More Southern, Three 7mm West Country's

As a bit of a diversion from the Nelson build, two models that I built some time ago have come back into the workshop for fitting new sound chips.

A3_zps423b66ed.jpgA4_zpsaf98e4fa.jpg

The A3 was built in 1998 and the A4 in 2004 and both started out with straight DC control followed with basic DCC and now up to date with sound. What will be the next big change in control systems?

Have a look at this link which a friend sent me. Blue tooth control from Bachman.

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/williams-by-bachman-big-game-changer-byod

Starting with the A3 the fitting followed the same as the Nelson but will see an additional small speaker fitted to the underside of the loco below the smokebox, unfortunately there is no access to the inside of the smokebox which isn't fitted yet.

A3Chassis_zps1d0a4e90.jpg
Only a small amount of rewiring needed on the loco, with the chip fitted in the tender.

A3Chip_zpsf4848a68.jpg

Simon

With reference to the bluetooth from Bachman, I have chosen to go with Touchcab which you can also use with iphone or tablet. I will try and put a link up later, the app is free or you can buy the all singing and dancing for £5.49 so you can control not only the locos but the signals and turnouts.

Martyn.

PS.   http://www.touchcab.com/

The video clips on the home page gives you some idea of how it all performs.

Well, you had twenty-plus years to buy one.....

I did...just as I had sixteen years to see LOADS of steam engines...and then they were gone.... and I MISSED loads of classes for various reasons.

Same here really....save up for a couple of MF kits, car needs fixing.

Save up again, need new boiler, sdave up again, find another kit I "need" on ebay....and so it goes on....

But will need 42 to build the pair.

Hey.........!!!!!!!!!!

:sungum:

Well done Martin, that's them.

Simon

They come in packs of ten, I wonder a) how many each person would need and b )   what the cost would be to get a pack or two of ten to the UK.

I'd be up for ordering if I could share some of the costs.

Could those who want them please drop me a PM with the required number, saves cluttering up this thread and lets me keep track.

You have about two weeks, (beginning of Nov) before I'm back in the UK, so I'll count up and order after that. Asuming they will do UK delivery....

For costing, I'll come up with a price that includes delivery to each person, but no profit. How's that?

I'm glad I've got my stock of kits and wheel castings ready when I get time.

I'd have 3 of the clamps if you order them Jeff as I'm down to two of the old ones.

Simon

If they come at the right price why not pop them in your range? I could use a few.

I did...just as I had sixteen years to see LOADS of steam engines...and then they were gone.... and I MISSED loads of classes for various reasons.

Same here really....save up for a couple of MF kits, car needs fixing.

Save up again, need new boiler, save up again, find another kit I "need" on ebay....and so it goes on....

Life, eh?  :jester:

This is for Martyn, it's the loco that was hiding under the brown towel.

Manor_zps5c2a932f.jpg

Help needed!

Like the recent Nelson build by Dikitriki my two Nelsons will  also need the 4 feed Detroit lubricator fitted to the back plate.

Unfortunately I've lost some plans for the lubricator, does anyone have plans, drawings etc that I could borrow.

Dikitriki has already given me a very good photo, and the plan is to make the two for the Nelsons and also produce a pattern to go in the Hobbyhorse range.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Very nice, it looks like you have the running gear and boiler done already? I have been tempted many a time to try my hand at either 5 or 7 1/4 inch but as usual life gets in the way.

Martyn.

The Manor is not all my work as I aquired it in 1999. She was built in 1970 as a showcase model and had never been steamed, and was in spotless condition. I ran the loco for five years and then bit began th drop off, one of the many problems was the various water connections between the loco and tender which was copper to copper, that's not good as over time the movement caused the pipes to fracture.

The decision was taken to rebuild the loco from the bottom up, this includes-

A complete replum of all pipe work on loco and tender, with hydraulic connections between loco and tender.

Fit working vacuum brakes

Make new cleading for the boiler and firebox as the old one which was made of tinplate had rusted.

Adjust all bearings and valve gear pins.

Strip and repaint the whole loco.

It's a bit of a protracted rebuild but it's good when the 7mm projects get a bit demanding to have a play with the manor, as its a bit more forgiving.

Final notice for our last open day of the year on the "Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway" it's our Gala tomorrow the 26th.

Simon

Archived