Can't be doing with all that Chocolate and Cream stuff, as you know I don't like dairy products!

Just the one Sir, just one tiny morsel perhaps, just one Wafer?

BANG!

whoops

:no: :no: :no: :no:

?

Andy, I don't know why you are saying this is your last great project, don't be so depressing.  Canal Road was meant to be my last great project, and just look, after 29 years I am pulling it apart, adding bits, subtracting bits - sound like a maths teacher - and low and behold, my next last great project.  Wonder what the one after this will be.

Derek

• Like 4

Andy, I don't know why you are saying this is your last great project, don't be so depressing.  Canal Road was meant to be my last great project, and just look, after 29 years I am pulling it apart, adding bits, subtracting bits - sound like a maths teacher - and low and behold, my next last great project.  Wonder what the one after this will be.

Derek

Hi Derek, your right I need to amend the heading to One of my Last Great Projects :no:

Bodge

• Like 1

Here are a couple more taken on the same day, which again I hope are of interest

attachicon.gifBitton towards bristol;.jpgattachicon.gifBitton towards Bath.jpgattachicon.gifBitton main buildings.jpgattachicon.gifBitton from the end of the Bath platform.jpg

I think I may still have one of the roadside, but its not really much different to today.

Kind regards

Duncan

Thanks for those Duncan, the first and last one are ones of areas I couldn't find decent pics of so they are really great, I needed to see the yard links and those are all great. They also give me better pics of the Signals and Signal Box location.

If you do find any more please post them.

Every pic is of great use even the Black and White ones.

Bodge

• RMweb Gold

The term Last Great Project started with Ken Payne so far as I know when Ken built a large building to house his 0 gauge layout and could not imagine starting over again.  He has kept the layout although he had rather got to the end of things to do on the layout. MRJ also used the term to describe David Jenkinson's last 0 gauge layout. I know that Ken's wife used to say to him slow down and take your time you will only get bored if you finish it too quick. For my part at 65 if I take 10 years to complete my loft project I would then be 75 and the prospect of starting another would be a bit worrying whether I would finish it. I cannot imagine Andy would take 10 years to complete the layout (my progress is positively glacial compared to Andy). So I expect Andy wil produce some more exhibition layouts which will be interesting.

Don

• Like 4

The term Last Great Project started with Ken Payne so far as I know when Ken built a large building to house his 0 gauge layout and could not imagine starting over again.  He has kept the layout although he had rather got to the end of things to do on the layout. MRJ also used the term to describe David Jenkinson's last 0 gauge layout. I know that Ken's wife used to say to him slow down and take your time you will only get bored if you finish it too quick. For my part at 65 if I take 10 years to complete my loft project I would then be 75 and the prospect of starting another would be a bit worrying whether I would finish it. I cannot imagine Andy would take 10 years to complete the layout (my progress is positively glacial compared to Andy). So I expect Andy wil produce some more exhibition layouts which will be interesting.

Don

Morning Don, Cheers for that, its fairly unlikely I will do many more Exhibition Layouts but I have decided to take my time with Bitton. there are numerous things I want to do different this time, things like baseboard construction, track, Point Motors, Buildings, and research.

Also the planning of the position of the Layout inside the Shed will be  a major deciding factor on other things that go on within the shed, i.e. room to move about to build anything else.

Remember its only 8 ft wide outside so about 7.5 inside, and each board will be a minimum of 2ft maybe more so the operating well will only be about 3ft or so, and maybe down to 2ft if I go for 2ft 6 inch boards for more scenics.

Loads of planning still to do on that side so that's what I'm working on each day.

I will be posting up some plans for discussion shortly.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 8

Morning Bodge,  l don't like the sound of LGP it sounds so final, l think it should be   Another  Great  Project, as you know you will be doing lots more when you are fully fit  AGP ?

George

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy I don't know whether you have made your choice on shed. Some come with double doors at the end others with a single one. From the point of view of a lifting section the single door would be easier although not as useful for takng large baseboards in and out. Regarding baseboard widths I would suggest a 2ft aisle would be rather tight. If you have a couple of mates round it would be everyone out if someone needed the loo. You shouldn't need a wide board on the fy side an 18 inch board should allow 8 tracks 24inch 12 tracks. That would allow  more room on the other side. However perhaps you need to create a passing place like we have on the little roads in Exmoor :jester:

Remember the planning is half the fun at the moment it is full of opportunities once you start building the number of possibilities shrinks :locomotive: :locomotive:

My space is actually tighter than yours considering the larger size. The main space is 23ftx 8ft11. That equates to 13ftx5ft1 in 00, which means a fairly tight oval.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Those photos from the 50s are the business. Midland in GWR country, but it could well be the S&C. Lovely Midland lower quad signals too.

Andy, have you got to grips with Templot? A great way to design a layout and by printing off the plan you know that it will fit your space to the mm before you cut any timber. Ask Gordon of ET.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

Morning Bodge,  l don't like the sound of LGP it sounds so final, l think it should be   Another  Great  Project, as you know you will be doing lots more when you are fully fit  AGP ?

George

OK OK OK, I get it, it will be changed, thanks for your input mate, as always tel me how it is, hahhah

Bodge.

• Like 1

Andy I don't know whether you have made your choice on shed. Some come with double doors at the end others with a single one. From the point of view of a lifting section the single door would be easier although not as useful for takng large baseboards in and out. Regarding baseboard widths I would suggest a 2ft aisle would be rather tight. If you have a couple of mates round it would be everyone out if someone needed the loo. You shouldn't need a wide board on the fy side an 18 inch board should allow 8 tracks 24inch 12 tracks. That would allow  more room on the other side. However perhaps you need to create a passing place like we have on the little roads in Exmoor :jester:

Remember the planning is half the fun at the moment it is full of opportunities once you start building the number of possibilities shrinks :locomotive: :locomotive:

My space is actually tighter than yours considering the larger size. The main space is 23ftx 8ft11. That equates to 13ftx5ft1 in 00, which means a fairly tight oval.

Don

Hi Don, the Shed is 16 x 8 and will have a single reenforced wood door or a Steel door, the glazing is real glass, not styrene.

Still trying to get hold of the man though.

I don't want to change to another supplier as I have asked 7 builders for Quotes now and he was the only one to give me a quote there and then, still waiting for the other SIX to quote from last Month.

Bodge.

Those photos from the 50s are the business. Midland in GWR country, but it could well be the S&C. Lovely Midland lower quad signals too.

Andy, have you got to grips with Templot? A great way to design a layout and by printing off the plan you know that it will fit your space to the mm before you cut any timber. Ask Gordon of ET.

Evening Jonathan, I have not tried Templot, I will have a look at it later, as for the plan well to be able to justify Midland, Southern and WR Locos and stock WITHOUT it being wrong is a bonus.

Just got to make it fit.

Bodge.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

Not sure Templot will be any good to you as I don't think there are any 'Peco' templates. Templot assumes you are going to make your own turnouts as it allows you to stretch and bend them to suit. Think I read somewhere you weren't into track building but if you fancy a go Templot is a good option and it's FREE. I've used 'AnyRail' before which has a full set of Peco templates and can be downloaded for free but it has a limited number of sections until you purchase a license. Can't remember how much it is but from memory is not expensive.

Ray.

Forgot to mention the SHED. Will be interesting to follow your progress on this as I've just demolished my somewhat 'rotten' 12' x 12' shed made from a ex WWII army barrack. Hoping to replace it with something about 5m x 3m (16 x 10) but still a lot of ground clearing to do before I know exactly how much room I've got.

Ray.

Hope you are OK Andy - always like your humour on here.

A good thread - keep dropping in the rig and axe shots - maybe a separate thread needed? :D

Ian

Evening Ian, Yes its good to look back at the old Gear, great Days.

Pleased you dropped in.

Bodge.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Ray, I may be going down the Marcway route for the points but I won't know until I get inside and have a play around.

Re the Shed, I wish I could do my own Groundworks, and I wish I could go for a bigger one.

Regards to Polly as well.

Bodge.

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention the SHED. Will be interesting to follow your progress on this as I've just demolished my somewhat 'rotten' 12' x 12' shed made from a ex WWII army barrack. Hoping to replace it with something about 5m x 3m (16 x 10) but still a lot of ground clearing to do before I know exactly how much room I've got.

Ray.

Dear Mr Tender

I am a little bit upset with you demolishing an ex-army barrack. I am sure it would have been up to the standard for my men to live in. Or if not I could have blown it up for you. It is bad enough that Bodgit person refused my offer to blow his shed up. You now seem to have joined him. And I do not believe it when I am told you cannot blow up sheds because of Health and Safety.

Yours very disgruntled

Lt Colonel La de Da hyphen Poshname

Rough Engineering Made Easy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John, Luck? hahhah I'll need a LOT of that this time.

Bodge.

Andy, I almost gave you a "disagree" for that comment!

YOU don't need any luck to produce something stunning. With the space you'll have, the thought you put into it (be single-minded and don't let us sway you too much!) and your talent (but DO slow down a bit), you'll produce a layout better than any of your previous (excellent) ones! And page 6 already! You'll be up with Peterborough North soon. But don't aim for 500+ pages as in KL - it's become a monster.

I also agree with Derek. LAST project? At your age - not a chance!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray

I am so sorry I left the office for two minutes and it looks like the Colonel has sent a post. I must remember to turn off the computer.

Yours

Cfn Clive

PS anyone else noticed it is day four and no trains running.

Edited by Clive Mortimore