• RMweb Gold

Hmmm .. makes me realise how much our trackwork needs some realistic weathering!

Cheers mate, it's something which I struggled with when I tried weathering the track on my original OO gauge ELJ, I was using the airbrush and to be honest it was that bad I nearly binned it. So it was a last ditch attempt to salvage what is done using powders that made me stumble across this method which seems to work so well. It's very time consuming but well worth the effort and I love doing it :)

Thanks

Cheers mate, it's something which I struggled with when I tried weathering the track on my original OO gauge ELJ, I was using the airbrush and to be honest it was that bad I nearly binned it. So it was a last ditch attempt to salvage what is done using powders that made me stumble across this method which seems to work so well. It's very time consuming but well worth the effort and I love doing it :)

Thanks

Have you revealed your  'method' in one of your posts? (or is it a secret!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Haha no secret page 60 post #1482 buddy, an if you go back to around page 40 I'm sure there's the method again for the OO gauge weathering, just a mix of various coloured powders and the odd bit of paint :)

Hope that helps :)

• RMweb Gold

Just been reading back through this thread and can't believe it's reached 61 followers and 73 pages so a big thank you to all its very much appreciated :)

Progress is a little slow at the moment as I'll have to order a few more little bits before I can carry on but what I do want to say is I'm so glad I didn't give up on ELJ and this will be my one and only project so here's to another 73 pages :D

Thanks to all once again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Couple of hours today modelling so I set to work on another parcels van an a MK1 buffet, I've added screw links to the parcels but still need to fit them to the buffet,

Excuse me, no screw links on the buffet please, just hook and drop head buckeye will suffice.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Cracking stuff as always PaulOooh you've got a blue Mainline/Replica RBR....!!!!On the hunt for one of those - with some close coupling mechanisms fitted plus flush glazing wont be able to tell it apart easily from Bacchy stock - just done an FO to the same standardsPhil

You should have mentioned it before last weekend Phil, I've got shoals of them.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Excuse me, no screw links on the buffet please, just hook and drop head buckeye will suffice.

Mike.

Good job I haven't fitted any yet, I knew all this fine scale modelling was to intelligent for me :O

As for the wheels I fitted I'm not to fussed on the Alan Gibson wheel sets, they're not happy with one of the points were as everything else I've got runs through fine :(

Cheers

Paul

RE: Gibson's have you checked back to back and made sure the wheel is true on the axle? I have to say that I am not a great fan of Gibson wheels either.

I can very much recommend 'phoning Branchlines. Their wheel range is smaller, but the quality is superb, the bloke is incredibly helpful and they are around the same price as Gibson.

If I want something that Branchlines don't do then I will do the same as many others- pay more and wait 6 months for Ultrascale.

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Gold

Paul

RE: Gibson's have you checked back to back and made sure the wheel is true on the axle? I have to say that I am not a great fan of Gibson wheels either.

I can very much recommend 'phoning Branchlines. Their wheel range is smaller, but the quality is superb, the bloke is incredibly helpful and they are around the same price as Gibson.

If I want something that Branchlines don't do then I will do the same as many others- pay more and wait 6 months for Ultrascale.

Thanks Derek, their loco wheels are ok (for now) the ultrascale are far better and I'll use these on the locos but I thought Gibson coach wheels would be ok but just not impressed. I'll check out Branchlines, haven't forgot about the 37 Derek I'm just struggling to grab five mins at the mo :(

Thanks again

Really nice project, i like it very well. :yes:

Thanks very much :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Don't worry about the 37 at the moment Paul. I haven't got to that point yet. I am still on stage 2 procrastination.

I am going to order a set of Ultrascale (no idea what- I think it's a case of order the wheels and then go out to buy a loco to run on them) and see how they compare.

I've just read Romford do the wheels and cranks for the 08 ,remember it'll need quartering and the guys on the 70's em website added better pickups

Brian

Think you'll need the EM axles aswell

I'd ask someone who's done a conversion to see what's involed ,if it's owt like the 2mm conversion there's a fair bit of messing around involved

Brian

• Like 1

Bri,

Romford wheels are (or at least used to be) self quartering in so far as the have a square axle end :)

EM gauge society has a manual sheet for the job too IIRC.

That does make it easier lol ,ill be interested to see if they fit straight into the chassis without any chassis mods ,do the wheels fit behind the outside frames without any milling ?

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Brian I'll take a look, if it looks complicated though I'll go for the easy option of pop in ultrascale ;)

Cheers

Hi Paul,

I've done a few Bachmann 08 conversions to P4, using Ultrascale drop-in wheelsets, and it's generally pretty straightforward. A couple of bits of advice, though, if you go down this road:

- thin the brake rodding to about half the width of the plastic mouldings, this gives a little more play (not sure how that would pan out in EM, though)

- I replaced all the pick-ups, as I found it very difficult to correctly align the Bachmann pick-ups onto the wider wheelsets. I cut a piece of copper-clad paxolin and epoxied it to the chassis keeper plate, then soldered back-wiper pick-ups from p/b strip. I used the original pick-ups from the central wheelsets to connect the new pick-ups, using a short piece of very thin multi-strand wire to connect each side.

• RMweb Gold

You should have mentioned it before last weekend Phil, I've got shoals of them.

Mike

Only just seen this post mike...sounds like you have cornered the market in them too! Pm sent...

Cheers phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I've done a few Bachmann 08 conversions to P4, using Ultrascale drop-in wheelsets, and it's generally pretty straightforward. A couple of bits of advice, though, if you go down this road:

- thin the brake rodding to about half the width of the plastic mouldings, this gives a little more play (not sure how that would pan out in EM, though)

- I replaced all the pick-ups, as I found it very difficult to correctly align the Bachmann pick-ups onto the wider wheelsets. I cut a piece of copper-clad paxolin and epoxied it to the chassis keeper plate, then soldered back-wiper pick-ups from p/b strip. I used the original pick-ups from the central wheelsets to connect the new pick-ups, using a short piece of very thin multi-strand wire to connect each side.

Thanks Captain I've added extra pick ups on all my 08's anyway in this way so shouldn't be to difficult to adjust them, thanks for the advice just need to order a set now :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Having just looked at Ultrascale's website- £70 is pretty expensive, though no doubt this reflects the high quality and undoubted challenging production process for these wheels.

I think my Gibson 08 set was about 1/4 of that; the Gibson's look fairly good (how they compare when close up to Ultrascale I could not say) but as there is going to be a bit of adjustment when quartering them, I wonder how they will cope given about 1/4 of their wheels so far have been filed in the bin (I understand this is not just me and even really experienced users are saying the same- so I understand).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not much done over the last couple of weeks due to one thing or another but Monday and last night seen the cleaning of the track finished and ELJ was then tested with D5000.

Things ran pretty smoothly apart from a bit of a bumpy ride through one of the points, hopefully nothing that can't be sorted.

BA04F731-7ED8-40E7-80B4-D716F77DB4D1_zps

Even the brake tender got a run out!

718306BB-2AF3-4995-95D8-A2525D0F0F71_zps

FDDA0886-C86B-4677-953D-FAA7746F7179_zps

22D4E58F-D076-480A-BDB6-4C87BAAC4603_zps

Once I've given the 40 a clean all give that a go and see if it behaves just as well.

Cheers

• Like 8