Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

The cylinders drove the intermediate axle, and a line through front to rear of the cylinder centres but extended rearwards should intersect the driving axle, i.e. the cylinders should slope downwards towards their rears.

• Like 1

That'll make the proprietors of Wizard and London Road Models look forward to  selling lots of their LNWR carriage and wagon kits to all those new and enthusiastic LNWR loco owners. 247 will hopefully have stocks of new number plates so that each new owner can personalise his loco to stand out from the crowd, although there doesn't seem to be anyone on the traders list who will have LNWR lining for those who wish to apply that to their plain black locos.  :jester:

Is not the same as BR mixed traffic lining?

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/transfers/transferdetails.php?transferid=1025

Might not be any at York - traders may have packed up yesterday to set stands up today so may have filled their van before they got any delivery yesterday. Being a Bank Holiday today unlikely for any now to be delivered until tomorrow which will be too late unless different staff are covering Sunday and/or Monday in which case some may have them later in the show but not on Saturday.

Edited by Butler Henderson

The cylinders drove the intermediate axle, and a line through front to rear of the cylinder centres but extended rearwards should intersect the driving axle, i.e. the cylinders should slope downwards towards their rears.

That's correct, I can remember seeing kits built of outside cylinder engines where thecylimders were horizontal, and in real life the centre of the cylinder was say 6" above the centre of the driven axle centre line.

As I stated in a another topic, when you've been an engineer, you want/need to know how the real thing works, to comprehend how the model should look.   A very good friend of mine built a Victorian class of loco, above the footplate, beautiful, it even had a Ian Rathbone paint job.   But below the smokebox / footplate was a void, nothing.  No representation of cylinders or other heavy metal to drive the engine.  The lads from the Cardiff Club took full advantage to give him supportive advice..  :jester: 

Is not the same as BR mixed traffic lining?

http://www.hmrs.org.uk/transfers/transferdetails.php?transferid=1025

Might not be any at York - traders may have packed up yesterday to set stands up today so may have filled their van before they got any delivery yesterday. Being a Bank Holiday today unlikely for any now to be delivered until tomorrow which will be too late unless different staff are covering Sunday and/or Monday in which case some may have them later in the show but not on Saturday.

I prefer to think that BR Mixed Traffic lining was the same as LNWR.

Suitable transfers are available from Fox, Modelmaster and HMRS. So far I have only used the last two, but will try Fox in future. Ideally a coat of satin varnish, with a small amount of black to tone down the transfers, helps to protect the them from handling. 

Guest Midland Mole

BCT%201.jpg

BCT%202.jpg

BCT%203.jpg

BCT%204.jpg

BCT%205.jpg

BCT%206.jpg

BCT%207.jpg

BCT%208.jpg

BCT%209.jpg

BCT%2010.jpg

BCT%2011.jpg

Our Bachmann delivery this morning contained two of the six Coal Tanks we had ordered (who knows where the other four are?). Suffice to say they lasted all of ten minutes, literally! :D

I wont say much, other than I am extremely happy with the loco and it is everything I hoped it would be. :)

Alex

Edit: We will be getting our other four. Bachmann are always quick to help us when these rare problems occur with orders. To be honest all the manufacturers are great in these situations.

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 12

Went and picked mine up this morning, test run no problems, decoder fitted (Hattons 18 pin ) really responsive and smooth runner. What a beauty !.

Roll on the Johnson tank .

Edited by johnd
  • Like 2

What an excellent looking loco - and etched plates as well, which will save a bit of money. Mine was sent from Model Railways Direct yesterday and I can't wait to get it.

I have just bought a copy of "Bashers, Gadgets and Mourners" (which is mentioned on the literature in the loco packaging) on eBay for £27.99 and there is one left if anyone is interested.

It was originally £19 but Bookfinder (I would forget Blackwells, as they routinely list long out of print books) 123 Price Check and Amazon all show high prices.

Cheers, Patrick (very close to the old LNWR)  

• Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Midland Mole - It ticks all the boxes  :sungum: 

I should change my name to Midland & LNWR Mole, but then I lose the alliteration. :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

I should change my name to Midland & LNWR Mole, but then I lose the alliteration. :D

Alex

Why not 'midlands' lines mole', then you're also covered for when Hornby spring a J6 on us later in the year....

Edited by Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

Alex

No, the true Midland enthusiast's justification for having a LNWR engine on hand is to have a reminder of just how much larger, more elegant and better engineered Johnson's engines were than Webb's...

No, the true Midland enthusiast's justification for having a LNWR engine on hand is to have a reminder of just how much larger, more elegant and better engineered Johnson's engines were than Webb's...

Hmmm. Of course, the LNWR was able to run its trains to time...

• Like 2

Also the Midland engines were so good that they often used two of them on the basis that you could not have too much of a good thing. Where as the LNWR would just use one engine and flog it.

