Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

I feel like channeling the bard today. 'Much ado about nothing' springs to mind - not exactly nothing of course, this is our shared passion, (which, I see, is catching), but it's neither life and death, nor Horatio's 'toys of desperation' (a morbid lure of the sea in context if you're interested).

We left ridiculous in the rear view mirror a long time ago in in this thread. I won't say sadly, because much of it was witty. I've not had a chance to look at RMWeb since Thursday and was surprised to see 12 pages of not guessing what half of everybody seems to know already and discussing whether Darlington station be charméd or naff, irrespective of whether the trains run upon the hour or at half that frequency.

I respect Andy's position on keeping the lid on the announcement. Locomotion deserve that respect.

The moral of the story seems to be if you want to know what's going on in British outline model railways before formal announcements are made, then you should subscribe to Model Rail. Perhaps Chris might find that comment unfair, unkind or at least uncharitable, and I do accept the very cogent explanations unequivocally and nor do I not ascribe any intent whatsoever, but nonetheless they suggest a trend* in the printers' behaviour (not the editor's) that seems likely to repeat itself at current course and speed.

Perhaps there is an incidental upside that serves to increase circulation and I say that without any sarcasm whatsoever, so please don't infer it.

I don't know what Locomotion will announce later today - I don't have a MR subscription. I've seen a couple of posts here suggesting the 'race to the north' theme. I've long thought the GNR Stirling Single and the LNWR Hardwicke Precedent would make a great set. They have great charm and historical significance - what better representation of the national collection could there be, other than perhaps the dynamometer car used to record Mallard's run.

* Once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, three times, it's enemy action - Auric Goldfinger (Ian Fleming)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

So much pressure generated by this excellent thread that I'm afraid I finally cracked, went into Mr Smith's reading library and picked up a copy of Model Rail, started at the back page cos I thought the ad might be towards the back, couldn't find it, worked my way towards the front of the magazine, got to front page, still hadn't found the ad, looked on cover, noticed it wasn't actually the latest issue...  

A true story. :scratchhead:

I did exactly the same, whilst my wife stood next to me looking at her watch!

• RMweb Premium

This is one area where building a model from a kit or putting a kit chassis under a RTR model can be an advantage.

My LRM LNWR "Jumbo" weighs in at 129 grams (loco only) and still has room for more ballast but so far has pulled anything I have been able to put behind it on London Road or a large circular test track that I owned several years ago. Typically that is a rake of six carriages including a couple of heavy 57' coaches. I think it's down to having a compensated chassis, steel tyres, a Mashima 1124 motor with LRM 38:1 gears, all of which provide s smooth running loco with good adhesion. Decent controllers (Pentrollers and Modelex) probably also help The carriages, all kit built from metal kits have steel axles running in pin point bearings. So a RTR chassis with all the production/cost compromises may not provide such good results.

I don't share you optimism about pre-grouping RTR models creating a lot of interest in modelling pre-group railways. There is still so much, especially rolling stock, that is not available unless you are willing to build your own models. For many people, pre group carriages with their colourful liveries are a step too far. Undoubtedly such RTR locos would sell to those who already have such a layout or those who want something novel, but unless the manufacturers produce period suitable rolling, that is as far as it will go.

I eventually got mine to manage 8 bogie carriages on Narrow Road but it took a bit of fiddling about.

If anybody makes a RTR version that can get close to that I will be well impressed. It would probably have to have traction tyres or a tender drive (ugh!!). 

I eventually got mine to manage 8 bogie carriages on Narrow Road but it took a bit of fiddling about.

If anybody makes a RTR version that can get close to that I will be well impressed. It would probably have to have traction tyres or a tender drive (ugh!!). 

Didn't Hornby use a diecast metal boiler in one of their recent or planned more diminutive locos?  Perhaps that could give some weight.

I feel like channeling the bard today. 'Much ado about nothing' springs to mind - not exactly nothing of course, this is our shared passion, (which, I see, is catching), but it's neither life and death

Well blow me down.....there was me thinking this latest enigmatic release would hold up the birth of my nephew last week and I was even praying that it would have some influence in keeping the grim reaper away from Bob Hoskins' door (RIP) :)

Anyway back to the real world......

