Dapol scan DRS CLASS 68

Andy Y

Dapol SCAN DRS CLASS 68

CLASS 68 SCAN.jpg

Dapol has laser scanned one of DRS’s new class 68 locomotives as the first step in producing its proposed model in both OO and N.

The work was carried at DRS's Carlisle Kingmoor depot in late July and marks the ongoing cooperation between the Chirk-based manufacturer and the freight and charter train operator. DRS has ordered 25 locomotives, developed from the Vossloh "Euro-light" diesel-electrics but trimmed to fit the UK's smaller loading gauge and designated Class 68 "UK-Light" under TOPS. Once in squadron service the fleet will be used to deliver the full range of DRS operations with six locomotives being provided to Chiltern Railways under lease to haul “mainline” Chiltern Services, and at least two are being delivered in their silver-grey colours.

The locomotive scanned was 68005 which was parked outside the depot and adjacent to a raised platform to ensure the best results. The scanner is mounted on a tripod and rotates slowly, sending out thousands of laser pulses every second. These are reflected back and recorded to build up a "point cloud" image accurate to hundredths of a millimetre. "Laser scanning - although costly - is a wonderful research tool for manufacturers as it almost guarantees DRS and our customers that model locomotive will be the right shape," remarked Joel Bright, Dapol's managing director. The scanning process took just over an hour, and the data will now be sent to Dapol’s CAD team in China to begin the work translating it into computer files for components that can be moulded and assembled.

Unlike the angular Class 70 – recently introduced by Freightliner and now also in service with Colas – the Class 68 has more complex curves and flowing lines, and these can catch out model manufacturers. "With skilled interpretation of the data by our designers I am confident that our model of this attractive and distinctive locomotive will delight model railway enthusiasts in both OO and N gauge," said Mr Bright. Dapol says it’s hoping to have CAD files to show soon, with sample models in the UK around the end of the year.

Photograph courtesy of Tom Smith

Exciting news, I most certainly shall be buying as many as they want to produce. Laser scanners are outstanding, we have two £10k plus in my department, mainly used on coasts and cliffs - they create digital images down to individual grass leaves which excites me! It shall be interesting to see how the faded livery is re-created as we are told by other manufacturers that similarly complex liveries cannot be produced (FGW Local Lines). Hopefully the advance in technology in producing this model shall be a good lesson to the industry as a whole. Bring on November/December to see a sample!

Given that it is a brand new locomotive built in Europe I would have thought that the manufacturer would have metric CAD files available to avoid having to scan it.

Rather agree with you on that one - I believe that's how Bachmann produced the 350, by working with Siemens and utilising the CAD files from the real thing.

Unlike the angular Class 70 – recently introduced by Freightliner and now also in service with Colas – the Class 68 has more complex curves and flowing lines, and these can catch out model manufacturers. "With skilled interpretation of the data by our designers I am confident that our model of this attractive and distinctive locomotive will delight model railway enthusiasts in both OO and N gauge," said Mr Bright. Dapol says it’s hoping to have CAD files to show soon, with sample models in the UK around the end of the year.

I would think that they do have CAD from Vossloh, I know DRS shared the drawings, but perhaps Dapol want to make sure they get all the various complex curves and flowing lines correct but confirming through a laser scan. That is what I gathered from the announcement.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am sure Dapol wouldn't spend the cash on a 3D scan unless they felt it was a good idea; it may be that the CAD designers they use in China have indicated that 3D scan data is easier and faster to work from than manufacturer drawings which probably incorporate far more detail than is needed and may therefore take a lot more time to interpret.

And it also seems to me to be good practice to work direct from the real thing anyway; there's always the chance that the vehicle *as built* isn't quite the same as the drawings; in addition I have heard it suggested that modifications needed to overcome a few teething troubles necessiated some slight changes to grilles etc, though I do not know if this is correct.

cheers

Ben A.

Looks good!

Although it'll be interesting to see how they do it, as the first 3 sets of 68s have all been delivered with modified technical spec. 68002 is the original and the later ones have had more fuel, different filler caps, finer mesh on some grills etc. 68006 onwards have the mods already I think?

Looks good!

Although it'll be interesting to see how they do it, as the first 3 sets of 68s have all been delivered with modified technical spec. 68002 is the original and the later ones have had more fuel, different filler caps, finer mesh on some grills etc. 68006 onwards have the mods already I think?

It would seem that Dapol have landed on their feet with this one as it will allow them to do the variations with the minimum effort,

• RMweb Premium

Looks good!

And then 68008-68015 will have the AAR MU sockets.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Me to , bring it on DCC sound onboard factory fitted in a book set with 6 MK3 Blue grey Chiltern trains logoed stock and Debranded DVT book set, would be the way to go.  

cant wait for this the real thing at Crewe open day was noisey as hell but quite "awesome" and beauty in eye of beholder - its curves do not really hide everything but a looker all the same, not sure how "timeless" the design is with its auto style curves and face l lamps just want some eyelashes !

Certainly the scan will allow creation of a good  set of moulds but getting it all to work will be fun. Hopefully something by year end wlll be good if capacity allows it.  

All strength to Dapol on this one.

Robert

• 3 months later...

Archived