Martin Finney retired

MPR

Blimey.  Do you have stashes of Ultrascale wheels and RG4s to complete them?

Whenever I ordered a model from Martin I ordered a set of Ultrascale wheels to go with them, so they all have wheelsets. Far easier than deciding you want to make a start on something and then having to wait 6 months for the wheels. Never been that impressed with RG4 motors and as I only came back to UK modelling in 2008 I have never felt the urge to use them. High level gearboxes and Mashima motors for me.

CraigW

Guest Lyonesse

Whenever I ordered a model from Martin I ordered a set of Ultrascale wheels to go with them, so they all have wheelsets. Far easier than deciding you want to make a start on something and then having to wait 6 months for the wheels. Never been that impressed with RG4 motors and as I only came back to UK modelling in 2008 I have never felt the urge to use them. High level gearboxes and Mashima motors for me.

CraigW

I'm very impressed.

My own Martin Finney fleet have --- except for the 47XX, which has an RG4 --- Mashima can motors and home made three stage gearboxes, with Ultrascale gears.  They also all have Ultrascale wheels.  Having just received the kits from Martin which I ordered in October, I can now go ahead and order wheels.  But then I'm in no rush.

The silence from the new owner of the Martin Finney 4mm range speaks volumes.   It also does not say much for the new owners marketing acumen not to strike when the iron is hot; a lot of their potential target audience will be readers of this forum and are awaiting news.

The lack of communication smacks of other ranges that have changed hands and then disappeared.  I do hope this range has not gone that way.

• RMweb Gold

The silence from the new owner of the Martin Finney 4mm range speaks volumes.   It also does not say much for the new owners marketing acumen not to strike when the iron is hot; a lot of their potential target audience will be readers of this forum and are awaiting news.

The lack of communication smacks of other ranges that have changed hands and then disappeared.  I do hope this range has not gone that way.

Blimey give them a chance. We have no idea what the state of the business when it was sold/passed on and whether it has actually happened.*

Although this is a good forum it's not the only one out there.

* I have been trying to buy an office from its owner since November last year, a cash sale and should of been completed in a matter of days but a third party became involved because of the nature of his business and it was eventually concluded last Monday (30th March) so while there may be a an "announcement" from one party it does not mean the other party is able to fulfill it.

Blimey give them a chance. We have no idea what the state of the business when it was sold/passed on and whether it has actually happened.*

There were only a couple of tender kits left, plus inside motion kits and detailing parts, constituting the remaining stock.

Trying to get hold of and co-ordinate the various producers / suppliers of castings, etches, etc. is not for the faint-hearted, and it may well be that new terms, conditions and increased prices will apply.

There were only a couple of tender kits left, plus inside motion kits and detailing parts, constituting the remaining stock.

Trying to get hold of and co-ordinate the various producers / suppliers of castings, etches, etc. is not for the faint-hearted, and it may well be that new terms, conditions and increased prices will apply.

I would expect Martin had the business well documented, so there should be no difficulty in knowing where to source components, who holds the etch tooling, etc. Of course it would take time to set up new accounts with the various suppliers and then order/obtain what is required, possibly as much as two months (one popular etch company has a lead time of about six weeks). 

As Martin seems to have sold all the kits, there is no stock to take over, so it is effectively a new start up to get going again.

I agree there will be a lead time before the kits become available again, and I suspect they will be released depending on the demand, as is now the case with the Alan Gibson range.

It would make sense for the new owner to start canvassing demand in order to prioritise kit production.

Personally I am ready to order or reserve quite a few kits when they become available again.

Following the announcement from Martin Finney of his retirement Brassmasters are pleased to announce that we have acquired the 4mm range of Martin Finney kits. These high quality kits have been admired by ourselves and fellow finescale modellers since their introduction; this will ensure their future production and will complement the existing Brassmasters range. It is our intention to make the castings, sundry components and complete kits available as soon as possible and in the longer-term to introduce new kits.

Martin is working with us to ensure a smooth handover and when this is complete we will then set out our future plans. However realistically it is unlikely that any of the kits will be available again until the Autumn.

We will provide a regular update via our website www.brassmasters.co.uk and newsletter.

Following the announcement from Martin Finney of his retirement Brassmasters are pleased to announce that we have acquired the 4mm range of Martin Finney kits. These high quality kits have been admired by ourselves and fellow finescale modellers since their introduction; this will ensure their future production and will complement the existing Brassmasters range. It is our intention to make the castings, sundry components and complete kits available as soon as possible and in the longer-term to introduce new kits.