They are going to announce all the remaining unmade NRM locos as models, all exclusive through Locomotion at Shildon. Here is the blurb:

Each week a new model will be released, complete with blister pack, poorly written magazine and a naff DVD. First loco, £15, second loco £75, thereafter £150 each.

Collect the whole series and get a free set of O gauge figures with your 10th magazine ( very useful), some N gauge coaches with the 20th issue and finally a 4 metre square display cabinet with your final issue.

Don,t delay, order today, the Bachmann NRM series from local NRM museum at Shildon....

There. I think we will soon all have the loco we want.

Oh and I forget, there is also a choice of welcome gift. Either a 1/4000th scale model of Shildon in a snow glass OR an exclusive NRM perfume for young ladies which will make them smell exactly like a steam engine (you can use it as smoke oil as well).

I have a further feeling that there may be "snow" surprise from Bachmann as well...

(Ok, I'll get my coat.... :locomotive: )

Edited by JSpencer

I eventually got mine( LNWR 'Jumbo')  to manage 8 bogie carriages on Narrow Road but it took a bit of fiddling about.

Hopefully, should we get pre-grouping RTR delights like the Jumbo, the Stirling single, the Stroudley Gladstone, a Large Bloomer, etc. the well proven technique of a tender mounted motor with a drive shaft to the loco wheels might be employed. This enables the drive to be applied in the right place, and the loco to be decently heavy and well balanced for traction; the drive shaft can be near invisible if made in steel wire.

As always with these Super Secrets and Dates for announcements it seems strange that there can be an EMBARGO in place on the internet whilst Subscribers to "Model Rail" can open the magazine to page 131 a full week in advance of the date of said EMBARGO terminating and read an advert placed by"Locomotion" then phone a friend and within 24 hours the whole world except one knows the answer to the Secret.

I personally don't think an LT/ MET 18 Sahra Siddons  in GNER blue will be a great seller.

Yes the T9 has a metal boiler and so too will the 700 Black motor, J15 and I think D16 as well.

The T9 is a fantastic model, just let down by the wires and the fact you need to either reduce or remove the front bogie spring from practically every model for the traction tyres to provide assistance.

Back to thread though, if I had to stick a pound somewhere it would go on either a GNR C1 or C2 - i'm hoping the latter, but I suspect the former will be more realistic if the plan is to release models into the main range at a later date. I guess we will find out in an hour or so though, unless someone spills the beans in the meantime! 

It has been announced via the locomotion Facebook page, but I'm not going to repeat it here for the benefit of those who can't access that, as I think that would still be stealing the thunder somewhat,. The official announcement isn't far off anyhow!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Premium

Just checked to see if the announcement had been made. It hasn't (at this moment), but the game was rather given away by the banner advert at the top of the page...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not what I hoped it would be but my wallet is safe this time...

Yes the emotional side of me was hoping it would be something else, however the practical and realist side recognised from the outset that Locomotions choice was something of a no brainer in the circumstances and will undoubtably be popular with many.

As it's on their Facebook it's now fair game to quote it.

We are delighted to announce that the latest ‘Exclusive Edition’ in the NRM’s “National Collection in Miniature” model railway series will be based on the National Railway Museum’s own Ivatt Class C1 Atlantic Great Northern Railway (GNR) No. 251. 

The OO-gauge model will be available in three liveries – GNR Green, LNER Apple Green and BR Black. It features a heavy boiler weight and has a 21 PIN decoder socket fitted. It also has provision for fitting a sound decoder. Two tender versions are being produced in the form of an original Great Northern Railway and later LNER types. 

The model will be available in late 2014/early 2015 exclusively through the museum’s online outlet at www.locomotionmodels.com.

The Locomotion Models team are now accepting pre-delivery orders on the model of GNR C1 Atlantic No. 251. Please note that the model is limited, and early ordering is advised– please see www.locomotionmodels.com for terms and conditions.

If you would like more information, please contact locomotionmodels.com by telephone on 01388 771439 or email queries@locomotionmodels.com. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

you are right, I excpect it to be very popular, does it not share components with a southern beachy head (I forget the class) also?

Now to start hoping for a prototype HST powercar to complement the APT...