DJM Dave

N gauge Pendolino voting  

143 members have voted

1. 1. A simple yes or no for this please

• Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
    • No I wouldn't.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The leaflets have arrived and I have also produced a couple of posters for the DJM stand at the RM Web show at the Ricoh...

post-420-0-88400200-1409941487_thumb.jpg

There'll be plenty of leaflets around next weekend, plus I will endeavour to get them circulated as widely as possible elsewhere...

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

If you want me to put up a couple of posters on kinlet wharf at the Ricoh let me know and tell me how to get hold of a couple.

Where better to put a poster of a needed train than on the layout that really needs that train! :)

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alistair

Very kind - PM sent.

If anyone else is attending TINGS - or any other shows in the coming weeks - with a layout or as trade and can display a poster or has space for leaflets please PM me and either Mike or I will send some.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Posters and flyers sent this morning to roundhouse, shanks522 and alibuchan among others....

But still the best part of a thousand flyers and plenty of posters left... so if you're exhibiting (or trading) at a show and want to support us pls PM me with name and address and event and I will put something in the post!

post-420-0-77899300-1410000709_thumb.jpg

My goal is to ensure that everyone who might be interested in this project at least knows about it!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Apologies if this is a little tangential, but I found this article interesting.

Nothing to do with Pendolinos, but an analysis of the impact of crowd-sourcing on the commercial banks - for whom it does not make comfortable reading...

http://bit.ly/Wssg0f

The Kickstarter campaign we are proposing follows the reward model - the third category mentioned.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hello all,

Just a quick thought I was having on my drive in to work this morning with regards to tilting.

Whilst I like the ability of the model to tilt as it goes round corners - how many of us actually have sufficient space for graceful curves to show off the effect. My return curves are all off scene so the majority of the tilt action is hidden. But the thing that is a bit concerning would be to see the train tilting as it went through a set of points.

Someone mentioned the Fleischmann ICE with tilting action - has anyone first hand (or at least viewed one running) experience of using one of these through a set of points? Just thinking aloud if the tilting action is really necessary? - evidently Ben, Mike and Dave will be the people who are best placed to make the final decision.

Wish I could find the money to pledge two of these - would look great passing each other.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

Tilt is still under discussion. There are a few videos online of the Fleischmann ICE-T - a you tube search brings them up.

I have mixed feelings. Originally I felt quite strongly that if the prototype tilts, and the Hornby one tilts, then ours should too. But having ridden a Pendolino recently I was struck by how it *only* tilts at high speed and then not that much, and certainly approaching stations or over points there is clearly no tilting.

Since a tilt mechanism that switches on and off is beyond us, I am coming to the view that dispensing with tilt may be a better option on balance.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Would the tilt be that noticable at 1:148? The APT tilts over at about 9 degrees at its maximum - at roof level this works out to be about 6 inches (1mm to scale).

Mechanical reliability is more important than tilt IMO.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Steven,

Although tilt is still under discussion, I can guarantee that we will only incorporate a solution that offers mechanical reliability. Having said that, I've heard no complaints or negativity about the reliability of the Fleischmann ICE-T - does anyone here have any direct experience of this model?

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC the tilt of a Pendolino is slightly less than the APT - possibly 8%.  Wiki reckons a difference of 380mm between the heights of either side of the roof ie one side goes 190mm up and the other same distance down which is roughly the same as Steven said in model form.

Cheers, Mike

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the fleischmann ICE-T https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IClY0RbyXVo (hoping it posts ok from my apple tablet). The quality is not great I struggled to notice the tilt as the train cornered possibly due to the angle it was shot from. The title was noticeable when it went over a point slowly.

On an aside I hope it has been wired for sound as the noise it makes was very off-putting

Matt

• RMweb Premium

The tilt on the ICE model is noticable but I'd question its accuracy given that you can't turn it on or off.

You don't see a Pendolino tilting as it passes through the point work at New Street, Crewe or Euston which is exactly what we'd get on a model (as per the ICE above). "Tilt" is much better done through canting the track by a fraction of a mm.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I agree with the last three posts, give the tilt a miss.

It's a nice idea and respect for exploring the possibility, but I really think it not necessary, perhaps even detrimental to producing an accurate scale model for the majority of potential purchasers (sorry to anyone modelling the open countryside with nice sweeping curves!).

Cheers,

Mark

Have to agree with the sentiment expressed above, in that tilt wouldn't be enormously important for me, but then this is a nice to have for me rather than a must.

I'll still be pledging my money to support this either way.

Hi Dave, Ben and Mike,

Best of luck with this project as it fills an enormous gap in modern image N. I've filled in the questionaire to support the project and expect to fund 2 rakes of 9. It might be interesting to put in a 'stretch' target on the project which might be to fund production and packaging for the two extra coaches for the 11 car rake. A different driving coach (unpowered?!) with coupler could be a further 'stretch' target as well. Those targets could be well beyond the 1000 off total to get the project off of the ground but be a little extra push for some people to try and get the total higher! Have you thought about doing the usual Kickstarter hats and t shirts thing to get cash into the project for people who want to contribute to the development?

As the owner of a Kato Eurostar set and now looking at getting a Kato/Lemke Carmillion duplex TGV in the near future (even though they would never run appropriately on my layout) I can see why people around the world might want to own something that they might never run in the correct era/place but just want something different and out of the (their) ordinary. Kickstarter might be the way to get a bigger audience than you expect and there may be technical/technology/lads magazines and websites happy to push and link to the project purely because it is a high value Kickstarter project rather than having any interest in model railways!

Thanks!

Dave

Agreed, to me the tilt on the ICE looks decidedly toy like, and in addition the real Pendolino only tilts on certain sections of the WCML I believe, so unless Dave is planning to design some microscopic transponders for people to plant on their layouts (that the train can read!) I would leave it off.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Thanks for the feedback on tilt.

If it were to be incorporated then it would only be similar to the Fleischmann system which is fairly basic - a taper on the lower surface of the coach body bears on a peg on the bogie, so as the bogie rotates the body is forced up.

From the comments here, and my own observations of the movements of the prototype, it seems that for most tilt as described above would make the models seem not more but less realistic.

Cheers

Ben A.

Just a thought but could a separate piece designed to clip in between the bogies and underfloor be made so that those that do want tilt can just clip them in place?

Obviously would add extra cost but it's should be possible.

Ian

How about incorporating the taper on the coach but supplying a standard bogie then the alternative bogie could be available as a 3d print for those who want the train to tilt?

Matt

Archived