RMweb

Hi Andy, I have been absent for a while and it has taken a bit of time catching up again. Hope everything went well this afternoon.

Good to see you are going to do something with all that space you have rather than just using it for storage.  I have attached a rough idea of how I would probably go about it. :boast:

attachicon.gifscan0009.jpg

In addition to your new fiddle yard/goods depot I have a more radical idea, what about modernising Bitton itself. :O

Keep the platforms and station building but give it the refurbished look with modern awnings, seating, lighting, painting, etc.

Demolish the goods shed. :O

Take up all the track in the yard and then relay it to make an Engineers Yard/Railway Recycling Centre with plenty of ballast and track panels and fittings about.

Only downside is that Big Bertha would propably have to go. :cry:

Hi Mick, All fairly good at Hospital thanks mate.

The new Goods yard will be fed from the Goods only Branch which was the old Bitton Headshunt. The right hand side of the new yard will go as you have drawn joining the Storage Yard line over the work bench.

Re changing Bitton, I may modernise the Station or have it boarded up and unused for passenger services.

Re the Bitton Yard itself, there are plans afoot to have a replacement shed for the late period with a Tin Warehouse, but retain the current shed for the Blue / 70's early 80's period with Brown Vans still using it.

The Old Coal Yard Sidings may be used as a staging post for dropping off wagons for the Freight Branch, but I may need to add one more siding.

• Like 5

Evening Marcus, its new to me, I must have lived a very sheltered life, but fear not, its not been purchased for Bitton.

Check out the link and all will be revealed.

By the way I'm kidnapping you and putting you in my loft when Im ready for backscences. They are seriously impressive mate.

Couldn't resist copying this classic across from another thread hahahahaha

I've been shunting on Bitton this morning and it didn't satisfy my needs.

My! Oh my! There is such a lot of beautiful stuff thats arrived on your thread Andy since I last looked - before going off to endure a wet week plus down in the Med.

I just love those wonderful videos of long slow runs through Bitton!

What a great impression of space. A prototypical 'feel for space' seems rarely achievable in modelling. There's often a compulsion to squeeze in every last detail.

The contrast between the space on one side of the room and the intricate density of the fiddle yard and depot on the other side of the room works beautifully.

As for the quote above, may I ask have you tried it with paper?

By which I mean setting out on paper a diagramatic amendment to the yard with a thick felt pen then test "shunting" it with a blue tack divisible train.  I had this recommended years ago, long before the days of computers, as a much less frustrating way of trialing/testing than actually relaying track.

I so love your before/after of the Jinty. Can,t wait for the pannier to get worked over.

And those great back drop paintings.

dh

Couldn't resist copying this classic across from another thread hahahahaha

My! Oh my! There is such a lot of beautiful stuff thats arrived on your thread Andy since I last looked - before going off to endure a wet week plus down in the Med.

I just love those wonderful videos of long slow runs through Bitton!

What a great impression of space. A prototypical 'feel for space' seems rarely achievable in modelling. There's often a compulsion to squeeze in every last detail.

The contrast between the space on one side of the room and the intricate density of the fiddle yard and depot on the other side of the room works beautifully.

As for the quote above, may I ask have you tried it with paper?

By which I mean setting out on paper a diagramatic amendment to the yard with a thick felt pen then test "shunting" it with a blue tack divisible train.  I had this recommended years ago, long before the days of computers, as a much less frustrating way of trialing/testing than actually relaying track.

I so love your before/after of the Jinty. Can,t wait for the pannier to get worked over.

And those great back drop paintings.

dh

Hi dh, Thanks for reminding me of that quote, and it WAS true, it was boring, but with a lot of input from RM Webbers and thought from myself, I think I have saved Bitton for prosperity.

Re the long slow goods rolling through Bitton, I too loved that and so that will continue.

My main love has always been shunting and so with the proposals for the new Yard and the Goods only Branch it should really help make Bitton a lot busier than it would have been in the 70's / Blue Period, and still produce prototypical running.

• Like 4

Andy you have cracked it the plan looks good with a  lot of operation I can see a weed/grass covered track and an 03 sauntering in with a few wagons tacked on and maybe a couple of locals wandering along with a dog.High brick walls from the tunnel would add atmosphere maybe with budlea growing out of it ,how many trains a day would serve this development?  By the way spent the afternoon in my shed and started on a rebuild of my layout put a turn back siding in the station and am thinking about the goods yard. Chris

• Like 1

Andy you have cracked it the plan looks good with a  lot of operation I can see a weed/grass covered track and an 03 sauntering in with a few wagons tacked on and maybe a couple of locals wandering along with a dog.High brick walls from the tunnel would add atmosphere maybe with budlea growing out of it ,how many trains a day would serve this development?  By the way spent the afternoon in my shed and started on a rebuild of my layout put a turn back siding in the station and am thinking about the goods yard. Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks, there will also be through Freight down to a Dock's / MOD Yard / ?, or something like that so that a loco will pick up Wagons from Bitton and maybe drop a couple at the Warehouse and then carry on down the Branch with the rest. The return working will collect from the Warehouse Yard and return them to Bitton for onward transfer to Bath, Bristol, London or the Midlands.

• Like 1

Just had a play with some bits of track.

Firstly this is something like I would like to emulate.

attachicon.gifHazel Grove 2012 Oct 27th 28th 058.JPG

attachicon.gifHazel Grove 2012 Oct 27th 28th 061.JPG

And I may put a disused Platform just before the Road over bridge at the workbench end.

Hi Andy

I hope you don’t mind me asking, from the novice amongst us, what layout is shown on your post #5168 dated 17 March 2015 - 12:51 . . . . oops, minus 6 hours = 06:51.

Thank you

Regards, Chris

Check out the link and all will be revealed.

By the way I'm kidnapping you and putting you in my loft when Im ready for backscences. They are seriously impressive mate.

You've got a lot to answer for Marcus.  I spent an hour this morning watching the eclipse, came on here and clicked your Youtube link, then saw The Train (1964) link and spent 2 hours watching that and I have been trying to catch up on todays jobs ever since. :wild:

• Like 1

Hi Andy

I hope you don’t mind me asking, from the novice amongst us, what layout is shown on your post #5168 dated 17 March 2015 - 12:51 . . . . oops, minus 6 hours = 06:51.

Thank you

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris, I'm not sure, there are two O Gauge Layouts on the Exhibition circuit that are very similar, I saw one at a show in Leistershire and the other at the Hazel Grove Show a couple of Years ago. Both were excellent and as, when I go to a show I take about 150 to 200 photos I always have plenty of reference material to work from for ideas. Both Layouts were set in the Green Diesel period and had lots of movements about the Yards.

Sorry I cant help any more than that.

Hi Andy

Thank you

Regards, Chris

Some cracking photos of imaginary locos on your Flickr page Chris :locomotive:

• Like 1