Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Al the C+L track matches quite well with the C+L ABS parts for making your own turnouts the flexi trax just lacks the keys in the chairs.

The SMP goes well with the PCB based homemade turnouts (Marcway are made the same).

For the beginner to switch and crossing work the PCB based ones have the advantage of being easy to adjust if you haven't got it quite right. AS against that the use of the ABS chairs does produce a better looking track in my opinion. I have used it in 7mm and 2mm, However the biggest improvement in appearance stems from having a built crossing rather than the moulded plastic ones, neater tie bars, prototypical shape and being built to suit a location not forcing a standard turnout in. If you want more advice please ask but I suggest we do it on your thread rather than on Andy's

Don

When I started out I built mine from abs sleepers and chairs bought as seperates not a kit. I prefered to use copperclad at the crossing and to hold the switchblades where the isolation joint is. That way there is copperclad strengrh where it matters and the copperclad sleeper can be use as invisible wiring. I chaired the copperclad with half chairs to match the abs bits. I felt it looked good.

Hi Al,

On Dent, I used C&L in the scenic section with SMP plain track between the points. I used the 'B6' Point kits which are close to Peco Medium/Large radius but the advantage is you can curve them as you build them, however they are NOT copperclad! They are either plastic or plywood sleepers, I chose plastic. You have to also choose from three types of 'chair' to slide onto the rail before you begin attaching the chairs to the sleepers with 'Butanone'.

The point kit comprises (from memory) Outer stock rails; Vee and wing rails, pre-assembled!; Sleepers - various sizes; Chairs - 3 types; Fishplates; Switch blades - Milled to shape!; Other rail for check rails etc.

If you are going the Copperclad route then I am sure Marcway do a kit for this option. I followed a Templot plan from scratch and simply used Copperclad and rail from scratch also.

If you have a look at 'Dent' you will see the difference, I have deleted the old photo's on here or would have posted them, sorry.

Hope it helps, and don't be put off, I had very little info when I started and jumped in, so take your time and get the basics in place, that's the best advice I can give. Any questions just ask, I'm no expert but if I can help I will.

Thanks guys, for all your answers. I think I will follow Andy's lead and go with copper-clad sleepers and bullhead rail, and see how I go, rather than going for a kit first.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Andy.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for all your answers. I think I will follow Andy's lead and go with copper-clad sleepers and bullhead rail, and see how I go, rather than going for a kit first.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Andy.

So we can look forward to the 1968 look at Bakewell soon then AL. I can lend you some nice rail blue diesels for those track removal trains. :jester: Dr Al Beeching has returned :butcher:

Only kidding Al.

Sorry for the thread Hijack again Andy :)  

Unless its in my universe then you can hammer some rf 37s through on stone!!

Now you're talking, got some of those as well. and I know where he lives!!!  :biggrin_mini2:

Double Headed Tractors, coming out through that cutting WITH DCC SOUND,

NOW YOUR TALKING. :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Will we have the benefit of sharing the tales of your exploits today Mr. P?

We understood that you were to be visited by a certain gentleman from further up north, presumably to finish all your track building, laying, ballasting, signalling and scenic work so that you can press on with your next venture - hand-built points in 12" to 1' scale - which we believe you have every intention of completing by Tuesday evening!

P.S. I hope you both had a good day!

• Like 1

I remember commenting on you replacing your track way back when you did the excellent station building. The time wasnt right then I guess but would make such a difference to bakewell!

• Like 1

Will we have the benefit of sharing the tales of your exploits today Mr. P?

We understood that you were to be visited by a certain gentleman from further up north, presumably to finish all your track building, laying, ballasting, signalling and scenic work so that you can press on with your next venture - hand-built points in 12" to 1' scale - which we believe you have every intention of completing by Tuesday evening!

P.S. I hope you both had a good day!

Hi Ray, Yes George came down today but for us to complete some work an another Layout for a chap.

