Class 115 DMU's running on LT lines

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I know this is off topic but I can't find another forum for this, does anyone know if it's simple to do a conversion of a Lima Pressed Steel Class 117 into a Derby Class 115 units which ran out of Marylebone and used Met lines north of Harrow on the Hill.

They look very similar and as they ran at the same time as A60's, Metro-Vics, LT Steam as well as BR steam, north of Harrow, thought it might be nice to have a set.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Thanks stovepipe, I planned to use two or three Lima sets to create one or two Class 115's.  I remember sitting in the Neasden traincrew mess room watching them flying past and and having the complete Bachmann Scenecraft Great Central buildings, just got me thinking.

Anyone know if they were tripcock fitted?

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Oops, I deleted my post instead of editing it! Anway I meant to say that actually the Lima 117s have two DMBS (incorrectly) so you would just need to get a TS from somewhere. They may have windows in different locations to the 115s, but it depends on how accurate you wanted to make it.

Edit: The brake section of the 115s were smaller than the 117s, so there is a bay of seats missing in the 117 model.

• RMweb Gold

It would seem that the Class 115 DMBS did have smaller brake compartments and the trailers need work on them as well.  I think a reasonable conversion can be done but it needs time, spare bodies and patience.

Think I need to take a trip to Quainton Road and photograph the their two DMBS's and TCL.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

It would seem that the Class 115 DMBS did have smaller brake compartments and the trailers need work on them as well.  I think a reasonable conversion can be done but it needs time, spare bodies and patience.

Think I need to take a trip to Quainton Road and photograph the their two DMBS's and TCL.

Julian Sprott

Hi Julian

I converted a 117 into a 127 many moons ago. The TCL will need some window pillars moved. I made my TS which were the same on the Marlybone sets as the St Pancras ones buy filling in the toilet window and then cutting out another seating bay. This seating bay is too short because Lima made the loo too small but if you do a cut and shut of 2 TCLs to make the TS then the coach is too long as the other bays are too long. The DMBS had a new seating bay added by cuting out new windows.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69517-class-127-dmu/?p=983296

• RMweb Gold

I think I might just skip this one as it looks to difficult with my arthritic hands to get round.  Might have to seek other options.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Julian

Get a Lima 117 unit and add another centre car, when running around it will be a 115.

Model, noun representation in 3 dimensions of existing person or thing or proposed structure esp. on smaller scale.....Oxford dictionary

When I was in the army we had an officer who would use light coloured stones for our tanks and dark ones for the enemy when planning an attack, a model is a representation. It is up to the "modeller" how close a representation he wishes to make.

Towards the end of the stock on the Chiltern there were several class 108 units used in two car units which were often added to 4 car 115 units. The 108 s are available RTR.

I am also making a 115 and the 117 waterjetter for my layout.

If I recall correctly the Class 108's were all DTS's . I never understood why this was done -was it to release centre cars for the Birmingham cross city services?

Silver Fox do a conversion pack of the two compartment sides required to replace the brake compartment when converting the DMBS to a DMC. You could possibly use it to convert the TCL to a TS.

• RMweb Gold

If I recall correctly the Class 108's were all DTS's . I never understood why this was done -was it to release centre cars for the Birmingham cross city services?

A DfT ruling came in that on services over x hours* duration provision had to be made for access to onboard toilets.  IIRC Marylebone-Banbury was 2 hours by elderly DMU.  If you can find pics from the relevant time I think you'll find each pair of cars of the various classes by then in use, had corridor connections meaning there was access to a toilet from whichever car you were in.  Class 120 cars were also in use in latter days but of course there's no RTR one.

*I think it was 1 hour/60mins but can't be certain.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived