RMweb

OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Golden Arrow exit's Shakespeare Tunnel,a mile off arriving at Dover Marine.

36260972115_31e7901e2a_k.jpgP1266043 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

36260936235_5ef668ed48_k.jpgP1266048 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

Golden Arrow has departed Dover Marine, a few hundred yards,to enter Shakespeare Tunnel,Dover.

36219054606_f5de4b6d27_k.jpgP1266035 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

36219073836_a956596e53_k.jpgP1266028 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 15

I would think that if it is the Golden Arrow version then it will only have the headcodes appropriate for the Golden Arrow. Any other headcode would be wrong :)

Luke

46 is the standard boat train headcode

• RMweb Gold

46 is the standard boat train headcode

But only if running via Herne Hill and Orpington. This was No 1 Boat Train Route. No 2 was via Maidstone East, No 3 Via Canterbury East. And pathways existed via the Catford Loop as well as via Herne Hill. Tides and conditions in the Channel, affecting sailing times, could all influence the route the Arrow took on a particular day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did the Golden Arrow ever run via Redhill ?.

Not with class 71 haulage. The line from Redhill to Tonbridge, which the train would have had to follow, was not electrified until 1993 which is long after the GA ceased operating. Interestingly this route did become a diversionary route for Eurostar trains when they were operating from Waterloo and the normal route was not available for any reason. 

Edited by RFS

Not with class 71 haulage. The line from Redhill to Tonbridge, which the train would have had to follow, was not electrified until 1993 which is long after the GA ceased operating. Interestingly this route did become a diversionary route for Eurostar trains when they were operating from Waterloo and the normal route was not available for any reason. 

Not quite... The power supply upgrade was done on the cheap, so wasn't suitable for anything more than multiple units; even they had restrictions as to how many units could be coupled together, and how many could be between Redhill and Tonbridge at any given time. The main routes for E* were via Tonbridge and Sevenoaks, and via Maidstone East. Tonbridge- Redhill was used as a freight diversionary route, but only for diesel-hauled trains.

I must confess not the most interesting sound chip I have ever heard, I think I can easily live without that one.

Yes, i am agree with you. 

I wonder if the sound is useful for an electric locomotive ... :scratchhead:
Edited by Module00

• RMweb Gold

Not quite... The power supply upgrade was done on the cheap, so wasn't suitable for anything more than multiple units; even they had restrictions as to how many units could be coupled together, and how many could be between Redhill and Tonbridge at any given time. The main routes for E* were via Tonbridge and Sevenoaks, and via Maidstone East. Tonbridge- Redhill was used as a freight diversionary route, but only for diesel-hauled trains.

But surely the electrification was paid for by one of the freight sectors, so they could run Class 92 services? Although how they were then going to get beyond Redhill, through Croydon, to Clapham Junction, where pathways were like gold-dust, was never clear to me. Perhaps I've forgotten something.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC the Tonbridge - Redhill electrification was indeed done "on the cheap" as infill because current supplies already existed at both ends and minimal infrastructure was needed once these had been reinforced. Passenger traffic has usually been light. Tonbridge and Redhill owe little to each other, Edenbridge station is actually in Marlpit Hill while the others serve only small settlements and are some way from the villages named. The business case was built around a need to replace the aged and ailing WR DMU stock, some notional savings by using down-time in the EMU fleet for the electric service (meaning the cost of new trains was eliminated) and the ability to route electrically-hauled freights this way if required.

I don't recall Channel Tunnel freight being in the equation as there may be insufficient power for a 92 and as Ian says where do they then go? Getting a path through the Croydon area is harder than getting a landing slot at Heathrow.

Parcels trains did make use of the route but never the Golden Arrow and it never saw a class 71 on anything simply because they were long gone by the time the juice went in.

• RMweb Premium

But surely the electrification was paid for by one of the freight sectors, so they could run Class 92 services? Although how they were then going to get beyond Redhill, through Croydon, to Clapham Junction, where pathways were like gold-dust, was never clear to me. Perhaps I've forgotten something.

Rfd did indeed contribute to the electrification scheme, however it would in theory it would have only been possible to have one 92 under power between Redhill and Tonbridge. Plus there were issues with immunisation of the signal system on the line.

