according to the drawing.

The chimney is a big part of the look of a loco and I want to get it right.

No 2 for my money trimmed up.  The original is the worst.

If you zoom in on the centre chimney, you'll see that some years ago, it was in my lathe, and still bears the tool marks...

At that point, I turned a new brass one to match, which is what's fitted to my 1366.

Best

Simon

Have you considered ABS?  Adrian is a frequent if grumpy poster on RMW under the adrianbs name.

Adrian Swain on +44 (0)1202 672 891

The Zero Zephyr kits would seem to offer several possibles in whitemetal, eg 850, 2021, 1366 but as I understand it, no production for many years.

• RMweb Premium

Have you considered ABS?  Adrian is a frequent if grumpy poster on RMW under the adrianbs name.

Adrian Swain on +44 (0)1202 672 891

The Zero Zephyr kits would seem to offer several possibles in whitemetal, eg 850, 2021, 1366 but as I understand it, no production for many years.

Thank you for the lead. I've sent Warren Shephard a dimensioned drawing to see what he has and there's another promising offer in the wings from a Coventry FC supporter...