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole

I for one think it is time we set aside this ancient feud. MR & LNWR fans should unite and work together to annoy fans of any other pre-grouping companies by proving how massively, and blatantly, superior they were to all the others!

:P

Alex

• Like 1

The MR had a small engine policy to match its small mindedness, which wouldn't have mattered had it not been bequeathed the operation of the mighty LMS railway. At the same time, the LNWR had nothing to write home about when the only footplate crews able to cope with LNW engines foibles were LNW men. Nevertheless, it was a tribute to the power of the North Westerns big engines in coping with the West Coast mainline trains that Stanier initially referred to  'Improved Superheated Prince of Wales' locos when drawing up a range of new standard classes. What eventually emerged had no bloodline to anything the LNWR or even the LMS had produced, but was really a LH drive GWR 'Hall' with outside motion and superheating to suit poor coal. So what's this got to do with a Coal Tank? Now't!

• Like 2

The reality is that the Midland and LNWR were very different railways with different operating criteria, and needed very different engines to work to its own individual needs. The engines that each produced were suited to those needs: LNWR types were good on the LNWR; Midland types were good on the Midland. The problem was that on the formation of the LMS Midland operating men rose to the top in the new hierarchy, and Midland types predominated in conditions very different to those on the Midland. Had LNWR men reached the top, a similar situation would no doubt have unfolded, but in reverse.

While good on their own turf, neither LNWR or Midland types travelled well, as it were, and something new was needed for use across the entire railway. Some new 1920s LMS designs answered this requirement, others fell lamentably short. It wasn't until William Stanier's arrival that things settled down and universal engines appeared, but even then omnly after a certain amount of trial and error. It turned out that GWR ideas didn't always travel well either!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The L&Y had a lot of fore sight unfulfilled.

They had plans for a fleet of thru brake fitted freight wagons, a 4-6-2 was in the drawing office, the Dreadnought was for a period the most powerful loco in the country, out doing the GWR castle and had a major influence on many of the UKs leading locomotive designers careers, (Gresley, Maunsell and Bulleid all worked for the L&Y), of course Staniers first design was based on the Crab, and the Princess looks a lot like the planned 4-6-2.

The MR may be small, the LNW fussy, but if the L&Y had been more financially funded (or had a London influence), it would have been fleet logistically stronger than them all, instead it became the easy victim of the Derby / Crewe feud.

Had 1923 not happened, the 1922 merged LNWR/L&Y 10 years down the road would have been a very interesting place. I was reading the other day that even prototype 42700's tender (continuous since 1926) is a twice withdrawn 1881 MR heritage chassis (ex Johnson 2-4-0 withdrawn 1899, the exSpinner 4-2-2 withdrawn 1926.. the LMS didn't even give it a new built one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

the Dreadnought was for a period the most powerful loco in the country, out doing the GWR castle

...certainly in coal consumption. Much as I like the Lanky, I doubt even the sorted Dreadnoughts were as good a practical tool as the Castles, though they were handsome in that overstuffed late L&Y way.

of course Staniers first design was based on the Crab

Wasn't the Crab based on a Caledonian design with one of Hughes's low pressure boilers and cylinders to match?

...certainly in coal consumption. Much as I like the Lanky, I doubt even the sorted Dreadnoughts were as good a practical tool as the Castles, though they were handsome in that overstuffed late L&Y way.

Wasn't the Crab based on a Caledonian design with one of Hughes's low pressure boilers and cylinders to match?

Stanier Crab was a misnomer. The Stanier 2-6-0 had more in common with the 2-6-4T 'motor' part with higher boiler pressure enabling smaller cylinders and married to a GWR Swindon type taper boiler and Hughes L&Y cab.

But just to keep this entry on-topic, a Coal Tank is a must of my 4mm/00 Carrog even if i have to invent a Heritage Fully Hour.....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I for one think it is time we set aside this ancient feud. MR & LNWR fans should unite and work together to annoy fans of any other pre-grouping companies by proving how massively, and blatantly, superior they were to all the others!

:P

Alex

Hum - we both got "funny" from The Stationmaster - I can't think why. You don't suppose he has some other railway in mind?

As to double heading on the LNWR...

• RMweb Gold

BCT%201.jpg

BCT%202.jpg

BCT%203.jpg

BCT%204.jpg

BCT%205.jpg

BCT%206.jpg

BCT%207.jpg

BCT%208.jpg

BCT%209.jpg

BCT%2010.jpg

BCT%2011.jpg

Our Bachmann delivery this morning contained two of the six Coal Tanks we had ordered (who knows where the other four are?). Suffice to say they lasted all of ten minutes, literally! :D

I wont say much, other than I am extremely happy with the loco and it is everything I hoped it would be. :)

Alex

Edit: We will be getting our other four. Bachmann are always quick to help us when these rare problems occur with orders. To be honest all the manufacturers are great in these situations.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Is this the livery the coal tank is in now?

The pictures from the 1980s show it lined out.

Thanks