The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

18 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

2) Dark Landlord. Wonderous smooth bitter. Pick of the box.

E2EDE5DA-E319-486C-A2F6-613158B3BAB8.jpeg.85f90e27a821b75e3c7b88cbb563da1b.jpeg

I strongly suspect that ^^^^ is Ram Ram by another name :yes:

Which, as you remark, is 'reet grand'!

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, rocor said:

These are a few of my favourite things, beer and chocolate.

So presently having a very happy Christmas.

DSCF0702.JPG

Do Robinson's still do their Christmas ale called Scrooge ?

Had the pleasure of a trip around their Stockport brewery some years back.

Enjoy !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 4

b698ffcbc29f98fd47d7a253e30070f2.0.jpg.2534fe613e3f77b45a1c276839b91bdf.jpg

Father Christmas brought me a whole load of craft beers to try. I don't usually buy 'canned craft', not least because they're relatively expensive, so it'll be interesting to see how I rate them.

This is 4.2%, very hoppy (Admiral, Citra {a fave of mine} & Cascade) and remarkably unfizzy.

It's an 8 from me :)

Would I buy it again - YES!

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Do Robinson's still do their Christmas ale called Scrooge ?

Had the pleasure of a trip around their Stockport brewery some years back.

Enjoy !

From their web site I can not find any reference to Scrooge, but then I found no reference to Cheshire Chocolate Porter. It appears that it is specially brewed for Marks & Spencer.

Looking at their bottled beers listed, I think that I maybe giving both Old Tom Original and Kettlehead Choc Stout  a try in the future.

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/shop/collection/bottle-beers/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

It seems so. Renamed to reflect its true origins (its the Landlord recipe but with caramelised sugars) and give it broader appeal 

Moorhouses did something similar years ago with Black Cat Mild; dropped the mild and sales went stratospheric.......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Meanwhile, not one o' mi Christmas beers, but a surprisingly palatable (I may have mentioned this before) dry hopped pilsner from Aldi. Not sure who 'produces it exclusively' for them though:

7677491d32d850e5882bbfa6dab19225.0.jpg.4114d7320465ba66e3ea9cbf3246e87e.jpg

Banks's (now part of the Marstons Empire)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, petethemole said:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6695/336857/

and some other review sites collectively have little information and aren't very impressed.  I've not tried it, I rarely drink lager.

Neither do I, but the fact that it's dry hopped makes it quite palatable. 4x330ml cans for £2.49 makes it a good bet for almost every occasion, except breakfast :)

Edited by leopardml2341
Not too fizzy either
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

A delicious gift from Santa was a box of Mr T Taylor’s finest from Keighley and tonight was a run through the selection (all new brews for me)

1) Boltmaker. A tangy Yorkshire bitter as ale used to be growing up on the Pennines

FCD60E26-9290-4479-AB1C-F901779582ED.jpeg.0086a24807b05e1ee5a0ac86e432415d.jpeg

2) Dark Landlord. Wonderous smooth bitter. Pick of the box.

E2EDE5DA-E319-486C-A2F6-613158B3BAB8.jpeg.85f90e27a821b75e3c7b88cbb563da1b.jpeg

3) Poulters Porter. Deep, dark & handsome with a caramel & chocolate wash

5AD52DAF-30B9-40C9-9E2F-DC744DA4ABFE.jpeg.dc39be01b35656792f7091c78b88566c.jpeg

Bolt maker is the newish name for their standard bitter. It is named after the longest-serving Taylor’s pub in Keighley (near the station) , and that caused a lot of commotion in the other Taylor’s pubs! The Boltmaker pub is well worth a visit for any KWVR visitors, when possible that is!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 88D said:

Bolt maker is the newish name for their standard bitter. It is named after the longest-serving Taylor’s pub in Keighley (near the station) , and that caused a lot of commotion in the other Taylor’s pubs! The Boltmaker pub is well worth a visit for any KWVR visitors, when possible that is!

Ahh, thank you. It explains why it tasted so good, Taylor’s Best Bitter was a favourite tipple when growing up on the Pennines in the 1990s and why I couldn’t find it on their website.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, rocor said:

From their web site I can not find any reference to Scrooge, but then I found no reference to Cheshire Chocolate Porter. It appears that it is specially brewed for Marks & Spencer.

Looking at their bottled beers listed, I think that I maybe giving both Old Tom Original and Kettlehead Choc Stout  a try in the future.

https://www.robinsonsbrewery.com/shop/collection/bottle-beers/

Old Tom Ginger is another favourite of mine and definitely worth a punt.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 88D said:

Is that true, I'm sure I recall them both being sold at the same time?

Also, don't forget The Fleece in Haworth, another Taylor's house.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is that true, I'm sure I recall them both being sold at the same time?

Also, don't forget The Fleece in Haworth, another Taylor's house.

Quite a few houses kept the bitter pump on for a time because they were bitter (ho,ho,ho) about the change of name. 

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, airnimal said:

A sad day for the drinking classes when every pub in the land is closed. Even Hitler and the second world war never achieved that. 

Not quite, the Isle of Scilly are still tier 1 so pubs are open.

Quite an influx of visitors is feared as a result

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/13612582/scilly-residents-blast-selfish-people/amp/

• Like 2

Up until some bunch of Gits infected our county of East Sussex with Covid, IMHO this was the best place to buy good Ale and beer. 
Harveys Brewery, click and collect, go, get it, drive home, drink it. Old Ale is one of my favourites. But there are sooooo many great ones. Up date.....I just found a couple of bottles of Bonfire Boy, that I had squirrelled away and forgot about, must have been from our last Bonfire marching season. I have no idea why they weren’t drunk at the time......

91ADD807-4302-4CEE-BC8A-5D8072B369B4.jpeg.250e4280726c43db5ddd3f83da712f88.jpeg

93CC8088-6706-4820-AA4B-F9D209A89EE8.png.b98e41bec5c3706cdd2cee5333a8339b.png

We have been drinking it and we are steadily getting through it. There are only two of us and this is one of the take away 10 litre barrels. We had around 40 litres in complete total including all the bottles etc, with us buying and through various gifts from family and friends. I should explain that I have an incurable lung disease and have had to be living on my own away from my family for over 9 months and they all shielded for two weeks before Xmas so I could come home for 9 days. So we had a lot of catching up to do.....we have done our best. Happy days. Happy New Year to you all. 

Edited by Grizz
Auto correct
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

Not quite, the Isle of Scilly are still tier 1 so pubs are open.

Quite an influx of visitors is feared as a result

Quite how they are getting there when Penzance (the major point of departure, directly or indirectly) is in Tier 3 meaning even locals must abide by T3 rules and not travel.  The small number of passengers involved would be easily traced to non-Tier 1 addresses is a moot point.  It has long been necessary to enter name and home address when booking online.  Mid-winter the Scillonian ferry does not sail meaning there are no walk-up passengers.  Skybus and the newly restored helicopter link will require your full details before accepting a booking.  

• Agree 1