Martin is working with us to ensure a smooth handover and when this is complete we will then set out our future plans. However realistically it is unlikely that any of the kits will be available again until the Autumn.

We will provide a regular update via our website www.brassmasters.co.uk and newsletter.

Brilliant news David. As a customer of both concerns I am hard put to think of a better place for the Finney range to go to. Brassmasters products and customer service are a fitting home.

Regards,

Craig W

What a relief!

Time to save up again (if the racehorse allows me some of her budget)....

• RMweb Gold

At least there's now two 'sold' firms that we can wholeheartedly rely on to continue the excellent products.

More than we can say for many though, who seem to have been bought and vows have been made to continue but seem to have sunk without trace.

Perhaps somebody could list those that seemed to have fallen into that category or whatever their known status is.

I'm thinking of Falcon Brass, Craftsman, NNK...or perhaps some of these are still in 'trading' existence.

.....many though, who seem to have been bought and vows have been made to continue but seem to have sunk without trace.

Perhaps somebody could list those that seemed to have fallen into that category or whatever their known status is.

I'm thinking of Falcon Brass, Craftsman, NNK...or perhaps some of these are still in 'trading' existence.

It's quite a small but important list, although Falcon Brass seem to be getting their act together, however painfully.

Craftsman

No Nonsense Kits

Churchward Models

DMR Models

Sharman Wheels

Impetus

Coopercraft

Slaters (4mm only)

Blacksmith Models

Probably more accurate to say they "exist" (in the widest possible sense of the word), but can hardly be said to be trading. One business in particular has accounted for the limbo of four names in the list.

Guest Lyonesse

Yes, great news.  All the best to Brassmasters and Martin in getting the range up and running again, and perhaps expanding it.  (Although there is little left that isn't already covered by high quality RTR these days.)  Time to start saving.

• RMweb Gold

Great news, and the parts will be available as well (even better news)

Now if (over time) you can upgrade the instructions to include the photos of the build that you get on an easychas kit, even better.

Very happy to hear it's in safe hands, and look forward to getting a bulldog in the new year...

Guest Lyonesse

Great news, and the parts will be available as well (even better news)

Now if (over time) you can upgrade the instructions to include the photos of the build that you get on an easychas kit, even better.

Very happy to hear it's in safe hands, and look forward to getting a bulldog in the new year...

Yes, I fancy another Bulldog.  And a V2.

Although this is a good forum it's not the only one out there.

That is very much a matter of opinion! AFAIC the rest are just mere copies, ME2's, shadows ...

Although I accept that not having any stock would be quite a problem when taking over a business (and would constitute the greatest part of any value in the acquisition) the trick here is all about marketing and maintaining any value in the good(will) name of the product. That good(will) has a very short life and is damaged quickly by gaps in trading, no matter how they are caused. Building stock levels is not an overnight happening and there will be orders out there for some kits in preference to others. Getting a handle on what is most popular and will fly off the shelf would be valuable customer knowledge on which kits should get priority. Most folk who buy kits would be reasonable people and will understand a delay as long as there is some progress report. Just vanishing into the unknown just makes buyers look elsewhere. (snapping up eBay kits at illy prices in desperation?; or, simply looking at alternatives.)

Craftsman

No Nonsense Kits

Churchward Models

DMR Models

Sharman Wheels

Impetus

Coopercraft

Slaters (4mm only)

Blacksmith Models

Probably more accurate to say they "exist" (in the widest possible sense of the word), but can hardly be said to be trading. One business in particular has accounted for the limbo of four names in the list.

And one other business accounts for the dissapearance or in limbo of 3 other ranges, so between two businesses we have potentially lost 7 ranges!

Anyway I am very pleased that Brassmasters have taken over the Finney range and I think from todays posts there is already a pattern emerging as to what will be the best sellers of a gradually re-introduced range of loco's.

One other range that seems to have gone to a safe pair of hands is the Southwark Bridge range now with Roxey Mouldings.

The two other 4mm ranges that have sadly dissapeared in the last year or so have been North Eastern Design with their range of LNER and constituent coach etches, some 30 odd different diagram numbers. The other being Zenith Models with their loco kits for the H&B Q10, J23, H1, G3  the GNR Q1,R1 and the GCR Q4, admittedly only a couple of these reached full production but the others I believe were close to being launched as test builds had been completed for all of those not in production. Useful ranges for the LNER modeller.

Archived