A sleepy Westcountry harbour scene (fictional)

Marcuspaints

Well, I discussed my ideas on this thread a couple of weeks ago ... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86672-criticisms-for-my-new-layout-please/ and, having received a couple of very sensible suggestions, made a couple of changes that ended up with my final paper plan looking something like this...

layout7_zps9c3f7766.jpg

I immediately got going with the baseboard and laid a foam trackbed as a bit of an experiment, as I've never used it before, and have to say so far it seems to do the job well. The whole baseboard is nice and light and can be popped away under the stairs when the space is needed in the lounge for family matters. :)

Baseboard-1_zps757449d3.jpg

I then got into the somewhat complex job of laying the track and wiring it up, which was fun as I'm a bit out of practice with that side of things but thankfully it all seems to work ! I've gone with an analogue layout and have ensured that all sidings have isolated sections to ensure plenty of scope for visiting locos  and lots of shunting... So, I'm now at this stage and just taking a short break while I work out (First) what the next step will be and (next) what form of control I'm going to use on the points. All turnouts have slots cut under them ready to fit whatever system I decide to go with...

So here is where I am now and hopefully I'll be keeping this up to date as I move forward   Any ideas from anyone very welcome as it's a long time since I've been building a layout and no doubt I'll need to be picking brains... :)

Baseboard-2_zps979906c7.jpg

Thats a great idea, might be worth looking at old photos of harbours. Having gone to Mevagissey last year and looked in at the old boat yard which is the museum now these places have plenty of charm. There is one photo of the sail lofts http://www.mevagisseymuseum.co.uk/musexhibits.html on here, They are now pubs, restaurants etc. Another with old fishermen in front of houses. These houses up steep and narrow roads/paths still exist, as do the buildings which have been altered to their new purposes.

I guess there are plenty of other locations around.

Luckily I live down here in Devon so research is nice and easy for me to do and Mevagissey has always been one of my favourite spots. .. In fact I live a stone's throw from the sea in a small fishing village myself which makes checking out the prototypes even easier. I'm hoping to get exactly that sort of feel in the three houses in the right foreground which I shall put on an elevated area and which should be a bit of fun in terms of scratch- building, if I can get it right... !

• RMweb Gold

My concern would be the siting of the cattle dock.

Firstly, it will hamper trains arriving and leaving if there are any wagons left at the dock.

Secondly, placing the cattle opposite the platform might be awkward the wind is in the wrong direction.

Thirdly, would there be a cattle dock at a quay side ?

Stu

Not looked at the operational part of the plan until Stu mentioned the cattle dock. I am guessing you have 2 platform faces on the left hand side, the bottom platform goes into a siding, neither siding has a run around. Now a complicated crossing into the bottom platform from the cassette would make an interesting piece of trackwork, and very much like a congested space in a dock setting

I totally take the point about the cattle dock and that will definitely be going...

I've looked at the possibility of a run into the bottom platform and didn't find a workable solution that I liked but the layout has been designed and will be worked on the basis of the station having a resident dock shunter that will take wagons from the incoming loco, into the goods and quay sidings and the short run-around that is shown is sufficient to move traffic and more importantly manoeuvre a brake van easily. I've had a couple of practice runs and it seems to work quite well...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I've now made the surround ready to take the back-scene which is the next job as I am starting to build up the landscape at the back and will need to make sure it fits to the back-scene nicely.

I'm pleased to say now that having checked all clearances that I'm able to get my Dinmore Manor into the headshunt comfortably, as can be seen ,which allows it to run around a carriage should I need it to which is handy to give some more operational functionality. I've not come across any major problems as yet fingers crossed so still battling on.......

14718500366_b37439b14b_o.jpg

Yes the harbour area should be interesting to model, I'm particularly looking forward to getting down that bit... At the moment I'm trying to decide on a station building design but first I need to get the hill at the back sorted, well at least the basic design of it, the fine detail I'll do later on. Great fun, I'm enjoying it ! ..

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly finished doing the basic structure of the moorland area covering the cassette area, using layered sheets of polystyrene covered with the good old plaster bandage  . Not an easy job to get a sense of realism in such a small area but it seems to be coming and using a Woodland Scenic's mould and crumpled foil to do the rock areas helps no end.... I shall put the back-scene on before I start on the undergrowth so that I can ensure it all blends well..

14813626384_5c9a18b90b_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, the plastered moorland area has now been given an undercoat of paint prior to grassing, the trackwork at the station throat has all been ballasted, and the platform constructed out of art-card and installed. I'm now trying to brave myself to attempt sticking the Gaugemaster back-scene onto the plywood background so that I can start grassing all the rear area.... If it's not successful, I may just paint the darn thing myself... :mail:  Onward and upwards !

14782858470_c58d592749_o.jpg

14969524865_97852f2c6d_o.jpg

And now I've popped the backscenes on, really so that I know where I'm going to need to collage some extra detail onto the end pieces to help those blend in with the railway, whereas the back seems to go in very nicely as it is or will do when I pop in a couple of strategic trees and get the grass done.. :smile_mini2: ..

14981138485_d464f008fd_o.jpg

I've started grassing the back area, mainly the bit over the tunnel where I'm trying to get the feel of local moorland with short, sheep-cropped grass and gorse, it's a fiddly job but it's starting to come though there will be more longer grass and tussocks overlayed in some areas... The area to to the left, around the house will be more cultivated with some garden flowers and a vegetable patch, which should be fun to do ! :) ..

14856486820_cda656e5f0_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've not had a great time of late to work on the layout but this is a quick update to show what I have done of late, which is to get the rough design of the goods area laid down and the harbour wall started. Obviously there's a huge amount of work to do there but currently it's just a question getting the feel of working out how to get a small area like this looking reasonably realistic and being able to use it as a shunting layout.  As a bit of a side job I've just put the Ratio Loading Gauge together..  Something of a fiddly job to say the least !  :O

15435438206_123094cdde_o.jpg

Archived