Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Rail Triangles with stations

Kenton

One and only one side? You'd have thought that would be pretty unusual, as putting the platform between the junctions restricts the routes that can be served. Perhaps some freight branch with junctions both ways onto the passenger line would fit the bill.

Can think of some with platforms at only one apex of the triangle (e.g. Reading West, Dover Marine, Inverness at a pinch), but not only one side.

Platforms on one side of the triangle - Jordanhill.

Platforms on two sides - Partick West.

Platforms on three sides - Forres, Rutherglen, Ambergate.

Does Dore and Totley (as it is now) count?

Sorry about the somewhat tight specification - might be able to push double track on one side and through station but station on apex doesn't quite do it (besides I would expect that to be far more common and just known as a junction.

Thanks for the suggestions - a day, or two, pouring over the maps now I think.

• RMweb Gold

Shipley used to have platforms on only 2 sides of the triangle, but now I believe it has platforms on all 3, but I'm unsure as to how many are used now.

• RMweb Premium

Shipley used to have platforms on only 2 sides of the triangle, but now I believe it has platforms on all 3, but I'm unsure as to how many are used now.

The original platforms were on the lines heading to Bradford - the local PTE put one in across the top of the triangle in 1979 (used by trains in both directions so as to avoid the need for a footbridge) and it was such a success than when the lines were electrified a second platform & footbridge was installed.

• RMweb Gold

Kenton, just as a slight variation on the subject, have you considered Buxton Stations? The L&NWR and Midland built two stations side by side at one corner of a triangular junction which led to both company's lines.

• RMweb Premium

Barmouth Junction had platforms on two sides of the triangle but I don't think the third side was signalled as a running line.

Talyllyn Junction had the platforms at one apex with a tunnel immediately beyond.  I think there had also been a platform on one curve a long time ago.

Barnstaple GW ( a terminal station) had a triangle just outside the station. At Newquay, Chester Northgate (both terminal), Savernake and Chasewater they were a bit further away from the platforms. Savernake had the triangle bisected by the line to Swindon. Gloucester had a real mish mash of lines including effectively a triangle.

Earlestown

Earlestown once had two triangles on the same site:

The Liverpool - Manchester - Warrington one.

The Haydock Collieries - Manchester - Warrington one. Long abandoned.

So we have a prototype for bow tie shaped model railway.

Archived