Bachmann NRM/Locomotionmodels.com - GNR Ivatt C1

Except the preserved example all extinct in my period. But that is a very pretty model -Bachmann can really hit the spot when they want too!

Edited by davidw

• RMweb Gold

When I was young it was always said that these locos could never be made in RTR form because of the closeness together of the driving wheels. Looks like improvements in technology and smaller flanges have made it possible after all. Certainly on the real Atlantic the driving wheels are *very* close together.

Looking for clarification here.... pay £50 deposit reserves you the model and pay balance before it is delivered (presumably when it is actually in stock)  - pay £179 gets you free postage and auto sending of item when it is in stock, - in comments above about announcement one person  says it is an EP, however on viewing website says they are in stock -  - Has anyone seen an advised/estimated delivery date ??

Looking for clarification here.... pay £50 deposit reserves you the model and pay balance before it is delivered (presumably when it is actually in stock)  - pay £179 gets you free postage and auto sending of item when it is in stock, - in comments above about announcement one person  says it is an EP, however on viewing website says they are in stock -  - Has anyone seen an advised/estimated delivery date ??

Hi as things stand the model will be released end of this year beginning of next

Thanks

Stuart (locomotionmodels.com)

• Like 1

The major shared element is surely the design of a good mechanism and weight distribution to deliver the perfomance required of the model if it is to replicate the prototype's capability. Which leads to...

... but not if you think of it as the first UK big engine, which is what it was. The 30 square feet of grate, and a boiler with enough volume to allow development to an 18:1 superheater to grate area ratio enabled power delivery quite beyond what its size might lead you to expect. Only the largest of UK 4-6-0 types could match it for power output at express speed. The pointer to the right way to build a high output express loco for UK service.

Ok I guess it is not that small really. However in my opinion, I still find it a lot of money but if it helps preserve the real C1 then that is fine.

It is a loco I have always wanted (testiment to the fact that I have ordered one) however I do think it will do the hobby no good if it every one starts to think it is normal that people will pay £180 for a model express steam loco.

The NRM is great place to bring people into the hobby, while they keep a balance between cheaper starter products and detailed models then I have no issue. 

I have ordered two BR Black versions and am very happy. My DJH 62822 one will now appear on eBay later this week as a buy it now for not a lot of money. One will stay as 62822 and the other will become an LNER liveried model.

Quite frankly it was a superb choice and I am most gratified to the NRM.

Interesting - i'll keep an eye out for it.

Whilst I am happy to see this model in RTR form, I am well aware that it won't pull the skin of a rice pudding so don't think its worth the asking price IMO. I own a D11, and its incline haulage capability is near enough nothing. Truro is better, but not by a great deal (three coaches as opposed to two) - incline is 1 in 40. Its a model i'd have liked to see Hornby have a go at instead, at least then traction tyres might have featured as opposed to not even entertaining the idea a-la Barwell.

Edited by 84A

Actually thought it was going to be more expensive considering how Bachmann prices have gone up.

My only other Atlantic is a Heljan litra P, (preserved one is in the Odense museum in Denmark).  It's the best running commercial steam loco I've got imho. Cost about £120 in 2000, not on Heljan's web site at moment but their nearest loco, a litra E pacific, is 3195 dk which is £339 sterling so £175 isn't so bad by comparison. (Mind you if the pound keeps on getting stronger...)

Edited by railroadbill

Actually thought it was going to be more expensive considering how Bachmann prices have gone up.

It was but I understand all parties worked to look at the prices carefully.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting - i'll keep an eye out for it.

Whilst I am happy to see this model in RTR form, I am well aware that it won't pull the skin of a rice pudding so don't think its worth the asking price IMO. I own a D11, and its incline haulage capability is near enough nothing. Truro is better, but not by a great deal (three coaches as opposed to two) - incline is 1 in 40. Its a model i'd have liked to see Hornby have a go at instead, at least then traction tyres might have featured as opposed to not even entertaining the idea a-la Barwell.