When we got there we had no decent lighting, could not pass each other as the room was so small, the pre work had not been done, he couldn't find any tools, extension lead for the soldering iron, etc and so it was really hard work.

I had the start of a cold, and George has not been well of late and so after an almost 2 Hour drive down, then 5 Hours trying to fit some point motors, we gave up and called it a day, then George had a 2 Hour drive home through some Snow around Buxton.

So  NO in short we did not have a nice day.

Apart from breakfast in Morrisons.

Andy,

Thanks for the post on the state of your health, and that of your dear friend George. I'm just getting over a nasty bug which was a bit like flu and felt really terrible for best part of the week - what neither of you needed was a 'mission impossible' like today's wasted journey!

I do hope you'll get well soon and keep us updated on how you feel, and I'm now popping over to Hempshaw to say the same to George.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

Hope both you and George get over those nasty bugs, it is debilitating as we all know. Okay enough of the sob story and get back to track making pronto! :no:  :no:

Mike is such a caring, understanding individual!

Yes, let's have more photos - please!

Jeff

Morning all, I wont be in the Shed for a couple of days, I feel really rough and Doctor Dee has told me to rest and keep warm, (and she's right (for once).

I'm even cancelling Lee coming up later to do some work.

I just have to go to the Post Office later to send off a Loco that I sold on E-Bay last night.

Catch you all later.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

Haven't popped in for a while, quite a while in fact. Works been a bit manic just recently. Anyway I can't believe how you've progressed.

Good on you for having a go at building your own track, it's looking superb. Unfortunately it's something I wouldn't do. A, due to a lack of time, and B, even more lack of talent. LOL.

I'll try and pop in a bit more frequently now. If I don't the next time I look the layout will probably be finished and you've moved on to your next project. HaHaHa.

All the best mate.

Regards

Marcus

I refer to one of my previous posts. Andy, despite being a noob to this, is making a plain turnout in 1 hr. All those of us, me included, who use lack of time as an excuse seem to be blown out of the water.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, I wont be in the Shed for a couple of days, I feel really rough and Doctor Dee has told me to rest and keep warm, (and she's right (for once).

I'm even cancelling Lee coming up later to do some work.

I just have to go to the Post Office later to send off a Loco that I sold on E-Bay last night.

Catch you all later.

Andy,

I don't know- Mince Pie weekend over and any excuse not to go down to the club!  Realistically get well soon and having been 'bitton' with the bug you will be chumping at the 'bit' for a couple of days because you can't get 'on' ... or is it fluids only?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Hope this nasty virus which is affecting quite a few around here, blows over soon for you.

You're making such great progress, it's highly inspiring to see and I'm pleased as punch to see young Al (and others) is/are taking the plunge too!

All the very best mates,

John.

nice to see you are moving forward......mot enough pictures ;p....... :jester:

if you see any m and n in the wrong place its not my typing honest.....i have a dodgy keyboard at the moment.....nust go change it.....LOL

Morning Bodge with the BUG.

Hope you are feeling better mate ?  notch up the heater, hot drinks and feet up should do the trick....

George

Hi Andy,

Hope this nasty virus which is affecting quite a few around here, blows over soon for you.

You're making such great progress, it's highly inspiring to see and I'm pleased as punch to see young Al (and others) is/are taking the plunge too!

All the very best mates,

John.

Big Bertha finished

I now have it!!

Hope Andy is OK - not seen him anywhere on the forum today

Evening George, John and Steve, I've done SOD ALL today, kept warm, done a little painting and just logged on here now as the eyes kept watering as I was coughing.

I'm hoping to get back into the Potting Shed on Thursday or Friday and get Big Bertha finished, it is complete, but just needs all the rest of the sleepers soldering now. 

Then its the last two points to do as one, they will also be joined to the curved point I built to go behind the Goods Shed so that I can fit itall down as one unit, (well that's the plan anyway).

Catch up again later.