Alstone - OO gauge modern image layout

magic_monkey09

• RMweb Gold

A few pictures of my latest acquisitions, FGW Thames Turbo units alongside my weathered HST. I've read that these are tricky to DCC hardwire so I'm looking to get them professionally done, any recommendations?

They are pretty easy, the lights and motor chassis are the same as the Bachmann 158.  The motor is easy to wire up as it easily accessible and on the lights you unsolder the pick up wires and wire the board to the decoder as per this picture.  On my 166 I've shifted the motor chassis to one of the driving cars which again was pretty easy though the body clips are not a perfect match so you may have to cut some off.  In other driving car I've used an old decoder to run the lights wired as per the power car.

great looking layout, love the cold feel.

nice selection of stock too.

one small thing though, (sorry to be picky) your GSMR mast is way too close to the track, and i know you have the slope of the roof to blame, but I would put it somewhere else where it can be moved further from the nearest running rail.

great looking layout, love the cold feel.

nice selection of stock too.

one small thing though, (sorry to be picky) your GSMR mast is way too close to the track, and i know you have the slope of the roof to blame, but I would put it somewhere else where it can be moved further from the nearest running rail.

Yes it is quite close to the track, I used to have it at the front but I kept knocking it so I moved it over the other side not to damage it as the brass construction bends out of shape quite easily. But i agree it would be more realistic to give it more space.

Great stuff, I don't suppose you've got a track-plan have you?

i'm afraid not . although it is quite simply 4 running lines on a continuous loop with only the one side of the layout having a scenic section. Both curves and the fiddle yard are un-decorated. Also a few sets of points on the scenic side link all 4 lines together.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks great, I've been searching for a FGW based layout on here for a long time, so nice to see one of such a high standard! Where did you get the FGW power cars in the older livery from? They look like the newer Hornby tooling so I'm guessing they're resprays? 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great, I've been searching for a FGW based layout on here for a long time, so nice to see one of such a high standard! Where did you get the FGW power cars in the older livery from? They look like the newer Hornby tooling so I'm guessing they're resprays?

hey sorry Ive only just noticed this post. Yes they are indeed Resprays of the newer Hornby model but good quality resprays. I got them off an ebay seller

hey sorry Ive only just noticed this post. Yes they are indeed Resprays of the newer Hornby model but good quality resprays. I got them off an ebay seller

No worries! I think I know which ebay seller you mean, I remember watching them a while back! They do look great. 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys. Hardly been in the loft all summer. Only just now getting back into it. Ebayed the local lines sprinter and voyager a few months back and one of my dynamic lines turbos that i hardly used. But other than that I haven't done any work on the layout. I'll get a few pics up soon of my fleet on the layout which will be mostly FGW HST's and Arriva units. Thank you for you patience

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

post-5606-0-43803900-1479431805_thumb.jpeg

Having a large clear out of stock at the moment via eBay so have managed to get some

Mojo back whilst being in the loft recently. Here is my attempt at a high density FGW HST set with the new composite type mk3 combined with a mini buffet and one first class mk3.

Plus a pic of a real mini buffet counter.

post-5606-0-13530100-1479432249_thumb.jpeg

Edited by magic_monkey09
  • Like 2