And of course,you have your proof of this for this,I assume,based on your own (.?) and anectodal evidence.Truly amazing....
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I was young it was always said that these locos could never be made in RTR form because of the closeness together of the driving wheels. Looks like improvements in technology and smaller flanges have made it possible after all. Certainly on the real Atlantic the driving wheels are *very* close together.

And this is a point Mike (Stationmaster) made when we gave it the once over with its designer.It is ,you will be pleased to know a truly remarkable micro engineering achievement.The detailed research was open for us to examine and I assure you it is breathtakingly comprehensive.The amount of manhours that have gone into its development are evidenced in the end results.The word impressive is an understatement.

• RMweb Gold

A good compromise between hard bargaining and sound economic sense when you hear the Bachmann team talk of the huge increase in wages in China.

You will get value for your money.

That seems a good decision on all sides then and I would expect orders will flow because of it. . Think it's  an ok price  for what appears to be an excellent model of a historically important locomotive commissioned by a museum. (Well I've ordered a 251 anyway).

Very happy to have just placed my order.

Compliments to Locomotion & the NRM for a) super choice of prototype (please keep them coming) and B) excellent website & checkout process - very clean & VAT free!

Pre-Grouping rules! Or am I showing my age saying that?

(edit) PS where did that funny face in the middle of my turgid prose come from?

Edited by Ronny

• RMweb Gold

That seems a good decision on all sides then and I would expect orders will flow because of it. . Think it's  an ok price  for what appears to be an excellent model of a historically important locomotive commissioned by a museum. (Well I've ordered a 251 anyway).

They already are...good for you

• RMweb Gold

Ok I guess it is not that small really. However in my opinion, I still find it a lot of money but if it helps preserve the real C1 then that is fine.

It is a loco I have always wanted (testiment to the fact that I have ordered one) however I do think it will do the hobby no good if it every one starts to think it is normal that people will pay £180 for a model express steam loco.

The NRM is great place to bring people into the hobby, while they keep a balance between cheaper starter products and detailed models then I have no issue.

If you want something of this quality then you have to be prepared to pay the price or be prepared to miss out,I'm afraid.The hike in costs and market prices is already well documented on this forum

• RMweb Gold

Are there any pre-production models about to show of? I was told on the phone last week that one does exist and is at Shildon :)

Three unpainted on show...one,at least working on the rolling road.One was posed for a shot resting on 251's motion outside..an amazing contrast.

• RMweb Gold

It would be interesting to know if the model is exclusive for a limited time (like the midland compound) or totally exclusive (like the prototype Deltic appears to be)?

The details on the website are sparse.

Andy did a brilliant review of the compound which mentioned a time limit for it, the only mention I have ever seen regarding this info.

R-O-T

Totally exclusive....and when they're gone,they're gone. You want one? Don't hang about.

If you want something of this quality then you have to be prepared to pay the price or be prepared to miss out,I'm afraid.The hike in costs and market prices is already well documented on this forum

Hi Ian,

I fully understand. I personally grew up with the philosophy "better is the enemy of the good enough" or "greatness is the enemy of goodness". If the quality is the same Hornby A4 standard or a King Arthor standard then it will certainly be worth the money.

I suspect most people after a C1 will want this top end quality however other subjects may have broader interest, meaning that Hornby Merchant Navy or Duchess class standard (or slightly lesser,such as no sprung buffers) aimed at the £150 mark would be perfectly adequate. Really popular classes are already covered at the lower end.

My point was that manufacturers need to be (and most probably are)  aware that £180 (or more) should not become the norm for an express steam loco model.

I have ordered one. I did so in the first minutes without hesitation. I just feel we need to keep the hobby accessable, the NRM serves as a good base to bring people into the hobby so as long as we don't scare future new customers away (Hornby after all made it clear that we need to recrute new customers), then that is fine. The German and French markets are now dead in the water because they aimed for Greatness... I would hate to see the same fate in the UK.

I am happy to reach "good" but am also very fortunate to be able to afford "great" and I sympophise and understand with those who cannot and might feel excluded somehow.

Still congratulations NRM on a good choice of loco and hope it brings lots of success.

Rgds John

Edited by JSpencer