The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Just the one bottle from me last night - I've got a fitness test to prepare for soon! William Bros Brewing Co's very fine Caesar Augustus Lager / IPA hybrid.

But my favourites this month have been Harbour Ales IPA & Amber Ale, St Austell's Tribute and Korev (lager) and rather surprisingly Sharps Atlantic Ale - Since the Molson Coors takeover/Selling of Doombar everywhere I'd rather gone off Sharps in recent times, but after finding Atlantic in a fine pub in Brixham last weekend that's changed it for me - I think it replaces Cornish Coaster as the most drink or should that be Sinkable Beer they produce!

It's also rather clear to where I've been spending time again this summer ;)

Edited by surfsup

Apologies if the following suggestions have been made - only just noticed this 7 page long thread!

If you're ever in Sheffield - the Blake Hotel in Walkley is a fantastic pub. Re-opened a few years ago, its quite quaint but clean and well looked after at the same time. When I first visited my repertoire was extremely limited, being more often found in the bar at the union or a Weatherspoons-esque establishment, however this pub has helped in my education. It has a frequent cycling of guest ales, some local, some further afield. Some of my older friends know it as their Whiskey pub, and my housemates prefer the slightly obscure cider offerings. There's something for everyone! Unless you're after a meal... or Carling...

If you're on Dartmoor - the Ring of Bells in North Bovey. Traditional thatched pub, good food, friendly staff and a limited, but sufficient supply of local beers and ciders.

My favourite beer - I've not tasted it in a long time, but Snowdonia Ale from the Purple Moose Brewery in Porthmadog kick started my enjoyment of Ale. I've not found anything quite as good since. When my Dad realised I like it, he hid his remaining supplies! There's an unopened bottle on the ceiling of the pub frequented by my hockey team in Sheffield, but somehow I don't think they would let me have it.

• Like 1

I've not forgotten about my report on beer in Sidmouth, just where I put my notes.

Meanwhile, having been "tidying" the hovel this afternoon and worked up a sweat, I reached randomly and uncharacteristically for a bottle and found Phipps NBC India Pale Ale - "a bottle of history in your hand".  At 4.2% it is very tasty and worth seeking out.   Phipps was a brewery in Northampton now long gone.  This brew was made in Oakham, presumably following the Phipps recipe.

Now to relax and watch that nice Mr Portaloo travelling in Italy ...

Chris

The antithesis of this thread: the world's most "popular" beers:

10. Coors Light .... Molson Coors ........... USA
09. Brahma .......... AB InBev ................... Brazil
08. Harbin ............ AB InBev ................... China ............. 2.8 Gl
07. Heineken ....... Heineken ................... Netherlands ... 2.8 Gl
06. Yanjing ..... (The official state beer) .. China
05. Skol ............... AB InBev .................... Brazil
04. Budweiser ...... AB InBev .................... USA .............. 4.4 Gl (2.2% share)
03. Bud Light ....... AB InBev .................... USA .............. 5.1 Gl (2.6% share)
02. Tsingtao ............................................ China

01. Snow ............. SABMIller  .................. China ........... 10.3 Gl (5.3% share)

Prost!

• RMweb Premium

Just taken over the Sample Cellar at the Belvoir brewery in Old Dalby, Leics.

Within spitting distance of he Old Dalby test track, where Serco are currently allowing the test running of the new LU S stock.

I stick to the weaker beers, but our own Star Bitter stood out for me as a smashing pint.

Come along and try some

Regards

Ian

• Like 3

04. Budweiser ...... AB InBev .................... USA .............. 4.4 Gl (2.2% share)

03. Bud Light ....... AB InBev .................... USA .............. 5.1 Gl (2.6% share)

01. Snow ............. SABMIller  .................. China ........... 10.3 Gl (5.3% share)

Prost!

McDonald's sells more "food" and is therefore more popular than the Ivy, but I know which one is better, and which one I'd rather dine at.

