RMweb

And Mick, are you feeling guilty? Return Bitton to "some serious modelling"?.....

Jeff

Sort of.  It all came about because I love sausage and mash.  I have been doing a bit of research on the potato railways of Lincolnshire, especially the Nocton Estate, then I remembered going there to compete in a pig judging competition many moons ago.  Thats when I started dreaming of days gone by, then the light bulb moment. SAUSAGES, why not build a railway around sausages. :scratchhead:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sort of.  It all came about because I love sausage and mash.  I have been doing a bit of research on the potato railways of Lincolnshire, especially the Nocton Estate, then I remembered going there to compete in a pig judging competition many moons ago.  Thats when I started dreaming of days gone by, then the light bulb moment. SAUSAGES, why not build a railway around sausages. :scratchhead:

If it is good enough for Captain Kernow from Devon then it will be good enough for Andy.Er I thnik.....

• RMweb Gold

Yes it was quite interesting the amount of diffent livestock that was transported.  The Elephants looked as though they were going to have a tight squeeze getting into their compartments.  And not a Giraffe in sight :scratchhead:

You mean that Rovex Tri-ang wagon was not modelled on a prototype!!! 

On a model railway theme(?), it seems that George, over on 'Hempshaw' has decided to make his pointwork without chairs, being happy with a neat soldered joint and I have to say that the layout pictures would suggest that he could be right! I wonder what Andy's take on this might be? Should we use cosmetic chairs or not? Jason's 'Bacup' looks fantastic as agreed by the vast majority and to be honest I hadn't noticed the lack of chairs on the pointwork until a relation of Ms Rivette Counter mentioned it! It would be a truly tedious job on a large layout and I don't think it would notice at normal viewing distance. Did 'Heckmondwike' have chairs applied eventually? There certainly weren't any on the couple of articles I have in old modelling magazines.

By the way, of interest to Andy and all, I hope - got a book from the library called Model Railway Locomotive Building on the Cheap! By K. Chadwick. Although predominantly LNER in flavour, he has lots of ideas on how to convert RTR models to unusual variants and it does cover an S&DJR 7F 2-8-0 with a fairly ingenious method. Don't know if it would fit at 'Bitton'. He also has a clever way of producing a Stanier ex-LMS 2-6-0 which even I might manage! Might be a bit basic for most of you.

Hope this sparks off some useful debate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

You mean that Rovex Tri-ang wagon was not modelled on a prototype!!! 

I'll tell you a story that makes me cringe everytime I think about it.  I was firing on Britannia once and I needed to drag the coal from the back of the tender to the front.  I got in the tender half way up the coal heap and pushed a load forward then just as I was coming back through the tender doors an over bridge flashed by, lucky or stupid, I just plain forgot about the bridge, never, ever did that again. :nono:

Andy, quick post of the Templot I'm working on for you. I've based it on the map of Bitton wrapped around the baseboards you have. Its worked out quite well but I've had to tweak the yard behind the station a little to give you room and keep the track radius's ok. Based on the info Jason has provided for the crossing I've made an approximation which isn't likely o be 100% correct. I'm sure Jason can sort that bit out though for you. The first thing I notice is that there isn't a fat lot of space for the running lines and yard on your 30 inch wide scenic board. What are your thoughts?

post-6894-0-11511900-1415280297_thumb.png

• Like 6

Mick- the modern term for that is 'risk assessment', something I have come to embrace after a couple of near misses clambering on maintenance stands around aircraft.....and real accidents at home with ladders.....it is good discipline!

Mick- the modern term for that is 'risk assessment', something I have come to embrace after a couple of near misses clambering on maintenance stands around aircraft.....and real accidents at home with ladders.....it is good discipline!

I am a engineer by trade, so have been around all sorts of dangerous machinery, in factories, construction, farming, railway etc., been to many seminars and meeetings on H&S and still I have the odd lapse in safety occasionally though not intentionally.  I am far more concious of safety now but what others do sometimes frightens me to death.  Silly little things sometimes, like my wife put three boxes against the inside of the front door, she didn't understand when I complained that we could not get out quick if there was a fire, response was "I put them there so I wouldn't forget to put them in the car tomorrow" :scratchhead:

??????Where's bodge.....I have gone back FOUR pages and he has not posted once!!!!!!!

Have I missed something? Is he ok???????????

He might not be OK when he gets back: someone suggested posting about sausages on his thread, hence the strange postings on the last few pages!

Andy, quick post of the Templot I'm working on for you. I've based it on the map of Bitton wrapped around the baseboards you have. Its worked out quite well but I've had to tweak the yard behind the station a little to give you room and keep the track radius's ok. Based on the info Jason has provided for the crossing I've made an approximation which isn't likely o be 100% correct. I'm sure Jason can sort that bit out though for you. The first thing I notice is that there isn't a fat lot of space for the running lines and yard on your 30 inch wide scenic board. What are your thoughts?

attachicon.gifbitton_mk1.png

Just a thought here Andy but I would be tempted to cut off a 600mm x 600mm top left corner of the board and install it on the inside of the top left hand corner.  Or alternatively continue the backscene around the Bath end on the same centre as the track to reduce the curve effect and build a new triangular board (300 x 900) to give you a bit more station area....I'd continue the backscene around the North approach as well, in effect just behind the embankment.

• Like 1

I'm wondering what kind of grass Andy will choose to apply to Bitton? There are lots of different types of grass as you travel round the country and often the use of the static grass applicator leaves an effect more akin to Boris Johnsons hair-do! Most embankments I remember from my youth tend to have grass which lies in one direction, caused by the prevailing wind. Some layouts use it cross-crossed and matted which just looks wrong! When I'm feeling up to it, I walk our dog beside our railway line and find that it too tends to have grass which lies in mostly the same direction. Views might be useful to Sir Bodge on his return!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

I'm wondering what kind of grass Andy will choose to apply to Bitton? There are lots of different types of grass as you travel round the country and often the use of the static grass applicator leaves an effect more akin to Boris Johnsons hair-do! Most embankments I remember from my youth tend to have grass which lies in one direction, caused by the prevailing wind. Some layouts use it cross-crossed and matted which just looks wrong! When I'm feeling up to it, I walk our dog beside our railway line and find that it too tends to have grass which lies in mostly the same direction. Views might be useful to Sir Bodge on his return!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Most embankments and cuttings back in 50 and 60's were well kept, dare I say manicured to some extent.  There was pride back then in keeping things neat and tidy within the railway boundary.  A lot of grass was burnt off by passing steam locos and that which wasn't was often diliberately burnt by lineside gangs resulting in lush fresh growth the following year.  Today it is more likely to be overgrown shrubs and trees invading the lineside than areas of neat grass.

• Like 1

Yes, I remember reading that trees were not normally allowed to grow to any significant size, if at all, within the railway company boundary.  Although I'm sure this would only be near to lines and not on the road side of a station building or approach road.  This presumably would be to prevent likelihood of branches or wet leaves fouling rails....