Deneside - BR North Eastern Region

Brian D

No further track laying progress - too much family stuff going on at the moment.  But I have added a mocked up conveyor structure linking the pit head building mock up to the screens mock up.

post-1115-0-42084700-1497711724_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-49954000-1497711767_thumb.jpg

It's a right old mock up :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 7

I don't know- I take a couple of weeks off from reading your blog and you've moved on a mile......

I have found that using the Peco surface mounted motors at a distance from the point is viable.   I've used one old copper tube (Gem) and two slippery sid on Croft Spa and all throw well enough. The point motors could be mounted behind the backscene (which is where they will be on Croft Spa).  That makes the things easily accessible for adjustment assuming your backscene will lift off.

All the very best

Les

• Like 2

I don't know- I take a couple of weeks off from reading your blog and you've moved on a mile......

I have found that using the Peco surface mounted motors at a distance from the point is viable.   I've used one old copper tube (Gem) and two slippery sid on Croft Spa and all throw well enough. The point motors could be mounted behind the backscene (which is where they will be on Croft Spa).  That makes the things easily accessible for adjustment assuming your backscene will lift off.

All the very best

Les

Thanks for this Les.  As it stands at the moment I have ordered and received a Gem Mercontrol trial pack which I am going to experiment with for the three pit yard points - the idea of mechanical switching (as prototype) appeals.  I propose to use slide switches to both shift the point blades and change the frog polarity. A small sub panel is planned on the baseboard edge in close proximity to these points to control the pit yard so these short wire in tube linkages should do the trick.  I'll give this a go by only pinning (rather than gluing) the track down for a while and giving it a good test and if it doesn't work I can lift it all and there is only one point that needs an above board point motor which I can hide with a small shed or similar structure.

Best Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Mrs D presented me with my Birthday present this morning :) :)

An interesting box...

post-1115-0-54135000-1498578380_thumb.jpg

...which was duly unpacked...

post-1115-0-30423500-1498578721_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-15103700-1498578772_thumb.jpg

...and the shunter sent down the colliery branch.

post-1115-0-39843900-1498578866_thumb.jpg

Well, actually, erm, there's no juice in the colliery branch track yet but you get the idea :jester:.

As the weather today in Thameside Essex has been a bit indifferent, my Birthday outing comprised of a bit of retail therapy at the always excellent John Dutfield model shop in Chelmsford where enough points, track etc has been acquired to finish the colliery branch.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 4

That looks a little beauty Brian, If it runs as nice as the Hattons / DJM 1366 I had then you should be well pleased with it.

The jury is still out Andy.  At the moment I'm a little disappointed with the running, although S*ds Law seems to be at work as the little shunter keeps stalling at points were the Seep PM polarity switch is playing up.  It probably needs running in and possibly a good wheel clean because at the moment my ancient Hornby J94 is the better runner.  Hopefully the DJM shunter will improve.

Have you got a name for the colliery yet?

As Easington Lane isn't that close to Easington would Hawthorn Lane Colliery work?

Just a thought.

Les

Still not gone public on the layout name yet Les, never mind the colliery.  I have a few names I'm mulling over but Hawthorn Town is not one of them.

Happy Birthday, Brian!  :drinks:

Thanks mate.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Whilst I bought track and points yesterday, I stupidly didn't buy rail joiners mistakenly thinking I already had enough so track laying has not commenced yet.  But I have been further checking the position of the three colliery yard points as below.

post-1115-0-25082100-1498664152_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-60304400-1498664282_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-26501200-1498664480_thumb.jpg

All ok - the shunter and maximum train length just clear the kick back siding which is good.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 5

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mate, I had problems with the Seep / PM1's with them not always switching the Frog, have you thought about a Frog Juicer?

Thanks Andy, another year older...........

I'm DC Andy.  If my very limited knowledge of DCC is correct then what you are suggesting is only appropriate for DCC but I may be wrong.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Andy, another year older...........

I'm DC Andy.  If my very limited knowledge of DCC is correct then what you are suggesting is only appropriate for DCC but I may be wrong.