As for bad beer, its out there. Oxidised bottles due to poor capping, infected batches, landlords that are impatient and dump too much fining into the casks, poor cellar care, etc that can lead to a normally good beer going bad. Then there are the cowboys in brewing that are only in it for a fast buck. Brupond for example. Came, saw, raised a crapload of kickstarter £££, put out a few badly infected batches of beer, then vanished without a trace.

• RMweb Premium

Prost!

I have been sampling Tsingtao on and off for 30+ years and I don't think it is too bad!

For those interested in the history of pubs, beer and brewing, may I suggest getting a copy of Pete Brown's Man walks into pub, a very good read.

And for something on the stronger side, try Adnam's Spirit of Broadside, a "whiskey" distilled from their Broadside bitter.

Not much of  frequenter of pubs these days.  It strikes me that you need quite a bit of cash on you to feel the vibe as it were.  Supermarket bottles at 3 and sometimes 4 for a fiver such as Tangle Foot, Fursty Ferret, Abbott Ale, Doom Bar and Tribute hit the spot for me.  For a decent cooking bitter try the 4% version of Parkins Yorkshire Bitter from Sainsburys.

I've found my notes from Sidmouth at last.  My apologies if anyone has been seriously inconvenienced by the delay in posting.  Somehow I doubt it.

A third of all the beer consumed in that town on a year is drunk in the first week in August, as are many of the teenagers.   Many of the pubs put in supplementary ale dispensing facilities.  

At Dukes, formerly known as the Marlborough, about eight barrels are placed in the conservatory.  There I sampled Bays Summer Ale (3.9%), which I found remarkably flavoursome for its ABV.  In the garden of the Swan I renewed my acquaintance with O'Hanlon's Yellowhammer (4.2%), one of the finer golden ales around, but was thwarted on my desire to sample Teignworthy Neap Tide (3.8%).  Oh well, maybe next year.   In  the garden of the Anchor, used three times a day for thirst-provoking ceilidhs*, was a modest shed containing about 20 casks and two or three beaming bar staff.  I allowed them to regale me with Flying Scotsman (4.0%, can't recall the name of the brewery), O'Hanlon's Copper Glow (4,2%) which was new to me and which I would happily sup again - oh, and local favourite Branscombe Vale Summa This (4,2%), very drinkable.

The Anchor was also responsible for running the bars at the main concert marquee and the dance tent, opposite the camp site but what seems like several hundred feet more above sea level.  Their best selling ale must have been Caledonian Golden XPA (3 point something I think).  It certainly ticked all the boxes for me.   Other ales were available.

Chris

* ceilidh - same as a barn dance only different.  The caller explains the dance, the band plays and everybody gets it wrong together.

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed this lot over the bank holiday weekend (except the Bass):

attachicon.gifrps20140824_135725.jpg

attachicon.gifrps20140824_181849.jpg

I had a brace of Proper Job whilst in Hayle on Saturday. I see they have taken some of the alcohol out of the Hob Goblin, it was over 5.0% when I first tried it.

• RMweb Premium

Draft Hobgoblin sadly is not what it was. I had one the other day and it seemed sweeter as well. Bottled was always stronger but both have been reduced in strength. Premium ales have been losing strength for years. Victims include HSB (when it was still Gales and again since), Old Speckled Hen and Ruddles County (during the Grand Met years). Possibly Broadside also?

Draft Hobgoblin sadly is not what it was. I had one the other day and it seemed sweeter as well. Bottled was always stronger but both have been reduced in strength. Premium ales have been losing strength for years. Victims include HSB (when it was still Gales and again since), Old Speckled Hen and Ruddles County (during the Grand Met years). Possibly Broadside also?

I think Fullers would happily stop brewing HSB if they could persuade us Hampshire folk  to drink London Pride...they have slowly but surely dropped the vast majority of the former Gales brews from their range in recent years.

I fear I will never taste Festival Mild or Winter Brew again, and sadly not in the now closed Newport Inn at Braishfield for certain :cry:

Edited by Bert Cheese