Redhill was mainly intended for diversionary use for SB1C gauge traffic every four weeks when the Maidstone East was under possession, and obviously when disruption occurred  due to incidents. There was however one booked path IIRC 1145 - 1200 from Wembley which was available, and used for a short while by a trial service to Spain, traffic levels never took off and that died after a very short time.  Normal ferry wagons could pass via any of the routes Maidstone / Sevenoaks / or Redhill.

Has anybody had any issues with theirs derailing over Peco Large Radius Code 75 straight points ?

My blue one has started doing it but my green ones fine. There doesn't seem to be anything obvious causing it either.

I was thinking maybe its the back to back on just the leading wheelset as it only does it at one end but checked it with a code 75 B2B and it seemed OK 

Admittedly it wasn't removed from the bogie but wasn't to sure I could remove it without it breaking something.

Doesn't matter whether its trailing or facing it just jumps of the track and drops into the 4 foot.

Could it be that something is limiting the bogies swing? Or maybe due to the wheel flange itself? 

Running out of ideas on this now so any suggestions are welcomed.

a Much obliged Trailrage.

Things just seem to get more frustrating with this as its now derailing on my 3 foot radius curves.

No super elavation or changes of gradient but the silly thing just goes straight when it gets to a curve ??????????? 

I literally have no idea what could be causing it .

Looks like a strip down may be on the cards for this one.

one confused Trailrage

• Like 1

Things just seem to get more frustrating with this as its now derailing on my 3 foot radius curves.

No super elavation or changes of gradient but the silly thing just goes straight when it gets to a curve ??????????? 

I literally have no idea what could be causing it .

Looks like a strip down may be on the cards for this one.

one confused Trailrage

I know you have probably already investigated this, but it really sounds to me like the bogie movement is being restricted, particularly in the up and down plane, but also possibly any vertical movement when the bogies shift horizontally (I'm not sure I have explained that well). Try pushing each bogie sideways then move them up and down while holding them to the side. Then try the same thing with them turned slightly. See if any components are snagging or raised slightly to prevent the vertical movement. 

I have memories of a Bachmann class 66 doing much the same as you described; there were two mechanisms combining to cause the effect. One was the centre axle being slightly lower mounted than the outer axles (I'll go no further with that because that cannot occur on a Bo-Bo); the second was a small separate fitting on the inner end of one of the inner end of one bogie that was attached too high, so fouled the body side when the bogie pivoted. A file fixed that!

Edit: Sorry. Small kitt en assisting mbe with typing! :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

Pictures, please. (Sorry, off-topic)

An earlier photo of the kind of "assistance" I was getting!

35143924863_8fc6d7acea_b.jpg

36466684791_3289d48072_b.jpg

And a few others to show what they look like.

36443831645_fcf3db340b_b.jpg

36466697551_99bfdfef3f_b.jpg

One-handed typing is not that easy - neither am I good at it!!

36435910772_1e3be0fae8_b.jpg

Edit: p.s. Keep these away from your budgie!  ;)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 9

the signalling is also limiting ,  several  long sections of the line  signalled  with colour light signals  on the home/distant  TCB principle,    the distant signal cannot show a red aspect,  only yellow or green,    this restricts the capacity  of the line

• RMweb Gold

Rfd did indeed contribute to the electrification scheme, however it would in theory it would have only been possible to have one 92 under power between Redhill and Tonbridge. Plus there were issues with immunisation of the signal system on the line.

Redhill was mainly intended for diversionary use for SB1C gauge traffic every four weeks when the Maidstone East was under possession, and obviously when disruption occurred  due to incidents. There was however one booked path IIRC 1145 - 1200 from Wembley which was available, and used for a short while by a trial service to Spain, traffic levels never took off and that died after a very short time.  Normal ferry wagons could pass via any of the routes Maidstone / Sevenoaks / or Redhill.

The signalling immunisation and other improvements didn't happen because it would have needed an additional IECC processor unit and in the end nobody was prepared to pay for it, especially Eurostar who would have borne the larger part of the costs.  Due to congestion, and additional operating costs, it would never have made any sense as a Eurostar diversionary route in any case hence it ended up solely as a Channel Tunnel freight diversionary route as explained above.  Thus Redhill - Tonbridge was never cleared for Eurostars and neither was the mainline down to Redhill from the London area.