Regards,

Brian

I think Gaugemaster do something similar for DC mate, might be worth a phone call to the shop.

• Like 1

Whilst I bought track and points yesterday, I stupidly didn't buy rail joiners mistakenly thinking I already had enough so track laying has not commenced yet.  But I have been further checking the position of the three colliery yard points as below.

attachicon.gif20170628_105624.jpg

attachicon.gif20170628_105633.jpg

attachicon.gif20170628_105645.jpg

All ok - the shunter and maximum train length just clear the kick back siding which is good.

Regards,

Brian.

Might not the run into the outer siding be better with the point to the kick back siding changed to a LH?

Pete.

P.S. Happy Birthday!

Edited by Toftwood
  • Like 1

Might not the run into the outer siding be better with the point to the kick back siding changed to a LH?

Pete.

P.S. Happy Birthday!

That was a very good suggestion so I looked into it further.  Not having a left hand point, I turned the right hand point over to replicate a LH point and placed it carefully in position thus.

post-1115-0-87692600-1498838832_thumb.jpg

Looking at this I think the righthand track (the tail of the LH point) now tends to veer too much towards the centre track and some odd looking short curves might result in order to acheive three parallel tracks.

So reverting to the RH point in this position, this is what it looks like.

post-1115-0-13264700-1498839358_thumb.jpg

post-1115-0-18371900-1498839403_thumb.jpg

I think this will be fine - the grey Peco tracksetta is 30 inch radius and the two tracks to the screens on the AnyRail track print are two far toward the baseboard edge, in reality they will be closer to the backscene.  A bonus to all this point position adjustment means that potential point motors now do not seem to clash with baseboard members beneath.

Anyway Pete, thanks for the suggestion, it was well worth checking out.

Regards,

Brian.

PS Thanks for the Birthday greeting.

• Like 2

That was a very good suggestion so I looked into it further.  Not having a left hand point, I turned the right hand point over to replicate a LH point and placed it carefully in position thus.

attachicon.gif20170630_125011.jpg

Looking at this I think the righthand track (the tail of the LH point) now tends to veer too much towards the centre track and some odd looking short curves might result in order to acheive three parallel tracks.

So reverting to the RH point in this position, this is what it looks like.

attachicon.gif20170630_124845.jpg

attachicon.gif20170630_125159.jpg

I think this will be fine - the grey Peco tracksetta is 30 inch radius and the two tracks to the screens on the AnyRail track print are two far toward the baseboard edge, in reality they will be closer to the backscene.  A bonus to all this point position adjustment means that potential point motors now do not seem to clash with baseboard members beneath.

Anyway Pete, thanks for the suggestion, it was well worth checking out.

Regards,

Brian.

PS Thanks for the Birthday greeting.

The view looking down on the three points together suggested that to me, I did not realise how much room you had on the outer edge.  If you try it again, maybe a small length inserted between the points to ease to confliction.  However, if you are happy with what you have then so be it.

Pete

Belated birthday greetings Brian, I like the look of the austerity.

Just came across this site for laser cut card kits and thought of your headgear.

https://www.modelux-models.co.uk/mining-home

Regards,

Tom

Thanks for that link Tom - the kits look great and cheep as chips. I'll investigate further when I get home (on my tablet in a hot place with Mrs D at the moment).

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

The view looking down on the three points together suggested that to me, I did not realise how much room you had on the outer edge.  If you try it again, maybe a small length inserted between the points to ease to confliction.  However, if you are happy with what you have then so be it.

Pete

Thanks again Pete for you interest. It's difficult to fully explain on here using dodgy camera phone pics but in the flesh (ie the shed) I think my suggestion will be fine.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

If you park the pit shunter on that spur, can you use it to shunt the train upon arrival with the train engine at the far end?

Not with the max fiddle yard length train and Q6/O1. I foresaw this issue and had already decided to park said shunter in either of the screen roads prior to empty coal trains arriving or by shortening the train. It could be the case that main line engines will not be permitted on the colliery branch. Still a bit of a moving feast at the moment mate.

Regards,

Brian.