Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

The trouble with the Bree and it's sister pub the Duchess of Cambridge is having the stillage in the bar means that on hot days like this past week the beer gets way too warm.

Yes, agreed. Sadly, I believe your problem is now 50% improved. The Duchess (American, German fests and food) has now closed. :meeting:

The Plough, in Station road Taunton, is a small pub serving a variety of ciders ( including Orchard Pigs Maverick mentioned earlier)

I usually call on the way back to the station after visiting Rail-Ex or the SWAG event 

cheers

Yes, agreed. Sadly, I believe your problem is now 50% improved. The Duchess (American, German fests and food) has now closed. :meeting:

tis a shame as that was a great pub. I much preferred it to the Bree.

I haven't fully read this thread as I am looking for an excuse to post so Pub's in the vicinity of my current location, very near the Churnet Valley Railway:

Black Lion Chedddleton:- Freedom lagers and various Real Ales (free House)

Ashcombe Cricket club:- Doombar on tap, always very good

Boat Inn Cheddleton:- Pedigree & Marstons always on tap and very good, sometimes has a 'Marstons' guest! Marstons tied house, good food when served.

Black Lion Consall - pretty much a free house, choice of Ales & Ciders always a good do! Good pub Grub

Railway Inn Froghall: - Robinsons Tied house but normally a choice of Beers and the Excellent menu, plenty to choose from, food is excellent!

Anyone want to pick me up and take me to Froghall???

I haven't fully read this thread as I am looking for an excuse to post so Pub's in the vicinity of my current location, very near the Churnet Valley Railway:

Black Lion Chedddleton:- Freedom lagers and various Real Ales (free House)

Ashcombe Cricket club:- Doombar on tap, always very good

Boat Inn Cheddleton:- Pedigree & Marstons always on tap and very good, sometimes has a 'Marstons' guest! Marstons tied house, good food when served.

Black Lion Consall - pretty much a free house, choice of Ales & Ciders always a good do! Good pub Grub

Railway Inn Froghall: - Robinsons Tied house but normally a choice of Beers and the Excellent menu, plenty to choose from, food is excellent!

Anyone want to pick me up and take me to Froghall???

Black Lion, Consall - with trains too.

Great stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Andrew

Yes we have had a few on spillage that weren't their best on a warm day but there's still plenty on hand pull from the cellar.

The Boltmakers is a superb small traditional pub serving Timothy Taylor Ram Tam. A must if in Keighley.

Edited by roundhouse

To cross pollinate this with railways.....

This weekend sees the second Epping and Ongar Railway's beer festival. Starts Friday Aug 1 at 12:00.

More info and beer list here: http://eorailway.co.uk/events/special-events/  We went last year and it was well worth it. There's something cathartic about grabbing a pint and standing on the platform watching the trains. Then again grabbing a pint then riding the length of the railway, refilling, riding again, repeat is a great way to spend an afternoon.

• RMweb Gold

We did the Barrow Hill beer fest a few years ago. That was a superb setting with barrels lined up on racks in front of many well known locos in the roundhouse.

There quite a few beer festivals held a preserved railways which is a good way to enjoy both hobbies.

Of course not forgetting the working railways and decent pubs on station platforms such as those at Stalybridge, Dewsbury, Huddersfield etc but best avoided at weekends now that James May and co made that day trip famous   now spolied by those just doing it to get Pi55ed  (which I am sure they didnt intend to).

On a very warm day a bottle of Sam Smith's IPA goes down a treat.

I think my favourite beer of all was Timothy Taylor's Porter, which regularly appeared as a guest beer at the Fox & Newt in Leeds in my student days, and which I've not seen since. Like Landlord too, but it doesn't always travel too well.

• RMweb Gold

For warm days I like a chilled cloudy wheat beer such as Heogarten.

Even better when in the States they will serve a cloudy wheat beer with a slice of orange which just gives it a nice edge. Reminds me of a trip back in the mid 90's when we sat on a balcony in the Crescent City brewery overlookng Jackson Square in New Orleans drinking their wheat beer on a very hot day.

Ok cloudy wheats / wit biers, weissbiers etc are an acquired taste but once you are used to it they are rather nice and refreshing.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

2000+ Been there, done that, got the beer list. It has now grown into the Delirium Village. The original basement cafe now has a tap room upstairs, the hoppy loft on top, the Trappist bar next door, the Floris bar across the lane, and another late bar at the end of the lane. Not to mention the Little Delirium on the other side of the Grande Place.

Damn. Need another visit. Suffering withdrawal.

Had the huge frustration of visiting Brussels for eight hours last Thursday and not managing to visit any bars. Indeed, I did not even get out of Midi station.

Had the huge frustration of visiting Brussels for eight hours last Thursday and not managing to visit any bars. Indeed, I did not even get out of Midi station.

My sympathies. Midi is a wasteland for bars now. Only Sams left. However...... if you venture out the doors on the west side of the station along Place Victor Horta by the taxi rank, there are several decent cafes with good selections of beer. Never venture out the east side of the station though.

• RMweb Gold

My sympathies. Midi is a wasteland for bars now. Only Sams left. However...... if you venture out the doors on the west side of the station along Place Victor Horta by the taxi rank, there are several decent cafes with good selections of beer. Never venture out the east side of the station though.

Even the Ibis hotel next to Midi has a few on tap although not as good as it used ot be since htey 'jazzed' up the bar.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a shame. On my last visit to Brussels (about 25 years ago) I recall there being some good bars on the east side of the station. Presumably swept away by new development.

That's a shame. On my last visit to Brussels (about 25 years ago) I recall there being some good bars on the east side of the station. Presumably swept away by new development.

These days Midi/Zuid and the surrounding area is a crime hot spot. The only relatively safe(er) area is the Victor Horta. The east side of the station is very scary. Mugging and bag thefts along there are rife.

Normally if we are staying in Brussels its straight out of there to Centraal. If catching a Thalys or on return to London we wait in one of the Victor Horta Place cafes and not in the station itself.

I shall be spending a week or so in Sidmouth imminently.  During my stay I intend to check out the real ale and will report back on return provided that I still have some brain cells.

Let me be clear that my search will not embrace the disgusting substance that British chemists brewers have the gall to call lager.  The name comes from the German word meaning "to store" and the proper stuff found in mainland Europe tends to have taste and flavour, commodities for which one looks in vain in the typical British product.  The latter appears to require no skill in manufacture and I feel sure that the product could be replicated by a six year old with a half decent chemistry set.

Chris